How to transfer power sideways 3 inches

Reaction score
I am mounting a chinese 110cc 3 speed single to a gokart chassis, and the stator cover interferes with the seat meaning the output sprocket of the engine is not able to be aligned with the normal key for the drive sprocket on the rear live axle. Ideas for solutions? I already thought about simply welding a sprocket in the right place to the axle, or welding tabs and drilling them to center the sprocket.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
You could just use a jackshaft, have a new key way cut into the axle and move the sprocket over. Or just cut a hole in the seat to be able to move the engine over enough. Your choice. Their all viable suggestions.

Reaction score
What about welding a plate to the axle (its a solid axle I'm not worried about melting it) and drilling mounting holes into that to mount the sprocket? Is that a dumb idea because it could unbalance the axle?

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Howdy & :welcome2:

We could probably give ya more specific suggestions
...if ya could possibly post some pics of the kart & seat & engine & mounting area &... :thumbsup:

Reaction score
sure, my camera is broken so these are ss within cam app
I plan to run a four bar linkage forward to preserve the shift function.

Attachments

• IMG_8650.PNG
    IMG_8650.PNG
    2.7 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8651.PNG
    IMG_8651.PNG
    2 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8652.PNG
    IMG_8652.PNG
    2.1 MB · Views: 11

Functional Artist

Reaction score
1.) that isn't your average fun/yard kart ;)
2.) how about some pics of the motor mount
...& mount(ing) area
3.) isn't the current sprocket/holder adjustable (L to R)?

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Not too bad of pictures for being taken with a rock. But it brings up many other questions. I have never seen a ct70 clone engine with the pto shaft coming from the wrong side of the engine like that. Infact that whole engine is flipped. Is that an old circle track kart?
If it was me doing that kart I’d just get the axle re keyed and slide the sprocket over.

Rat

Reaction score
sure, my camera is broken so these are ss within cam app
I plan to run a four bar linkage forward to preserve the shift function.
You don't need a 4 bar linkage. Being that close to the seat you only need to rotate the foot shifter, cut the end off, weld on a nut to accept a shift knob. Clutch can be ran either of a pedal, or by sleeving the shift lever with a section of bicycle handlebar and just stick a clutch lever on it. Theres many ways to do it, some safer than others.

Reaction score
Not too bad of pictures for being taken with a rock. But it brings up many other questions. I have never seen a ct70 clone engine with the pto shaft coming from the wrong side of the engine like that. Infact that whole engine is flipped. Is that an old circle track kart?
If it was me doing that kart I’d just get the axle re keyed and slide the sprocket over.
Where would I get the Axle re-keyed?

Rat

Reaction score
Where would I get the Axle re-keyed?
I've seen guys run keyways by putting a Tungsten carbide cutting bit in a router and wedging whatever their keying between 2x4' one of which they add a fence to... half a dozen slow careful passes later it's as good as factory cut

Rat

Reaction score
I have hacked in a key way or 2 with carefully scribed lines and a dremmel then finished with a file to fit.
I've also seen it done with vicegrips and a drill press with a depth stop collar on the bit, then cleaned up with a cutting wheel