swing arm front suspension ideas?

jamobaum

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am trying for a simple rear swing arm yard kart buggy for woods trails. I haven't had much luck with bump steer on other A arm karts I've done. So I was thinking of a swing arm front suspension (similar to the rears that are used frequently on builds). Then I the only thing that would need to be "movable" that I can think of would be the steering shaft. So if one where to make a 'sliding' steering shaft I think it might work,

Anybody have ideas or projects that have been tried before like it?
Not looking for full independant suspension, just to keep the jarring from bump down. I don't like the "springer spindles". Tried them and I don't get much help with them.

ezcome-ezgo

G'me sumthin to write on
Reaction score
I've always thought a trailing arm type front suspension with limited travel (3"-4") would be an effective, simple solution. Using good heim joints on your steering linkage will deal with the wheel travel.

1701367478811.png

SquidBonez

Reaction score
As ezcome-ezgo suggested, your best bet would be to do something similar to a VW beetle front end - that is "swing arms" (or trailing arms) on each side. The old Honda FL250 had a system similar to this but even simpler. See below:
Screenshot_20230626-170206_Samsung_Internet.jpg
This system is often called a j-arm. This same system can also be seen on the Manco Deuce 2-seater. The best way to minimize bump-steer with this setup is by having the longest tie rods possible, and having these tie rods be roughly equal in length. In the case of the FL250, the tie rods are actually beneath the frame but you could go above as well. All steering systems have some amount of bump-steer and this setup is no different, but it has been used to great effect and is very simple. My custom buggy has a double a-arm setup and also has some bump steer. My next will more than likely have j-arms.

MTScott

Reaction score
If I understand correctly, you're planning on building a subframe in the front that is not independent, and then implement steering as if it is a no suspension go-kart!!??