Grand Daddyish build

TNThomas

Reaction score
So, when’s the first ride?
Man, I was trying to get it in last week, but I decided to take my kids camping, and spend time with the wife, so things got pushed out. The weather is supposed to be clear on Thursday and Friday this week, so that is my current target date. There is a few hundred-yard-long gravel lot close to my house that will probably be the first test run.

TNThomas

Reaction score
OK, today is the day. Cold, no rain, and sun, i'll give it a shot later today. I need to pick up a fuse, adjust the camber and caster, and double-check a few bolts for torque up front. Any tips for camber/caster? I think its about 8 degrees toed in, and Camber I am shooting for neutral.

TNThomas

Reaction score
Had fun! I have a good video, but it will take me a bit to figure out how to upload it.

Attachments

• IMG_8821.jpeg
    IMG_8821.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:

TNThomas

Reaction score
How did the young one like it?
He loved it. I started building it when he was 3 months old, so it has been a staple in his early life. He often calls it a monster truck!

Overall I am very pleased. Definitely a good call with the 670cc V-twin, lots of power. The thing drives pretty good overall. The CVT does make it feel like a snowmobile. Top speed is probably in the 40s, maybe 50s. But lots of torque! And definitely a good call with the second hydraulic hand brake. The MCP Master cylinder (my pedal brake), is probably good on a normal size Kart, but it woud not be enough for the whole thing. The hand brake is just easier to apply more force with (Longer lever). The little hydraulic parking break is nice too.

Last edited:

TNThomas

Reaction score
No new updates on the buggy. However I did pick up a mini Lathe/mill/drill to start learning machine work. Also,I thought you folks would appreciate this pic of a home built chainsaw ran with a buddy at a logging show a few years ago. I think it was a Buic 305ci. We cut thtough that log in about 1.2 seconds!
20240316_203610.jpg
20240319_173902.jpg

Attachments

• 20240319_173902.jpg
    20240319_173902.jpg
    310.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

TNThomas

Reaction score
Not a 305! Even better it looks like a 64-65 aluminum nail head Buick or Oldsmobile engine!!! Way cool! How’s the kart running?
Yea, you are probably right on the model there. Just a crazy machine to run. Basically impossible to bog the chain down. The Kart is running good! Realistically I won't be getting in a ton of driving till summer time. My test run worked out great the other day though. Currently, I am going to be moving fairly fast (for me), and getting a last few things welded on. A few gussets here and there and a few "zip tie tabs." I am also totally disassembling the thing so I can paint it. I have the next week off of work, so the goal is to try and be done with the paint by then. Driving wise its great though. All I really have left to add instead of paint is a few lights and switches.