View Single Post
Old 12-11-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
Which engine is that? This thread is kind of all over the place with different engines. [/IMG]
LOL, yeah I tend to wander a bit. The motor is a 6.5 clone that I got for $10.00, (2 for $20.00 actually).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
I know refurbing this engine or the whole set of them is your project/"baby" and I get that, but for the average Joe just cleaning everything, fixing what is truly broken and reassembling the engine would be more than adequate. After all, they were likely running well before put out to pasture... Something to keep in mind.
The engine had only 35 psi, so I really didn't do anything that was unnecessary. I fixed what was truly broken. I know that it's just a cheap small engine, but I learned something rebuilding it that will help me when I want to start doing performance mods.

As for putting things out to pasture, I feel that this is one of the problems with society in general. Nobody wants to fix things anymore, just toss it and go out and buy a new one, when with a little effort, you can have good as new at a lower cost. (Full disclosure - my earliest memories are of being told to put a screwdriver down! I've always had a desire to know how and why something works.).

I understand that anyone can buy something off the shelf. But I would encourage the"average Joe" new to go-karts or mini-bikes to rebuild an engine for themselves. As you said, it's not necessary, but still a good experience to have. Plus, it's a lot of fun!

I ordered most of my parts from China, so my total cost for this is, with the engine, is $28.00, not bad considering that a new Predator is $100 + tax.