Tire Install Tools

hardcorps

Reaction score
This may have been covered and there may better ways but this is what I came up with.
I like the scissor type tire tools but they are too expensive.
The smaller the tire, the harder it is to install.
I did this on 4 inch wheels but it should work on any size with slight mods (drilling a new hole in the bar)
Hopefully the pics are self-explanatory. I had to put the bolt in a vise, push the bar with my chest, and rotate the tire with both hands. It was mildly difficult.

5/8 bolt, nut, washers.
Aluminum bar stock
5/16 carriage bolt, nut, washers.
Vise grips.
Small piece of 5/8 rubber hose.

IMG_20240210_074952421.jpg
IMG_20240210_075226261_HDR.jpg

Rat

Reaction score
This may have been covered and there may better ways but this is what I came up with.
I like the scissor type tire tools but they are too expensive.
The smaller the tire, the harder it is to install.
I did this on 4 inch wheels but it should work on any size with slight mods (drilling a new hole in the bar)
Hopefully the pics are self-explanatory. I had to put the bolt in a vise, push the bar with my chest, and rotate the tire with both hands. It was mildly difficult.

5/8 bolt, nut, washers.
Aluminum bar stock
5/16 carriage bolt, nut, washers.
Vise grips.
Small piece of 5/8 rubber hose.
Clever but if you swapped the carriage bolt for some form of small caster or bearing you'd have less resistance on account of the rolling action instead of forced slide.

Any wheel smaller than 8" is a total b☆stard and should be a 2pc wheel regardless IMHO. Hell even doing 4ply tires on 10" rims by hand is a pain, but breaking the bead to get them off is the real nightmare

hardcorps

Reaction score
I thought about a roller bearing but getting the angle correct would involve more engineering and fabrication than the whole simple setup as is.
I thought about using some Nylon or Delrin or similar plastic but it would require a lot of shaping.
The slide isn't hard, especially with lube. Getting the little tire to stretch is the hard part.

Reactions: Rat