Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Go Kart Discussion

Notices

Old 03-11-2020, 07:06 PM

Default Yerf-Dog Spiderbox no start

Hello! Iíve recently acquired an older spiderbox that had been sitting for at least the last 10 years from what we can tell. Iíve since replaced the carb and battery. I got it drivable last Saturday. Ran great! Sunday morning I went to start it aaaaaand nothing... It barely clicked. I tried several timeís through the day and still nothing. I figured the starter solenoid was so, I ordered a new one and a new coil - just because the one on the kart was original and looked terrible.

I tested the start switch and itís working. I also bypassed the brake switch with no luck.

Whatís the next step? I havenít shorted the solenoid, but Iíd rather not. Iíd bet something else is wrong.
Old 03-11-2020, 07:28 PM

short the solenoid it is easy and just dibble check so you don't go fixing something that does not need to be fixed
Old 03-11-2020, 08:58 PM

Okay. I tried jumping the solenoid. Still nothing. It does have 12v from the battery. So, what am I missing here? I guess the starter is no good since it’s not grounding? It really seems like a simple circuit, but I can’t wrap my head around it.

Thanks for any advice!
Old 03-11-2020, 10:24 PM
Enjoying New Projects

Just take a voltmeter or test light and see if the connection at the starter lights up with the key or from jumping the solenoid over.
Old 03-12-2020, 07:08 AM
Senor Member

Same thing happened to me on a Spiderbox I worked on. I went thru all the electronics and even replaced the starter and still nothing.

The fix was taking off the blower fan cover and manually rotating the flywheel a few revolutions.

After that, it fired right up. I'm thinking the crankshaft stopped at a certain stroke position that was too much for the starter to overcome. Either that or something on the CVT was binding up.
Old 03-12-2020, 08:02 AM

If the kart has a GY6, 150cc engine, check the fuses in the power box on top of the engine. Doesn't take much for those to pop. Unplug and reconnect every connector in there also. Over time they oxidize and loose connectivity. Sometimes a simple disconnect and reconnect magically cures everything. Look for any melted or corroded connectors. Clean your ground wires and make sure the ground wire going to the block from the battery is clean and tight.