Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Mini Bikes, Trikes, and Choppers

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 07:10 PM

Default Reverse trike 2 seater?

Hi guys!
New here but kinda snooped for the last couple years.
I have a 13hp honda, 390gx i think it is, and also I have a gx190. Both sitting in garage doing nothing. The 13 horse (i know it's not actual 13) needs a carb, which I have a cheapo generic replacement with adjustable mixture screw sitting in wrapper.
I fix our mixers and hydraulic scaffold etc. and every once in awhile boss gets fed up with stuff and just says toss it.
Anyways, I really want to up the game for my kids. They LOVE the power wheels. They are too young to be driving a 40 mph machine, for sure, but I would LOVE something that would fit me and a kid, and be able to scoot around pretty quick.
I used to have a motorcycle, but this past year I had a major stroke and I don't have the balance I used to. At least not confident enough for a motorcycle. I can ride a bicycle just fine.
So I figured a reverse trike should be pretty cool to build and drive around!
I think 13 hp should be plenty for me and the kids to drive around the subdivision in, and through the yard etc.
I dont' have a plan to follow on this one so it will be a bit tricky.
I think it's called a scorpion? would be a good place to start as far as a design but then make it a 2 seater.
I figure the front wheels will be pretty wide for safety and I was thinking of a gearbox (comet?) so I have reverse cuz this will be a decent sized rig.
I don't know how the clutches work for this setup, or where to start on getting the axle and wheels etc.
I can fab up a frame if I know what I am trying to build, but would rather do this once, not a dozen times.
I was thinking of buying the clutch (from?), gears(which ones and from where?) and wheels and axles and then I can design the suspension arm and frame. I would need a spring or shock as well!
Thanks guys, I know someone has tried the untried before. My wife just hates me doing projects and not finishing them so I need to have it all started and finished in a shorter (months not years) timeframe.
Old 09-17-2017, 06:09 PM
Disc brakes'r for cowards

Thanked 1,337 Times in 1,090 Posts

Now this idea is about two wheels in the front and one in the rear style of trike, right?

I've seen a few around the interwebz but never a design that I really liked...unless you count the Morgan 3 wheelers....

I think you should just add one more wheel to your plan and look for a suitable go kart frame. There's serious riding to be done! ...and I'm concerned about your health.

In any event. ... BUMP
Old 09-18-2017, 08:47 AM

Why not use the swing arm wheel n such from a shaft drive motorbike. It can use the suspension or be locked out with no movement.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:22 PM

Finding cheap motorbike parts seems to be a bit of a struggle. Was thinking of fabbing up a rear arm if I can't find it. Perhaps still go with a fat gokart wheel, or just skip it all for now and go with 4 wheels like was suggested. Would LOVE it to be like the polaris slingshot basically. Two seater with regular steering up front and rear single wheel.
http://www.slingshotforums.com/attac...69-jpg.137097/
Old 09-18-2017, 07:51 PM
Sick, Tired, and in Debt

Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,738 Posts

Well you can buy the plans for the scorpion and adapt them to make it a two seater. I assume you can weld.

This is the Spidercarts Scorpion. Is this the "Scorpion" you mentioned?
That with a little granddaddy mixed in might give you what you want. Or a side car. We've got a guy here that loves side cars.

Not really sure how a two seat reverse trike would handle with only one driver. Would the weight imbalance make it tough? Maybe bench seat?
Attached Thumbnails
scorpion.jpg   GrandDaddy_1.jpg  

Old 09-19-2017, 07:52 AM

The problem is weight distribution. If you look at most 3 wheeled roadsters like the Morgan, the T-Rex, etc, their front wheels are spaced as wide apart as a car and the driver and passenger are smushed together shoulder to shoulder to keep the weight to the center. If you took say a typical 2 seat go kart, where the driver and passenger are smushed togetger, but with a relatively skinny wheelbase, and they pretty much hang out the sides of the kart sometimes wider than the front wheels, and put a single wheel on the back, you wind up with stability problems.

They also need to have a very low CG.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob58o View Post
Well you can buy the plans for the scorpion and adapt them to make it a two seater. I assume you can weld.

This is the Spidercarts Scorpion. Is this the "Scorpion" you mentioned?
That with a little granddaddy mixed in might give you what you want. Or a side car. We've got a guy here that loves side cars.

Not really sure how a two seat reverse trike would handle with only one driver. Would the weight imbalance make it tough? Maybe bench seat?
I wouldn't mind the bench seat idea. I would want a seatbelt as my kids are the crazy type, LOL!
I weld lots.
The scorpion you show is the one that made me think of it, yes.
Balance balance... hmmmm thinking...

Hopefully linked that correctly...
I am seeing they put the motor up front! Perhaps balance is the reason they did that? Wouldn't the driver and passenger actually weigh more?
I agree that getting the motor down low will be key. The most off road I would probably do with this thing will be the curb at the street.
I also found that our Cadets (Bible+boy scouts) has a gokart they assembled last year so there is potential to do some learning+teaching here too!
I am going to see what I can come up with for a seat, draw up a mock up of how I will be making the front end to seat two, and add the swing arm for a rear, but will be thinking about this motor placement. Never seen a motor placed up front. Probably due to issues with transfering power past the passengers?
Attached Thumbnails
012915-2015-polaris-slingshot-naked.jpg  
Old 09-19-2017, 10:59 PM
Canned Monster

Those Polaris slingshots are great, atleast until they catch fire and burn to the ground in a molten puddle.

Denny
Closed Thread