110cc Single Tao Motor with 3 speed trans. What axle-sprocket tooth count should I run?

Reaction score
More of an opinion post, I want to hear what number of teeth yall have on your karts. Engine was originally from an ATV, with the 3 speeds being 0.65:1, 0.85:1,and 1:1 as best I can tell. PTO shaft sprocket is a 16 tooth, what number of teeth should I run on the rear axle? It is the same live axle arcade racing kart as before.

panchothedog

Reaction score
Tire diameter will have a lot to do with it. If the tire size on whatever you are putting this into is the same, or close to the ATV it came off of, then you should use the same size axle sprocket the ATV had. If tires are a lot smaller, then you can use a smaller axle sprocket. Figure out the circumference of the two different sizes and calculate accordingly.

Reaction score
Tire diameter will have a lot to do with it. If the tire size on whatever you are putting this into is the same, or close to the ATV it came off of, then you should use the same size axle sprocket the ATV had. If tires are a lot smaller, then you can use a smaller axle sprocket. Figure out the circumference of the two different sizes and calculate accordingly.
Original were 18" tires, now they are 6" OD slicks, so I think I'll go with a 30 tooth. Any ideas on where best to get it? I mainly use Mcmaster-Carr for hardware.

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
with the 3 speeds being 0.65:1, 0.85:1,and 1:1 as best I can tell. PTO shaft sprocket is a 16 tooth, what number of teeth should I run on the rear axle?
Best you can tell might not be good enough.
I assumed these engines might be geared liked something below.

Primary? 3:1?
1st 3:1 ( 9:1 total)
2nd 2:1 ( 6:1 total)
3rd 1:1 ( 3:1 total)

if you are inverted, 0.65 is about 1.54 :1
0.85 is 1.18 :1

I have no clue what your primary reduction is and those gear ratios seem suspect to me. If you can find out what the true sprocket counts are in the gear box I could provide better suggestions.

going from 18” diameter tires to 6” diameter tires reduces circumference to 0.333 of the original size. To keep ratio consistent, you would need to decrease the rear sprocket tooth count (from the original vehicle) to have 1/3 of the teeth. For example: 16: 48 with 18” tires is the same as 16: 16 with 6” tires.

Depending on weight and desired speed and or need for torks, you probably want to adjust.

Little slick tires and too large of a sprocket might have you doing burnouts and or wheelies.

Last edited:

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
With 6” tires, the axle needs to turn 1680 RPM to go 30 MPH. If you want 30 mph in 3rd gear at 6000 rpm, then you want overall reduction in the range of 3.5 :1 in third gear. If primary is 3:1 and 3rd is 1:1, with 16T on output shaft something like 19T on the axle would give 30mph at 6k

Somebody correct me if this seems off.

If everything else stays the same in the previous estimate but we swap to a 30T instead of 19T we’d be doing about 14mph at 6k rpm in 3rd gear.

Last edited:

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
BTW, what are these 6” diameter slick tires and what wheels are they on? 6” tires or 6” wheels?

panchothedog

Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I think most all go kart tires ( not wheels ) are a lot taller than 6". That's almost toy sized.

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I think most all go kart tires ( not wheels ) are a lot taller than 6". That's almost toy sized.
I was wondering if this was the project where they insisted that hand truck wheels were good enough, but the “slicks” made me think they were indeed gokart tires. Maybe the wheels are 6”? I think 6” wheels are normal for karts. Maybe 10-12” tires are “normal”? Even a 4” rim and tire with 2” sidewall would be 8” tire diameter.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I was wondering if this was the project where they insisted that hand truck wheels were good enough, but the “slicks” made me think they were indeed gokart tires. Maybe the wheels are 6”? I think 6” wheels are normal for karts. Maybe 10-12” tires are “normal”? Even a 4” rim and tire with 2” sidewall would be 8” tire diameter.
they are 6" Go kart racing slicks, 3 bolt pattern. I posted photos to the thread "How to transfer power sideways 3 inches?"

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
they are 6" Go kart racing slicks, 3 bolt pattern. I posted photos to the thread "How to transfer power sideways 3 inches?"
Oh ok, I’ll take a look. But as mentioned before, I only got the two. Lol

Just to be sure, did you measure the 6” height of the tire? Or does the tire say something like “x6” indicating “RIM” or “WHEEL” size. Even 4” rims with 4.10-3.5 x 4 tires are taller than 10”.
IMG_6142.jpeg

Last edited:

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
I guess I don’t believe the tires are 6” diameter. The tire looks as tall as it is wide and it is as wide as the engine.

In the words of Morpheus….
IMG_6145.jpegIMG_6144.jpegIMG_6143.jpegIMG_6146.jpeg

Last edited:

panchothedog

Reaction score
So Jacka$$. Instead of sending us on some kind of search to another unrelated thread, why don't you just get out a tape measure or a yardstick and tell everyone thats trying to help answer your question, what is the diameter of your tires. How tall are the round rubber things your kart rolls on.

Reaction score
So Jacka$$. Instead of sending us on some kind of search to another unrelated thread, why don't you just get out a tape measure or a yardstick and tell everyone thats trying to help answer your question, what is the diameter of your tires. How tall are the round rubber things your kart rolls on.
Measured, wheel in total is 8 inches in diameter. I apologise, I don't know where I pulled 6 inches from (certainly wasn't out of my pants). I mounted the engine with a temporary gas tank (cup+tape) and used a 48 tooth pitbike sprocket and that seemed to work fine.

Next up: Can yall please advise me as to how do I find/make a cheap gas tank?

panchothedog

Reaction score
Sounds like a workable idea. Do you have the ability to drill and tap it for the appropriate fittings, as well as a port for filling and a vented cap to seal it.

Reaction score
You can steal my idea. I used an oxygen bottle. Welded on a neck and cap from a power steering box.

Post in thread 'A tale of two Dingo's' https://www.diygokarts.com/community/threads/a-tale-of-two-dingos.34201/post-433540
Two Questions:
1) Is the right angle turn in the bung important? Or can I just flow the fuel straight down?
2) How did you find the bearings for so cheap? I'm looking at replacing one of mine (it stuck, but works with heat and WD-40) but cheapest I could find was this: SKF - 1-3/16" ID x 2.4409" OD, 3,380 Lb Dynamic Capacity, Insert Bearing Insert Bearing | MSC Industrial Supply Co. (mscdirect.com)

Last edited: