459 predator and golf cart parts

StevenMike

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm working on building a kart with a predator 459 with a Noram 21100 wet clutch 2:1 reduction driving a comet 790 cvt out to a golf cart axle with 6:1 gears giving an overall drive ratio of 6.48:1 with an 18 inch golf cart tire I'll be doing around 45mph at 5500 rpm

I'm mildly concerned with the wet clutch not holding up as Noram rates them for 16hp and the 459 comes in just shy of 16 horse. Anyone have experience with this style of wet clutch?

Any info is appreciated, thanks.

BrownStainRacing

Reaction score
No experience with the Noram wet clutch. But why are you going to use a clutch and a CVT?
Wet clutches and CVT combos have been around a few years now.

They work great, and very reliable, for big power engines pulling big weights.

The yamaha 660cc grizzly and rhino is a perfect example.

Theres so much low end torque there, it would destroy a CVT only set up.
The wet centrifugal clutch keeps that big low rpm torque calmed down before the CVT starts to operate. And there's no loss of speed,......it's got more then most are willing to push it.....including me.

Rat

Reaction score
I still don’t understand the purpose.
From what I can tell the wet clutch slips instead of smoking out belts when traction overtakes torque or inclines reach excess angles.

I may have missed something as well, but mechanically it makes sense to me that in certain situations it would be and asset to be able to manually disengage the engine from the CVT.

Personally I'd much prefer a 4 or 5 speed full manual transmission over a CVT. Enough to look into finding a bottom end/part bike of some kind.

I do know that even my 06 Mule has a wet clutch in the rear transaxle, probably the front too but those are both after the CVT not before

Last edited:

Rat

Reaction score
I'm mildly concerned with the wet clutch not holding up as Noram rates them for 16hp and the 459 comes in just shy of 16 horse. Anyone have experience with this style of wet clutch?

Any info is appreciated, thanks.
9/10 are a few ponies under rated for what they can handle to prevent maniacs like me from getting too carried away.

A prime example would be how the standard 30 series is rated "up to 8hp" but have been repeatedly proven to handle 12hp just fine cast aluminum backplate and all.

A clutch that says 16hp, and you're coming in at 15.5-15.75 which is nothing for a clutch that can most probably have 20 thrown at it without issue or a shortened life