I need help!

captianhoho

Reaction score
My cart keeps shredding belts the torque converter is just a hair off any advice on how to fix this and is it supposed to rest in between these notches20240327_173956.jpg20240327_173956.jpg

panchothedog

Reaction score
No, it is not supposed to be between the two plastic stops. The point of the cam needs to be on the counter clockwise side. The left side. Look up some videos about servicing the driven clutch on a 30 series torque converter. You are going to have to disassemble it to correct your problem. Also, the sheaves of both the driver and the driven on the side closest to the engine need to be aligned very close. Almost perfectly. Fix those two things and your belts will ware normally. Also, buy quality belts. The ones made by Comet are the best, and are worth the extra money. But nothing will survive the way your driven clutch is right now.

captianhoho

Reaction score
No, it is not supposed to be between the two plastic stops. The point of the cam needs to be on the counter clockwise side. The left side. Look up some videos about servicing the driven clutch on a 30 series torque converter. You are going to have to disassemble it to correct your problem. Also, the sheaves of both the driver and the driven on the side closest to the engine need to be aligned very close. Almost perfectly. Fix those two things and your belts will ware normally. Also, buy quality belts. The ones made by Comet are the best, and are worth the extra money. But nothing will survive the way your driven clutch is right now.
Nice I thanks I will probably just buy a new torque converter I appreciate it

Rat

Reaction score
Odds are you don't NEED a new one as much as you need to learn how to properly care for what you have already.

What I mean is if you can't fix the one you already have, you're going to be in the same clueless position later when the next one starts acting up.

Yes WHEN NOT IF, and meant exactly that; belts wear, some of the moving parts have to be separated,cleaned, reassembled, and relubricated PROPERLY and regularly or they WILL act a fool and ultimately fail, others just need to be separated and cleaned, no lubrication.

💥 BUT WAIT!! THERES MORE!!💥
If you use the wrong lubricant, you cause more problems than you solve.

I will admit I have commited a Cardinal sin against all advice and instructions for TC driver lubrication... Instead of using graphite, my old unit is running that no fling, sticky as tree sap, lithium brake grease. Works extremely well NGL, haven't seen any indication of wear either. When it engages, there's not much slip... it just goes like hell.

You need snap ring pliers to reset that driven
(yes it can be done the hard way without them, but it's a lot faster and easier to use the correct tool) and clean the buttons while it's apart. I don't see any indication of actual wear on them and I don't see any missing... this is one of the extremely rare cases where I completely disagree with @Denny 100%.

If you can make worn out hardware work for long enough, you'll learn what to watch out for when new stuff ain't so new or shiny anymore in the process.

Last edited: