Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Other Stuff > More Builds

Notices

Old 06-19-2020, 11:09 AM

Anyone have any experience mounting 12 inch tires by hand? I've mounted plenty of tires on 4, 6, and 8 inch rims using pry-bars, screw-drivers and soap but never tried it with 12 inch rims.

I just came from the local tire shop and he's wanting almost double what I can buy these tires for on the internet. He also has a big sign on the wall saying that tire mounting labor fees are double for any new tires bought elsewhere....So.......
Old 06-19-2020, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by still kikn View Post
Anyone have any experience mounting 12 inch tires by hand? I've mounted plenty of tires on 4, 6, and 8 inch rims using pry-bars, screw-drivers and soap but never tried it with 12 inch rims.

I just came from the local tire shop and he's wanting almost double what I can buy these tires for on the internet. He also has a big sign on the wall saying that tire mounting labor fees are double for any new tires bought elsewhere....So.......
Ive done them just fine, for others its impossible. Lots of pry bars, correct tongue angle required.

Well, you dont take your own burgers to mcdonalds, whad ya expect After working for a dealership, I understand the policy.
Old 06-19-2020, 11:56 AM

Thanks karl, I'll give it a try.
Quote:
Originally Posted by karl View Post

Well, you dont take your own burgers to mcdonalds, whad ya expect After working for a dealership, I understand the policy.
No, I get it, and if he wasn't asking twice as much as I could get them for on the internet I'd buy them from him. I don't begrudge the guy wanting to make a profit but twice the price is a little overboard in my opinion. so I'm gonna order them and see if I can mount them myself.
Old 06-20-2020, 08:26 PM

Real quick update, tires ordered, went with the ag tires on the rear and smooth ribs on the front. Crossed fingers that those 23 ags fit under the fenders. Steering wheel still not budging and used teh last of my PB Blaster so have to pick up another can. Fabricated a real simple rectangular plate that was missing on the tractor today and installed the new pump on the pressure washer. It's working right again so will clean the underside of the tractor tomorrow. But that's all I got done today. Picking up some lumber tomorrow Going to build a lean too on the front of my shop. Been wanting to put one on there for years and finally gonna get it done. Shop is like a freakn oven right now so the lean too will allow me to work outside and still have some shade and a little breeze when there is one. Can't handle the heat anymore. Probably won't get a whole lot done on the tractor for the next few days till I get that lean too up.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to still kikn For This Useful Post:
karl (06-20-2020), landuse (06-21-2020)
Old 06-27-2020, 06:23 PM

Been keeping busy with the tractor since finishing the lean too a couple days ago. The tires came in while I was in the midst of building the lean too but stopped long enough to mount one just to make sure they were gonna fit, they did and I think they look great on there. Mounted the other one yesterday and then took off the front wheels and spent about an hour apiece wire brushing them, then sanded primered and painted them white. This morning I mounted the new tires on them. All four tires were fairly easy to mount on the rims, even with my crude tools, basically big screw-drivers. Hardest part was breaking the bead on the old ones, but luckily I have a big vice that took care of that problem. ( : Lots to do before I put them on the tractor though,

Finally got the steering wheel off the tractor but itís still attached to the shaft and shows no sign itís ready to come off yet in spite of twice daily doses of PB Blaster. But now that itís off the tractor I think my chances of freeing it up are much improved. I can get a better swing with the hammer now plus Iíve turned the whole thing upside and letting the PBB work from the opposite side now.

I was able to remove it from the tractor when after I pulled the engine which allowed me a much better view of things. I scraped off the grunge around the base of the shaft and to my delight I found a set screw hiding there. I was able to get it out surprisingly easy and ten seconds later I lifted the steering wheel and shaft up and out.

I had been debating whether or not to even remove the engine but sure glad I did since it allowed me access to the steering shaft set screw. The engine came out easily but I can verify that cast iron blocks are very heavy.

Last thing I did today was pull several idler pulleys and various brackets and will take the wire brush and sandpaper to them tomorrow. Getting down to the nitty gritty now, only a few more things to pull off and all thatíll be left is the bare frame and transmission/rear end, which Iím not taking out. Now if I can just get that steering wheel off.

Iím going to talk to a sign painter next week and see if she can duplicate the decals/stickers and if so much how much sheíll charge for that. If I can get the decals made or reproduced Iím going to paint it the original colors, but if not then Iím gonna have some fun with the paint job.

Almost forgot, when I removed the front tires I saw that the front axle had some deep grooves worn into it, one on each side where they rub the frame in tight turns. I pulled it off the tractor and cleaned it all up and filled the grooves with weld.No laughing at my welds please, a bit of hand shake these days. Not sure why it wore like that, seems like there'd be a stop of some kind to prevent hitting the frame but if it took 43 three years to wear them it should be at least 43 more before it becomes a problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Sears 14-6-06-24-2020.jpg   Sears 14-6-06-26-2020 wheel prep.jpg  

Sears 14-6-06-25-2020 bead breaker.jpg   Sears 14-6 06-27-2020 (1).jpg  

Sears 14-6 06-27-2020 pullys and brackets.jpg   Sears 14-6 06-27-2020 Front end c.jpg  

Sears 14-6 06-27-2020 Front end a.jpg   Sears 14-6 06-27-2020 Front end.jpg  

Old 06-27-2020, 06:50 PM
Gettin' er done!

Those AG tires look great! It makes me happy to see you giving new life to that old tractor, keep up the good work!
Old 06-27-2020, 07:31 PM

Thanks! I think they give the tractor a whole new look, I really like them.
Old 06-28-2020, 08:28 PM

Well I got the brackets and pulleys primed and painted today but other than that didn't accomplish much. After getting the steering shaft off the tractor yesterday I thought it would be fairly easy to remove the steering wheel but after fighting it for half a day today it's still stuck tight.

I got very serious about removing it and tried everything I could think of but no luck at all. I went so far as to drill two holes on each side of the hub right alongside the shaft thinking it might at least relieve some of the pressure but that's not working either. Broke two drill bits in the process....

I can get a pretty healthy swing with the hammer now that it's off the tractor but it's being super stubborn. I soaked the whole thing down with PBB again before shutting up the shop tonight, sprayed it into the two holes I drilled too so maybe that will make a difference by tomorrow. I sure hope so, that things really starting to aggravate me.

I power washed the underside a couple days ago but crawled under it today to see how it looked and it needs done again. The wand on the washer is too long and I can't point it where it needs pointed so tomorrow I'm gonna try to lift the front end up and stick a couple braces under it to where it's standing almost straight up and down, that should let me reach those hard to reach areas that I missed before. I think I'll be able to lift it up beings the whole tractor is pretty much stripped down to nothing. No engine, no axle, no brackets, pulleys, cover plates, nothing but the frame all the way back to the transaxle so it's gotta be at least a hundred pounds lighter than it was.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:16 PM

Real quick update, steering wheel still froze to the shaft. Twisted off a bolt inside the transmission housing. Rained all day today. But otherwise had a real fun day...
Old 06-30-2020, 10:20 PM

How exactly is the steering wheel attached to the shaft? Just thinking of ways it could be removed , in a way that does not break the wheel.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:39 AM

Nothing fancy. The hub slips down over the end of the shaft and rests on a shoulder. Shaft is keyed, hub was originally held in place by a 5/16 bolt which I twisted off long ago. i have drilled out the bolt and tried to remove it with an easy-out but it won't budge either, but it's not holding anything any longer. I've also drilled two holes through the hub, right next to the shaft. Been spraying twice daily with PBB for two weeks and I beat on it a few times every day. I can't use heat due to a rubber, or neoprene, covering over wheel and hub. The other end of shaft has a u joint welded to it. I may end up trying to grind off that weld but it looks like a very good/strong weld. Can't be any more difficult than what I've been doing though.
Old 07-01-2020, 11:25 AM

I got it off about an hour ago. Just continued with the beatings and it finally budged. Once it did, it came off with just a few more hits. What a relief to get that thing off. I drilled out the 5/16 center bolt that I had twisted off and retapped it for 3/8 so everythings ready to go back together when the time comes.

When I finish eating lunch I'm going back over and start working on the trans bolt that I twisted off a couple days ago. I think I probably removed about 75 bolts, maybe more, on this project so I guess twisting off two isn't too bad considering most of those bolts have been rusting in their respective holes for 43 years.... Anyway that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Old 07-01-2020, 12:58 PM
Gettin' er done!

Right on that's great! You've been fighting with it for what, a couple weeks now?
Old 07-01-2020, 03:21 PM

Something like that give or take a day or two, seemed more like a couple months though. ( : Just glad it's finally off and I didn't destroy the wheel.

I got the trans bolt out without much trouble at all. I was able to heat it up and that made all the difference. No neoprene to contend with. Had to fix a leaking hose on my torch before starting though, turned on the oxygen and I could hear it hissing away. Easy fix though and was back in business in a few minutes.

Haven't been able to set up a meet with the sign lady yet to see if she can make decals for it so hopefully I'll be able to get with her in the next day or two. I need to find out if she can do it so I know what color paint to buy. Sears tractor yellow if she can make the decals and probably black if she can't. I'm almost thinking to forget about an accurate restore since I'm not too crazy about the original colors anyway but I think if I sell it I can get more if it's original. But then again, I may keep it. I'm kind of getting attached to it. Love the way it's put together, everything heavy duty and solid, no frills, easy to work on, the simplicity of the whole design impresses me. Decisions decisions...
Old 07-01-2020, 09:48 PM

Few pics from the last couple days.
Attached Thumbnails
Sears 14-6-06-29-2020 frame prep.jpg   Sears 14-6-06-29-2020 frame primed.jpg  

Sears 14-6-06-29-2020 frame prep 3.jpg   Sears 14-6-07-01-2020 Steering wheel off.jpg  

The Following User Says Thank You to still kikn For This Useful Post:
landuse (Yesterday)