40 series TC jackshaft bearings

Booze_Rooster

Reaction score
Hey guys, my search efforts turned up nothing helpful.

I am sprucing up my used and abused Predator 420. I got it from a buddy who bought it from a guy- so parts are modified, chopped off, missing etc. Which leaves me with little to go on.

I had an ebay special 40 series torque converter on it with a dinky aluminum backing plate.

I opted to swap a steel one on from OMB Warehouse (Part no. 1638877)

Only after it arrived and I went to swap the jackshaft over from the aluminum to the steel did I realize the aluminum plate's jackshaft bearings are far larger.

Reading the OMB info, the steel plate takes "standard" 1 3/8" OD bearings. When I measure my jackshaft and driven unit I get a shaft OD of 3/4". However the area where the bearing rides on the shaft is about 55/64" (practically 7/8"). The bearing pocket on each end of the tube is about 1/2" deep.

I cant find any "common" bearings with any specific measurements listed on Go Power Sports to confirm the fit. A lot of the bearings on GPS for a "3/4" jackshaft list the bearing ID as 3/4"

So basically what I need to know here is- what the hell am I looking for? Am I trying to wrestle a proprietary shaft into the wrong application? Are all 3/4" 40 series jackshafts stepped up at the bearing? Or are they 3/4" across the shaft? Even better- who can direct me to the bearings I need? Been in and out of the garage with my "backup" dial calipers (good ones are at work...) trying to search every website for these dimensions.

Rat

Reaction score
steel plate takes "standard" 1 3/8" OD bearings
However the area where the bearing rides on the shaft is about 55/64" (practically 7/8"). The bearing pocket on each end of the tube is about 1/2" deep.
The question answered itself...

You are looking for a 1⅜ × 55/64 × 1/2 (OD×ID×W) bearing

Or more likely a 1⅜" × 22mm × 1/2"

Booze_Rooster

Reaction score
The question answered itself...

You are looking for a 1⅜ × 55/64 × 1/2 (OD×ID×W) bearing

Or more likely a 1⅜" × 22mm × 1/2"

Yep, and I've been plugging those numbers into every bearing lookup site I can. No results or always one dimension slightly off.

What I'm really getting at here is- if this is an available "builder part", then shouldn't the associated bearings be readily available? Kind of disappointed that they went into detail on part numbers for belt part numbers, but no mention of jackshaft diameters or required bearings.

Rat

Reaction score
Have you looked at the bearing for a number? Might have to clean it off real good first.
As far as I understand that's part of the problem, the backplate or whatever didn't come with any.

Master Hack

Reaction score
Wading into this late...
i belive something is amiss either in the part, the measuring ot sumpthin else.
there is no such thing as 55/64 bearing anything.
5/8 & 3/4 would be common sizes. 22 mm is also common as is 1 3/8, but not in the same bearing. Also 1 3/8 and 35mm are very close. 1.375 and 1.377.
l have a 40 and just took bearrings off the shelf and they fit. Sadly l don't remember what they are.
most bearings will be metric dimensions, however there are inch bearings, and metric bearings with inch bore. Bearing numbers would make it easy, accurate measuring, would be next.

Rat

Reaction score
Wading into this late...
i belive something is amiss either in the part, the measuring ot sumpthin else.
there is no such thing as 55/64 bearing anything.
5/8 & 3/4 would be common sizes. 22 mm is also common as is 1 3/8, but not in the same bearing. Also 1 3/8 and 35mm are very close. 1.375 and 1.377.
l have a 40 and just took bearrings off the shelf and they fit. Sadly l don't remember what they are.
most bearings will be metric dimensions, however there are inch bearings, and metric bearings with inch bore. Bearing numbers would make it easy, accurate measuring, would be next.
The issue is much the same for a 30series clone. The 5/8 shaft is not actually 5/8 AND it's stepped up larger at the bearings

Booze_Rooster

Reaction score
Finally heard back from OMB.

Turns out I was chasing the wrong thing.

The shaft I have has threaded ends and steps up at the bearing.

I wasn't even thinking about a live jackshaft with a full keyway. Found one of their 3/4 kits of the correct length- comes with bearings. Whad'ya know.