Newbie Needs Advice

Speedster

Reaction score
Hello all! I have a couple questions. I am a COMPLETE beginner. Also, I am on a super tight budget, so please keep that in mind when answering. The cheaper the better!

1. What is the best size of pipe for an adult sized go kart? One of the kinds with a real simple frame. And what schedule should I use? I will be using a harbor freight pipe bender.

2. What is a good all-around size for tires in the back, and in the front? They should be different sizes, right? I want to go up to around 50mph, and I live on a gravel road, so they can't be the slick kind.

3. Would a 10hp Briggs engine be too much? I would like it to be plenty strong, as we have some hills, I just don't want it to be too strong. (If there is such a thing!)

4. Where is the cheapest place to get parts? Amazon?

Thank you so much for your time in looking over this, and I look forward to your answers!

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
1”- 11/2” schedule 40 or 80. 10 hp will require a 40 series CVT. Only use Genuine Comet belts on your CVT!
Jungle Store (amazon), GoKart Supply, BMI, MFG Supply, OMB warehouse, AZUSA and a ton of other places to get parts. Check with us first before buying junk.

Rat

Reaction score
Hello all! I have a couple questions. I am a COMPLETE beginner. Also, I am on a super tight budget, so please keep that in mind when answering. The cheaper the better!
There is nothing cheap about this hobby, a ground up from nothing build can cost as little as 1500 ish to however much you fancy throwing at it. The largest expenses with be tires, wheels, and bulk materials in general
1. What is the best size of pipe for an adult sized go kart? One of the kinds with a real simple frame. And what schedule should I use? I will be using a harbor freight pipe bender.
With proper design and bracing, 1" box or round tube is plenty sufficient, sch 40 or heavy wall DOM ideally
2. What is a good all-around size for tires in the back, and in the front? They should be different sizes, right? I want to go up to around 50mph, and I live on a gravel road, so they can't be the slick kind.
Taller, wider, low psi knobby tires are better for gravel but the problem is the bigger the tire the taller the gearing needs to be to not burn up the belt on a TC or weld a centrifugal open to itself from slipping. 6:1 is considered the golden ratio, but you're not likely to get better than 35/40 with it behind a TC with something like a 18x6.50-10 lawn mower tire
3. Would a 10hp Briggs engine be too much? I would like it to be plenty strong, as we have some hills, I just don't want it to be too strong. (If there is such a thing!)
There's no such thing, especially on a ground up build where you can build to fit the engine instead of having to fit an engine to something already
4. Where is the cheapest place to get parts? Amazon?

Thank you so much for your time in looking over this, and I look forward to your answers!
Ebay
Amazon
And local brick and mortar hardware stores for misc bits, and brackets

Speedster

Reaction score
1”- 11/2” schedule 40 or 80. 10 hp will require a 40 series CVT. Only use Genuine Comet belts on your CVT!
Jungle Store (amazon), GoKart Supply, BMI, MFG Supply, OMB warehouse, AZUSA and a ton of other places to get parts. Check with us first before buying junk.
Thanks! I will definitely check with you guys before buying MORE junk.

Speedster

Reaction score
There is nothing cheap about this hobby, a ground up from nothing build can cost as little as 1500 ish to however much you fancy throwing at it. The largest expenses with be tires, wheels, and bulk materials in general

With proper design and bracing, 1" box or round tube is plenty sufficient, sch 40 or heavy wall DOM ideally

Taller, wider, low psi knobby tires are better for gravel but the problem is the bigger the tire the taller the gearing needs to be to not burn up the belt on a TC or weld a centrifugal open to itself from slipping. 6:1 is considered the golden ratio, but you're not likely to get better than 35/40 with it behind a TC with something like a 18x6.50-10 lawn mower tire

There's no such thing, especially on a ground up build where you can build to fit the engine instead of having to fit an engine to something already

Ebay
Amazon
And local brick and mortar hardware stores for misc bits, and brackets
Thank you for the response! I was thinking of using a chain drive with a centrifugal clutch, would that be alright?

Speedster

Reaction score
Here is along the lines of what I was thinking. With a couple tweaks... Just something real simple before I get into the complex builds.
1712756640130.png

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
It would, but it won’t hold up on gravel or other off road situations. Those are made for paved surfaces with the engine running wide open all the time. Like in racing situations. A 40 series CVT will serve you much better.

Speedster

Reaction score
It would, but it won’t hold up on gravel or other off road situations. Those are made for paved surfaces with the engine running wide open all the time. Like in racing situations. A 40 series CVT will serve you much better.
Thanks, I will definitely check into that.

Speedster

Reaction score
Ok, I just checked into the 40 series CVT, and I think I will go with that. This may be a dumb question, but could you still achieve high top speeds? Like 40-50mph, or maybe even 60? And if I used lawn mower tires (the ones I have in mind are 11x5.00-6) would burning the belt be a problem? With maybe just a little bit of hot rodding?

Whitetrashrocker

Inmate #952016
Reaction score
Your better off buying a frame some where. I see old karts that need a ton of work for about $100. Start there. That will save you both time and money.

I have 2 dingo frames I have modified. one has a budget build 301 and the other now has a 250 quad engine 4 speed.
The 301 has a 40 series TC and will do about 40mph and the other I got to about 45 and thought I was gonna eat sh!t and crash. Working on putting front suspension on it.
I'm out in the desert, dirt and rocks are where I thrive.
20210904_200445.jpg20240103_175259.jpg

Speedster

Reaction score
Your better off buying a frame some where. I see old karts that need a ton of work for about $100. Start there. That will save you both time and money.

I have 2 dingo frames I have modified. one has a budget build 301 and the other now has a 250 quad engine 4 speed.
The 301 has a 40 series TC and will do about 40mph and the other I got to about 45 and thought I was gonna eat sh!t and crash. Working on putting front suspension on it.
I'm out in the desert, dirt and rocks are where I thrive.
View attachment 147141View attachment 147142
Thanks! Might I ask what size tires you are running on the 301? And what do you think of the engine?

Whitetrashrocker

Inmate #952016
Reaction score
Running the 18" turf savers on both. A larger tire would make for a little more top speed but I prefer the tire spinning.
The 301 was what my cheap arse got when the factory briggs blew. Didn't know much then. I knew I had a 1" output shaft. Had to match that. Could have spent more for the 420.
Do I regret it? Nah. I like the big block torque. I shaved .040 off the head, got a slide bore mikuni for it. Made an exhaust pipe. Modified an adjustable coil bracket. Left the internals stock except for pulling the plastic gov gears and pulled the oil sensor. The stock valve springs will float long before the flywheel will explode.
It's a tire fryer.

• Haha
Reactions: Rat

Rat

Reaction score
The stock valve springs will float long before the flywheel will explode.
It's a tire fryer.
I've got a lot of torque and traction... instead of frying tires I get gone like a rabbit, or end up staring at the sky.
Of course it's 208cc haulin on two wheels not four, but torque is a dangerous mistress that likes to break things

Speedster

Reaction score
Running the 18" turf savers on both. A larger tire would make for a little more top speed but I prefer the tire spinning.
Sounds like we think alike. So even with that large of tires, it is still not geared too aggressively? I guess I was under the impression that tires that large were too big. If they work good, that would be great, because they are so common. That would make the build easier. Thanks!

Rat

Reaction score
Sounds like we think alike. So even with that large of tires, it is still not geared too aggressively? I guess I was under the impression that tires that large were too big. If they work good, that would be great, because they are so common. That would make the build easier. Thanks!
Large tires need large gearing. Depending on the amount of torque you're chosen engine is throwing there's wiggle room, but with a 22+ inch rolling diameter you can't really gear higher than 5:1 without eating belts.

Smaller diameter tires allow for smaller diameter (higher) final drive ratios. Higher ratios are for top speed where lower is for acceleration.