Increase Compression Ratio/Eliminate Head Gasket

Status
Not open for further replies.

solomon

Reaction score
my mower shop is stupid, they told me "we haven't used lapping compound in years, we just cut the valve and seat" and i still needed to lap them to get my compression above 80

Fast Eddie

Reaction score
Hey Russ,

Will hot-tanking the blocks/heads after lapping screw up the work done? I don't know how "hot" the hot-tanking process is. Wouldn't want them to distort but I may as well lap them before I clean them.

solomon

Reaction score
Same thing one of my local mower shop told me, Except it was some rowdy french lady that worked at the counter that told me that, Apparently they just use sand paper? Like wtf?

Haha, i went to the shop today and talked to them about the valves again and they said "No solomon, you don't need compound, the cut makes a perfect seal" And i just gave up, they won't believe you need to lap them for the best seal.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
Haha, i went to the shop today and talked to them about the valves again and they said "No solomon, you don't need compound, the cut makes a perfect seal" And i just gave up, they won't believe you need to lap them for the best seal.

They sound retarded...

WAIT, is your name actually solomon? i've never heard that as a person name before, cool.

devino246

Official DIYGK Chem Nerd
Reaction score

Id like to see the outcome of a compression test on an engine they've worked on:horse:

solomon

Reaction score
They sound retarded...

WAIT, is your name actually solomon? i've never heard that as a person name before, cool.

Yup its my actual name its different, thats for sure.

And I did have an 8hp engine they did a valve job on. It had 80 PSI and when i lapped the valves it went up to 120 PSI. Thats when i found out that lapping valves is one of the best things to do. I eliminate the decompression stroke or whatever its called on my valves by grinding the exhaust valve down a bit too. Makes starting the engine more fun:wai:

devino246

Official DIYGK Chem Nerd
Reaction score
Wait, you mean the exhaust stroke? Whats the advantage of that? On a similar note, that little thingy on the back of the cam gear, is that the compression release?

solomon

Reaction score
IDK all i know is when pulling most engines over the exhaust valve stays open a little to make starting easier. The only advantage i know of is more Fun starting it. Makes your motor Look MEAN. Because you really feel all the compression.

gcarter95

Reaction score

No disrespect to anybody, some folks just like working on small engines, but others do it because they either can't learn what they need to know to work on something other than a lawnmower or just don't care.

devino246

Official DIYGK Chem Nerd
Reaction score
No disrespect to anybody, some folks just like working on small engines, but others do it because they either can't learn what they need to know to work on something other than a lawnmower or just don't care.

I understand what your saying 100%, but they're doing something incorrectly to someone elses property!

gcarter95

Reaction score
Yes, but here's the difference....

Most of the people on here do this stuff because it is fun, something they enjoy. So they like to improve their skills and knowledge and reap the benefits.

Many people who work as professional mechanics, small engine or large, started in the field for the same reason.

But like every profession, there are those who only view what they do as a J.O.B. and only care about the paycheck. They sure don't care about how WELL they do the job, even less about the customer.

Sad fact of life.

Fast Eddie

Reaction score
Yes, but here's the difference....

Most of the people on here do this stuff because it is fun, something they enjoy. So they like to improve their skills and knowledge and reap the benefits.

Many people who work as professional mechanics, small engine or large, started in the field for the same reason.

But like every profession, there are those who only view what they do as a J.O.B. and only care about the paycheck. They sure don't care about how WELL they do the job, even less about the customer.

Sad fact of life.

You hit the nail on the head. You can apply that theory to almost any service-related field.

Finer than frog hair.:D

Schweet!

Status
Not open for further replies.