Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Go Kart Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 07:45 PM

Default Suspension ideas?

Hello again,
As I mentioned in an earlier post, I am building a two seater go kart for me and my daughter. I am a total newbie, but this site has provided tons of help.
As with many projects that I have attempted in the past, the plans start out as something simple, then I get wrapped up in it all and want all the bells and whistles. Finally, I get in over my head and scrap my plans altogether. I am determined to see this through, so thanks in advance for any and all help.
I am thinking about suspension. I don't have to have it, but I know it would be nicer. Off the top of my head, I am thinking of Tman's two seater kart with the springs inside the spindle brackets and the shocks for the rear end.
I am in Mexico, where go kart parts are either hard to find or very expensive, so purchasing products specifically for a go kart will be out of the question. With that being said, if I tried to use the shocks on the rear end, what type of shock would work? Possibly ATV shocks (if I could find some used ones)? Could anything else be used to create a springiness to the rear end?
Also, for the springs in the front spindle brackets, what type of springs are generally used? I realize they have to be relatively small yet stiff. Who would sell them? Stores for auto parts, tractor parts, etc?
And lastly, if I either couldn't find parts or realize that I am not clever enough to do the suspension for the rear end, would just putting springs in the spindle brackets be worth it? Or, would it be a waste of time without any rear suspension?
Thanks for reading,
Erik
Old 01-21-2014, 07:53 PM
Just kartin' around....

Thanked 1,385 Times in 1,097 Posts

The springs in the front add minimal suspension to be really usefull. You can use automotive valve springs. Go get a couple used ones from a mechanics shop.
For the rear, man,your in MEXICO..... Find a scrapped VW bug taxi. Any VW, lots of them have coil overs in the rear that would work . VWs are everywhere down there.....
Shocks from an ATV , a dirt bike.... ect.....
Closed Thread