Chasing electronic gremlins. Maxxam 150 2r

sixstringhook

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Looking for some fresh eyes on an issue. I got a Maxxam 150 2r for free. I was told that it ran, but wouldnt move. I assume something is up with the belt or the rollers in the clutch. Before I dive into that, I want to make sure it will start. While picking it up, the previous owner hooked up a jump pack. They went to start it and I saw they had it hooked up backwards. I quick disconnected it, but not before they had turned the key to try and start it. Told them not to worry about trying to start it. Load it up to take home.

Once I got it back to my house. The following steps were done while pressing the brake pedal. i dont know if it has a brake safety switch, so just in case.

1. Jump pack hooked up (correctly). Turn key from off to On. Headlights come on. Turn key to On/Start. Quick click sound, but no crank.
2. Notice the ground wire to battery is hanging on by 2-3 strands. Cut, strip, and put new end on. Also check/verify the inline fuse on engine is ok. Fuse is fine.
3. Key to On, Lights work. Turn lights off. Turn key to On/Start. Click. no crank
4. These electronics are crappy anyway. Ordered kit on Amazon.
5. Get kit. Swap CDI (listed as AC. Unknown if stock one is DC. Key to On. Lights work. Turn lights off. Foot on brake. Key to On/Start. Nothing. Not even a click. Jump pack is not hooked up.
6. Swap Ignition coil. Key on, Lights work, Lights off, foot on brake, key to on/start. Nothing. No click or sound at all. Jump Pack is not hooked up.
7. Swap Solenoid. Lights come on, lights off, foot on brake, key to On/Start. Nothing. No click or sound at all. Jump pack is not hooked up.
8. Jump Solenoid. Sparks. Almost acts like it want's to crank, but not 100% sure.
9. Voltage regulator in kit doesnt fit. Wrong pin/coupler size.
10. Spray WD40 down in keyswitch. Turn key several times to ON to work it in. No change. Still no clicks or cranks.

Thoughts.
1. hook jump pack back up and see what it does now with all aforementioned fixes/repairs/swaps.
2. Bad key switch? Possible the last position of the 3 way switch is bad.
3. Just swap the battery.

Last edited:

Rat

Reaction score
8. Jump Solenoid. Sparks. Almost acts like it want's to crank, but not 100% sure.
Could just as easily be a bad/stuck starter motor that needs replaced, or just the whole bending cleaned.
Clearly power is getting to the solenoid...but the battery might be too far gone/old to hold cranking amps.

Hooking jumpers backwards generally does more damage to the battery than anything connected after... funny thing though; If a battery has been discharged low enough it is actually possible to reverse its polarity when recharging.

I say dismount the battery and starter, have autozone (or what ever parts store) core test the battery and replace if needed.

Clean the starter bendix by hosing off any and all grime (Brake-Kleen non chlorinated) then proceed from there, should be able to have that load tested as well.