Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Mini Bikes, Trikes, and Choppers

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 01:17 PM
TROLL CRUSHER INC.

Default My latest CMB Chopper restoration Project!!

Here is my latest chopper resto mod project. I couldn't have landed a better chopper than this beast!! I will be replacing the rusted chrome dressed Tecumseh 6 hp in favor of a 212cc Preditor I believe. I am still on the hunt for the perfect engine.
Attached Thumbnails
NewHouseChopperMiniBike 025.jpg   NewHouseChopperMiniBike 058.jpg  

NewHouseChopperMiniBike 071.jpg   NewHouseChopperMiniBike 032.jpg  

NewHouseChopperMiniBike 028.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to KingCobra For This Useful Post:
bob58o (09-27-2017)
Old 09-27-2017, 01:26 PM

Thanked 1,948 Times in 1,618 Posts

That looks pretty cool... It'll rock good with the derp on there...

With all the relatively cheap hop up mods out there... Hope you got good brakes....
Old 09-27-2017, 01:27 PM
G'me sumthin to write on

Thanked 1,020 Times in 815 Posts

Kra-zay!
Old 09-27-2017, 01:42 PM
TROLL CRUSHER INC.

Default Update

Well, here is the newly updated chopper project. I had disassembled the front forks, wet sanded and polished them to remove as much of the defects as possible. I installed new handle bars and mirrors and I think I need to buy a new set of 'bullet' grips like the current ones only pointed on the ends. I have to order a new replacement head lamp because there was a crack in the old one. I am going to do this chopper up right. I am 6'4" and I fit perfectly on it. It was fast with the 6hp engine so I can't wait to see how it runs with a new tuned engine!! BTW, don't disassemble the forks if you don't have too because it's nothing but an alignment job getting them back together!!! It was worth it though. I also want to get about a 2 1/2' to 3' sissy bar. Have been looking for a mini king queen seat but come up empty handed and I don't want to have to make my own.
Attached Thumbnails
NewHouseChopperBuggyHelo 054.jpg   NewHouseChopperBuggyHelo 055.jpg  

NewHouseChopperBuggyHelo 059.jpg   NewHouseChopperBuggyHelo 053.jpg  

bob58o (09-27-2017)
Old 09-27-2017, 07:14 PM
The Independent Variable

Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,759 Posts

Did you decide on an engine yet?
How much do you want to spend? I think something like a 125cc 4-speed would be awesome if in your budget and if it will fit.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:26 PM
Disc brakes'r for cowards

Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,142 Posts

I kinda like the patina the bike already has. The motor might indeed need changing out, especially run without an air filter. I seem to see that a lot. Lunacy!

Air isn't clean.....even when idling in one's driveway.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:00 PM
The Independent Variable

http://www.ebay.com/itm/125CC-4-Stro...38.m2548.l4275

Have these always been this cheap???

---------- Post added at 09:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 PM ----------

Here are some more options.
https://tboltusa.com/store/engines-c-114.html
Old 09-28-2017, 10:01 AM
TROLL CRUSHER INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob58o View Post
Did you decide on an engine yet?
How much do you want to spend? I think something like a 125cc 4-speed would be awesome if in your budget and if it will fit.
I wish I could make a 125cc 4 speed work. I was thinking about the Preditor 212 cc because it does very well in my go kart. I use the chopper teardrop gas tank and I will be removing the Preditor tank. I believe I will also put a custom air cleaner on it. It will look so small which makes me want to find a nice Honda engine such as the 390 cc. I have a measurement of 18" height up front, 14" in the back and approx. 16" base. I guess I better start looking at engine measurements minus their gas tanks. A Gx390 would be nice. Preditors are Honda clones anyway. Any engine suggested that could fill the space comfortably? At this time I could spend upwards of $450 for a decent engine. I need to buy a new mig welder so I can think outside the box again LOL.......Thanks for asking.

---------- Post added at 12:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 AM ----------

Quote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/125CC-4-Stro...38.m2548.l4275

Have these always been this cheap???

---------- Post added at 09:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 PM ----------

Here are some more options.
https://tboltusa.com/store/engines-c-114.html
Wow!! Great information and great engines that won't break the bank. Lifan seems to be ok and I wonder if it actually has a clutch or if it's a 'manual. shift nearly like the automatic 4 speed. Either way it's a great idea. I like the Piranha 140cc Engine ! for just over $350. Hmmmm, maybe it's time to rethink this. I do actually have a battery box, etc. for starters, lights, etc. I just hope the electronics are not complicated like they are for the Kandi 150 cc karts. Again, thanks for that!! That looks more realistic than a go kart engine.
Old 09-28-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCobra View Post
Wow!! Great information and great engines that won't break the bank. Lifan seems to be ok and I wonder if it actually has a clutch or if it's a 'manual. shift nearly like the automatic 4 speed. Either way it's a great idea. I like the Piranha 140cc Engine ! for just over $350. Hmmmm, maybe it's time to rethink this. I do actually have a battery box, etc. for starters, lights, etc. I just hope the electronics are not complicated like they are for the Kandi 150 cc karts. Again, thanks for that!! That looks more realistic than a go kart engine.
The Lifan in the ebay link is a true manual clutch, not semi auto. They are pretty simple and the parts are cheap. The wiring is nothing crazy, especially if you get a kick start version.
Old 10-14-2017, 02:00 AM
TROLL CRUSHER INC.

Well for now I will be installing a new Preditor 212 cc!! At least I can just bolt and go. I will latter switch to a LIFAN 125 or 250 cc when I figure out a jack shaft plan and make sure the sprockets line up and the chain system. Then the exhaust.......... But I think it's what my brain needs now for a challenge. Latest photos showing new skull crusher grips.....
Attached Thumbnails
GoKartChopperHeloNewHouseTurffin 130.jpg   GoKartChopperHeloNewHouseTurffin 134.jpg  

GoKartChopperHeloNewHouseTurffin 153.jpg   ChopperRestoNewHouse 105.jpg  

ChopperRestoNewHouse 103.jpg   ChopperRestoNewHouse 101.jpg  

Randy H (11-18-2017)
Old 10-14-2017, 08:47 AM

The lifan later will be pretty cool...
With the jackshaft itll be a pretty easy install.
If the drive sprocket is on the left side (faceing forward), youll have to make it right side drive..... which is also easy, as it is just a flip of the rear end and Jshaft...
Old 11-16-2017, 12:20 PM
TROLL CRUSHER INC.

OK, I ordered an new block of aluminum from ebay to lift my engine 2". It is approx 4.8" X 8.7" X 2" thick. I should have it in about two more days. I will hold it in place from UNDERNEATH the frame mounting area on the bike and mark the 4 holes and then double check to make sure that measurement matches the measurement of the engine base. I will then take it to a machine shop and have them drill out the four holes in 3/8" I believe. Then I will buy 2" longer than normal engine mounting bolts for a total of approx 3 1/2" long and I believe HARDENED bolts might be a good idea here. This will lift the driven pulley above the frame by about 1" so I can remove or replace the belt, etc. in the future.The aluminum plate cost me approx $35 and worth every penny to me. I will slide it with the engine and that will make for a simple mount system.

Once I get the engine mounted, I will measure and order my custom header that will come out about 5" then drop down about 9" and then go straight back about 16" and then start to curve outward and get chopped off there just under the left rear of the frame next to the rear wheel. The headers are custom made and sold on Ebay for the Preditor 212 cc.

I'm also waiting on a bunch other goodies for my chopper,but, I wil get into that later. BUT , ok I'm also waiting for a cool new front tire!!!!! I CUT off the old tacky moped looking one (so I wouldn't hurt the rim) in favor or a new Perelli tire rated for 95 mph!!! Not bad for a 16" tire. BTW, the old one was 1.5" wide and the new one is 2.75"!! I think it will be just enough to set it off nicely. I will dress it up in lights and leather fringe after I get the drive-train finished. I will have a new battery in the battery box and keep it on a trickle charger OR place a charger on the battery the night before I plan to ride it since I don't want to put a generator/charging system on the 212cc. BUT HEY, I have a jack shaft and all the room I need on the other side to mount a generator or alternator to charge the battery and run the lights. Whatcha think?? All except for the original headlight will be LED.... I'm sure it will look much nicer than my last project Chopper.......................... AND I am cleaning and polishing my front wheel for my larger chopper while I wait for my awesome new tire!!! Thanks for watching and enjoy, Scott
Attached Thumbnails
ChopperNewHouse 036.jpg   NewHouseMiniHarley 030.jpg  

ChopperWheel 002.jpg  
Old 11-16-2017, 02:06 PM

Regular gr8 bolts are just fine... Harder bolts are just a waste of money for this...
Old 11-16-2017, 02:26 PM
The Independent Variable

No need for a machine shop to drill 4 holes. Unless you got a cheap hook up there?
How much will they charge? The drill press I used is less than $70 at HF.
It has been well worth it. No Regrats whatsoever. Not even a single Letter.

This battery pack is supposedly good for 6AMP output. 72W.
12V / 11 AH / 1.6lbs. (pricey at $65 and not supposed to get wet)
https://www.amazon.com/TalentCell-Re.../dp/B016BJCRUO
Not sure how well these work? I just got a 6AH one ($30, 3A max output, 1 lb) to try a 27W LED light.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:47 PM
TROLL CRUSHER INC.

Quote:
No need for a machine shop to drill 4 holes. Unless you got a cheap hook up there?
How much will they charge? The drill press I used is less than $70 at HF.
It has been well worth it. No Regrats whatsoever. Not even a single Letter.

This battery pack is supposedly good for 6AMP output. 72W.
12V / 11 AH / 1.6lbs. (pricey at $65 and not supposed to get wet)
https://www.amazon.com/TalentCell-Re.../dp/B016BJCRUO
Not sure how well these work? I just got a 6AH one ($30, 3A max output, 1 lb) to try a 27W LED light.
Yeh, my neighbor works at a machine shop and works nights. I don't trust my hand drilling and I wish I had a HF drill press but I sold it long ago. I had no way around using a spacer and I wasn't stacking washers like I did as a kid Thanks for the battery info. I will check the dimensions and see if it will fit my battery box. My old battery was an EVER START MAXX ES4-BS. Thanks for the info.

Today I got my new front tire and I sat it in the sun for a bit, then installed it by hand with no problems!! Sure looks great now. Went from 1.5" wide to 2.75" wide and what a difference!! With a fat rear tire, the front skinny tire just didn't sit well with me and also being a nerdy looking moped tire on a $6000 chopper. I am tying to download my photos and will post the difference soon. Thanks, Scott
Attached Thumbnails
NewHouseChopperMiniBike 094.jpg   ChopperTireNewHouse 002.jpg  

ChopperTireNewHouse 001.jpg  
Old 11-18-2017, 02:43 AM

Wow, very cool.

Lots of power plant options. A Briggs Vanguard VTwin would be a nice addition. Yeah, kind of pricey, and may not even fit. I'll try to digitally install one on your frame later.
The Following User Says Thank You to Randy H For This Useful Post:
KingCobra (11-18-2017)
Old 11-18-2017, 07:53 AM

AWESOME!! I'm in the planning stages for a gas motor setup on my mini bike frame, (I was planning an electric motor build), and I was concerned about how a Predator 212 would look on the frame. But your setup looks great and there is no "dead space" to make the motor look tiny. Keep up the great work!
Old 11-18-2017, 08:49 AM
TROLL CRUSHER INC.

Thanks fellas! I was concerned about the how the Pred 212 would look also. After I get it mounted I will be measuring and buying a custom drop header that I found on ebay. I which change out the air cleaner and re-jet it too. I couldn't believe that I actually found a guy that makes 'chopper' headers for the 212cc. I believe that spacer block, lifting the engine two inches helped to fill some of the gap. You know that tank has to come off too. I will have fun while i save for the big boy!! I will change to a V-twin in the future in maybe 670 but not sure. I have been following these guys because they know how to trick out an engine and make it sound good! Once you remove the factory 'beauty covers' it turns awesome!!! It will be electric start so i will lose the pull rope but keep it in the shop if I ever need it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jgkcQhaY7oc
Attached Thumbnails
yyyyyyyy.jpg   yyyyyyyyy.JPG  

yyyyyyy.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 11-18-2017, 10:03 AM
TROLL CRUSHER INC.

BTW, here's another one I picked up two weeks ago. It was a Harley promo and I found it on the local Craigs list here and laid out $500 for it because it's in mint condition w/ extras.. Nothing wrong with it and it's a 4 speed and after you hit 4th gear it just keeps gaining speed with more and more throttle. My guess is that it will do about 35-40 mph. Lights, horn, etc. all work. Has a hydraulic brake system also. Electric starter and generator. I think the gas tank cover is ugly but not worth changing because it has a color changing paint job from blue to purple. Maybe a pearl clear coat of sorts. Darn thing seems to weigh about 300 lbs.! A few buddies told me that that is a Honda 49cc engine. The bike is heavy duty and fun.
Attached Thumbnails
NewHouseMiniHarley 037.jpg   NewHouseMiniHarley 073.jpg  

NewHouseMiniHarley 075.jpg   NewHouseMiniHarley 036.jpg  

NewHouseMiniHarley 041.jpg  
Old 11-18-2017, 06:13 PM
TROLL CRUSHER INC.

Well, today I received my second pair of awesome skull crusher custom grips w/ a throttle cable clamp. I also received my 10" X 5/8" jack-shaft!!!! I also got my new bearings, clamps, etc. etc...... I then removed the old jack shaft and they are easier to work with is not rusty at all, but, I got er done!!! Skippy is probably watching and drooling but that's what he does. Anyway, I got er apart and removed the two sprockets I need to transfer to my new lubed up shaft maybe tomorrow!! I left the greasy buggers in a pails of soapy grease solvent. I'll go out, scrub a dub dub and blow dry them and wrap them in news paper for over night to keep moisture from flashing them. I thought about painting them but natural is ok. They don't seem to have much of any rust on them so that's good!! I will post photos galore pretty soon and we'll watch skippy cringe again.............. So much to say in so little time. Sorry but, I'm cutting it short to go scrub my sprockets!!! Till next time my chopper bros!!!!