Pulse pump question.

Whitetrashrocker

Inmate #952016
Reaction score
Pulse fuel pumps.

My Google fu failed me.
Better to mount pump high or low. Do these suck or blow better?

Nowhere have I seen anything about the fuel side of it. Even in the official paper work states pressure and flow are dependent on the pulse, but nothing about head pressures or lift.

What say you guys?

Rat

Reaction score
Pulse fuel pumps.

My Google fu failed me.
Better to mount pump high or low. Do these suck or blow better?
High or low is inconsequential, but most put a deck plate over the engine and have them mounted there.
Two reasons for this, shorter distance from point A to C means stronger signal between A&B, thus better pumping ability between points B&C.

by being on top of the engine relatively even with or above the valve cover, oil is less likely to get into them and make problems.
Nowhere have I seen anything about the fuel side of it. Even in the official paper work states pressure and flow are dependent on the pulse, but nothing about head pressures or lift.
Because those are all irrelevant factors.

What drives a pulse pump is exclusively the pressure drop in the case as the piston rockets towards TDC. This pressure drop pulls a diaphragm one direction (drawing fuel into it's chamber)
When the piston drops to BDC the diaphragm deflects to it's resting position assisted by an ultralight spring
(pushing the fuel back out the opposite port due to an internal check valve)

This is also why a check valve (or two) is an absolute requirement on the vent line... without the check valve, the pressure doesn't drop and the pump can't and wont pump anything. Without the vent line the engine don't run worth a crap or for long before it stalls

Rat

Reaction score
I just got an 8hp with a knockoff vm22 running and used a pulse pump. I was worried more about it overflowing then not pumping. It works awesome. View attachment 146567
Well you're using the OE carb as an intake manifold and getting your intake pulse fromnthe negative intake pressure instead of negative case pressure which IS al alternative method that doesn't require check valves on the PCV tube.

Most newer machines that have a pulse pump are set up how you have yours, Hammerhead LE-150 being one example I know for a fact is. Of course there's is also on a T so that the vacuum also works a regulator valve on the fuel tank instead if a petcock... pull the fuel line off and you don't get more than a couple residual drips even with a full tank of gas