Powered e-Bike Trailer/Camper

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
I had an idea to build a camper trailer to be pulled by e-bike. With the trailer having its own drive motor.

How would I do it?
Does it make sense to try it.

One controller, two motors?
One freewheel on the trailer, the other powered by e-bike wheel/motor?

I currently have a 750 W 48V bike.
Thinking about pulling something about this size.

I’d like to keep the bike legal when not towing, so 750 watts is the max on the bike. Hoping to cheat that max when towing.

IMG_6248.jpegIMG_6249.jpeg

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
Movie Trailers about Trailers

“Jack Knife” is a thrilling horror movie set on the desolate highways of America. The plot revolves around a series of mysterious disappearances linked to a legendary semi-truck trailer known as “Jack Knife.” According to local lore, this truck appears out of nowhere on foggy nights, its headlights piercing through the mist, and it’s said that anyone who sees “Jack Knife” will not live to see the dawn.

The story follows a group of truckers who become entangled in the myth when they encounter “Jack Knife” on a routine cross-country haul. Dismissing the stories as mere superstition, they soon find themselves in a fight for survival as the truck begins to hunt them down one by one. With no one to trust and nowhere to run, they must unravel the mystery of “Jack Knife” before they become its next victims.

As the tension mounts, the truckers discover that “Jack Knife” is not just a truck, but a malevolent entity that feeds on fear and chaos. It’s up to the courage and wits of the truckers to stop the unstoppable force of “Jack Knife” and escape its deadly grip.

The movie combines high-speed chases, suspenseful hide-and-seek sequences, and a chilling supernatural twist that will leave audiences gripping their seats. “Jack Knife” is a heart-pounding ride that explores the fear of the unknown and the terror that can lurk behind the wheel.

IMG_6270.jpeg

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
How do you stop Jack Knife?
Cable actuated hydraulic disc brake calipers?
It was time to replace my front pads, so so upgraded? Maybe? Wonder if these are any good?
IMG_6271.jpeg

Grizzlymi

Wolverine
Reaction score
Awesome idea! I've been wanting to do this for years but planned on pulling with a pedal bike. I went into a rabbit hole on these types of trailers a while ago. Might get back into it. :LOL:

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
Awesome idea! I've been wanting to do this for years but planned on pulling with a pedal bike. I went into a rabbit hole on these types of trailers a while ago. Might get back into it. :LOL:
These bike campers are big in Germany. OK, that might be an extrapolation…. I saw one YouTube video of a meetup of these bike camper enthusiasts and think someone ate a bratwurst. Lol

But in all honesty…. I can keep a tent in backpack and set it fairly quickly. I think the trailer for storage would be nice though.

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
IMG_6274.jpeg
I only watched until I saw he made the trailer with powered wheels, then I shared it.
Each trailer wheel… 1000W

Rat

Reaction score
Your best bet would be to run the trailer on it own independent circuit with dual hub drive, and use something along the lines of a 4 or 5 pin trailer harness to connect to the bike for its throttle input.
As for towing capacity just set your bike up with dual hub motors or a mid drive... although if you stuck to all hub drives of the same power rating and identical controlers it would be a lot easier to bridge the throttle signal so it can be received by both controller boxes. In this serial configuration the bike would be less burdened by the trailer, and the trailer would be less likely to run you down.

At that rate I would also strongly recommend setting the trailer up with disc brakes and operating them with a stout servo each effectively giving you electronic trailer brakes so you don't get overrun trying to stop this rig.

I've toyed with such ideas, but in the grand scheme it is neither cost effective nor all that interesting to me... truth be told it would be exceedingly expensive to do correctly.

EV's are nothing more than the next fad blight in disposable Bic lighter mobiles of such an inferior quality as to be polution just in the fact the exsist.

Rat

Reaction score
How do you stop Jack Knife?
Cable actuated hydraulic disc brake calipers?
It was time to replace my front pads, so so upgraded? Maybe? Wonder if these are any good?
View attachment 147761
50/50
The quality varies, and they don't play nicely with used rotors regardless of how mint they are. Running those almost requires upgrading to a 203mm front and a 180mm rear rotor due to their tendency to drag (default on any and every new disc brake equiped bicycle is 160mm)

Truth be told one is far better off going with a fully hydraulic set even if they have to replumb them with 3/16 automotive hard line to reach on a larger or custom frames (things like a Micargi Bronco 3.0, Micargi Seattle, etc)

Bikes were my first passion, which evolved to motorcycles, but I was always a garage kid so if it has an engine I'll figure it out (truthfully the only question is how many obscenities and dropped bolts, raked knuckles, and thrown tools later)

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
50/50
The quality varies, and they don't play nicely with used rotors regardless of how mint they are. Running those almost requires upgrading to a 203mm front and a 180mm rear rotor due to their tendency to drag (default on any and every new disc brake equiped bicycle is 160mm)

Truth be told one is far better off going with a fully hydraulic set even if they have to replumb them with 3/16 automotive hard line to reach on a larger or custom frames (things like a Micargi Bronco 3.0, Micargi Seattle, etc)

Bikes were my first passion, which evolved to motorcycles, but I was always a garage kid so if it has an engine I'll figure it out (truthfully the only question is how many obscenities and dropped bolts, raked knuckles, and thrown tools later)
I swapped out the calipers after a ride in the rain with the old ones. Granted, there were no pads left on the old ones, but the new seem to doing well so far. One YouTube video said they usually end up leaking fluid around the piston seal before a season of use was completed.

I wanted to try DoorDash delivery on an e-bike.
A full 20AH battery usually lasts me around 2 - 2.5 hours (less with this bright a$$ headlight on). But I do enjoy cruising around on the bike so why not make an extra 25 or 30 bucks per ride.

IMG_6278.jpeg

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
I wanted to add turn signals to improve my communication. “Hey! I’m about to cut you off on my bike!”

What I didn’t want was a bump alarm that I accidentally set in a dark hallway at 11pm while rolling my bike to its parking spot and didn’t know how to turn it off and couldn’t see the buttons. Panic and decibels as loud as car alarm inside my building of retirees at 11pm.

-Sorry Neighbors
BobIMG_6279.png