DNF - 2018 - The Skid Mark (spiderkarts grand daddy varient)

Status
Not open for further replies.

banshee89

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to posting on this forum but have been a lurker for several years. Life is busy and although I have always wanted to build a kart...… time is the biggest obstacle.

The kids and myself aren't getting any younger son I said "screw it" to father time an decided to build a kart. I am not new to welding or fabricating but don't have any experience with karts.

So first... the entry picture:

grand daddy kart build by d s, on Flickr

That is how far I have made it so far after only a couple of weekends working a few hours here and there.

One thing people always seem to have questions about is...cost. I am going to try and document and photo my build as much as possible for others..... even though it really slows things down.

Here was the very first money spent.... the steel:

P1050506 by d s, on Flickr

$265 for 72' of 1 1/4"x 1/8" square tubing and 72' of 1"x1" 14 gauge tubing. The plans from spider kart called for 14 gauge 1 1/4 tubing, but 1/8" was as light as they had so my kart will be a little bit heavier.

I have purchased the seats, brackets, clutch, reverse gear box, and a light... all from ebay. I jumped the gun on a lot of this stuff because Ebay recently had some good coupons.

I plan on using a 9 to 10hp engine with electric start, that's what the comet 30 clutch and reverse gear box are rated for.... so that's as big as I'm going on this build. I would love use a bigger engine but this kart is going to be for my kids and 10hp should be plenty for them. (maybe another build... next year for a kart for myself....:rolleyes:)

Some more pictures:

I'm trying to keep my kids involved... and that kind of slows things down but this build is for there experience as much as mine.

Not sure if I'm going to get this done this year as I only work on it as time permits. My biggest thing is to have fun doing it.... and spending time with the kids.

banshee89

Reaction score
I just haven't had the time to work on it in the past few days.... this is a busy time of year for me and even though its coming along well, I would be surprised if I got it all done by the end of the year.

I am using my craftsman MIG to weld it. I have it on DC and am using flux core and not using solid with a shielding gas. I do have the welder set up for gas operation...… but I find the flux core gets better penetration if done right. I almost never use solid wire anymore.

Its about 10 to 15 years old. What brand is it... who knows. I do know it was made in Italy. Its worked really well for me but there have been big changes in Sears tools over the past 5 or so years.... and I doubt they still sell it.

P1050494 by d s, on Flickr

P1050493 by d s, on Flickr

Just have to run the weld over with a flap disk and they look just as good as solid wire.

What I use for a grinder:

P1050499 by d s, on Flickr

I am pretty happy with my harbor freight industrial chop saw. I have had it for about 8 years... and to my surprise.... it still works..

P1050498 by d s, on Flickr

Status
Not open for further replies.