Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Go Kart Discussion

Notices

Old 06-16-2018, 10:02 AM

Default Wheel Bearing Spacer Questions

This is my first kart and I'm working on replacing tires for a Manco 103. When I put the new bearings and the spacer in between, the bearings don't turn freely as they did before inserted. It seems the spacer is touching the inner surface of both bearings and the wheel doesn't spin freely.

Should the spacer be touching both bearings so that when I turn one of the bearings with my finger it should spin freely and also spin the bearing on the other side?

I also have one spacer that seems to be too short and even with both bearings pressed in all the way it still slides around. It seems like the spacer is too short or maybe got swapped between one of the other wheels by accident.

-Dave
Old 06-16-2018, 10:30 AM

The spacers should be exactly long enough so that the inner races both touch the spacer at the same point the snap ring or lip on the outer race seats against the hub bore. That way, when you tighten down the axle nut, it is not applying a thrust load to the inner races. If the spacers are the proper length, you should be able to tighten the axe nuts really hard, and it will not bind the wheel.

New bearings (as odd as it sounds) will not spin as freely under no load as worn bearings will, because they are packed with thick grease and the seals are making full contact.

Too long of a spacer and the bearings won't seat in the hub.

Too short of a spacer, and the axle nut will squeeze the inner races and bind up the bearings.

Just right, and the bearings seat fully, with the axle nut tightened down, and the wheel still spins smoothly.
The Following User Says Thank You to anickode For This Useful Post:
gr8hairy1 (06-16-2018)
Old 06-16-2018, 02:21 PM

Thanks for all the info! I will put the wheels back on and tighten them to really see if they spin without binding.