Manual brake issues HELP!!!

GeorgeG4

Reaction score
So I’m not gaining ground. 🙄 I’m so annoyed. Here is a pic. Better but still help while moving. 7622036F-F1FC-46E5-A4D3-27FF63BCF7B4.jpeg
tried to make it so I could take slack out of the cable. If I get slack out it’s to tight in the caliper. Rolls free, too much slack. I’ve tried every which way. Wtf.

redflash

Reaction score
I tried one of those systems on my arachnid.....never did work well, no matter what I did. Went hydraulic, works great....that's my suggestion.

Why do women always say..."what do you mean"? No matter what I say to a man, they NEVER say that !

Da redflash

GeorgeG4

Reaction score
I tried one of those systems on my arachnid.....never did work well, no matter what I did. Went hydraulic, works great....that's my suggestion.

Why do women always say..."what do you mean"? No matter what I say to a man, they NEVER say that !

Da redflash
Yeah, I just hate to put any more money into this. I’m so frustrated.

GeorgeG4

Reaction score
Would I get any better performance if I were to try to flip my caliper over so I could use a metal rod instead of the cable? I don’t want to hang down to low is all.

redflash

Reaction score
did that......didn't help. Just consider this thing a money pit.....it's not going to be perfect, until it's perfect. That's why no matter how much we hoped we knew, finally accumulated a vast storehouse of knowledge........because frugality will never make the damn go-kart perfect !
I've got about $1600 into my arachnid over 2 years and that;s about as inexpensive as you can go. Don't think in terms of "what can I seel this for and break even.......THAT will never happen. Just think of the fun, and tell your wife to go to the gym and enjoy herself !

GeorgeG4

Reaction score
did that......didn't help. Just consider this thing a money pit.....it's not going to be perfect, until it's perfect. That's why no matter how much we hoped we knew, finally accumulated a vast storehouse of knowledge........because frugality will never make the damn go-kart perfect !
I've got about $1600 into my arachnid over 2 years and that;s about as inexpensive as you can go. Don't think in terms of "what can I seel this for and break even.......THAT will never happen. Just think of the fun, and tell your wife to go to the gym and enjoy herself !
I hear you I’ve just got everything on it working very well all new parts, etc. I just want the damn brakes to work! Errr… I mean it’s not rocket science. I bought this whole kit for just the brakes alone, and I might as well not have any brakes. So as of right now I took the whole cable off the go cart. Until I figure out what to do.

redflash

Reaction score
Yeah I didn't even have a cable, I had a solid rod......all I can say, is that system just doesn't have much stopping power. The hydraulic works, but it's another $100.00 before all said and done. If you got that manual system from amazon,,,,just return it and get your money back.

Da redflash

GeorgeG4

Reaction score
Yeah I didn't even have a cable, I had a solid rod......all I can say, is that system just doesn't have much stopping power. The hydraulic works, but it's another $100.00 before all said and done. If you got that manual system from amazon,,,,just return it and get your money back.

Da redflash
I got it from go power sports. They won’t take it back.
I had a hole in the bottom of the case of the first caliper they sent me in the kit initially, so they sent me a new one. I just fixed it with a little piece of sheet metal and jb weld. Was just cosmetic. So I’ve got two calipers virtually new and a heavy duty brake cable from them as well. Maybe I can sell that stuff and go hydraulic.

where and what should I be looking for when it comes to a hydraulic setup.

panchothedog

Reaction score
George, it won't stop better if you flip it pointing down. But it sure will LOOK BETTER. A flat piece will work just as good as that piece of angle. The rod will work better than the cable, but not until you fix the flexing at the bends by welding across them.

GeorgeG4

Reaction score
George, it won't stop better if you flip it pointing down. But it sure will LOOK BETTER. A flat piece will work just as good as that piece of angle. The rod will work better than the cable, but not until you fix the flexing at the bends by welding across them.
Ok. Thank you
I’m going to try again with threaded rod. I can get it very cheap. I’ll stiffen it up.
Or would steel rod be better?

Last edited:

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Does the Caliper slide smoothly, in it's bracket?
&
Have you tried scuffing the rotor up a bit
...it looks awful smooth & shinny

Smooth & shinny = nothing to grip on

GeorgeG4

Reaction score
Does the Caliper slide smoothly, in it's bracket?
&
Have you tried scuffing the rotor up a bit
...it looks awful smooth & shinny

Smooth & shinny = nothing to grip on
Yes
And yeah it’s new and a it is quite shinny and smooth. I tried scuffing it up with a piece of sandpaper, but I didn’t try real hard.
what’s the best way to scuff it up? I feel like by hand and a piece of sandpaper. It’ll take forever.

Karttekk

Reaction score
Have you adjusted the pad next to the adjustment screw closer to the rotor? Turn the rotor as you tighten the adjuster until the rotor won't turn then back off the adjustment enough to let the rotor spin. Slight drag won't hurt the rotor, just don't let it bind.

Karttekk

Reaction score
Loosen the locknut that holds the adjustment pin then wind in the pin as described previously. Tighten the locknut. You'll never get excellent performance out of that setup but you should get enough to stop the kart. Don't expect more than the setup is designed to do which is average at best.

GeorgeG4

Reaction score
Have you adjusted the pad next to the adjustment screw closer to the rotor? Turn the rotor as you tighten the adjuster until the rotor won't turn then back off the adjustment enough to let the rotor spin. Slight drag won't hurt the rotor, just don't let it bind.
I have adjusted it every which way to Sunday. I will try scuffing up the rotor and try with a metal rod. If I can get it set up to avoid flexing because I am going to have to put some Bends in it.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Another thing also, I’m not a fan of rotors with holes in them. Yea they look cool but are totally unnecessary. All they do is cut down on available pad to rotor surface area making the brakes suck worse. Solid rotors are the way to go! Those holes are probably costing 20% of your braking ability.

Karttekk

Reaction score
Grab a section of all thread rod, a hacksaw, a drill and some jam nuts. Measure out how much rod you need, cut a section, drill some holes and fasten it somehow. You can't return the part, may as well get creative. Fabricating what you need is part of owning these things. Put a return spring on the pedal. You'll be fine.