Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Engines & Clutches

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 08-09-2020, 09:41 AM
vpd66 vpd66 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 108
Thanks: 2
Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Exactly, that is why I want a flow bench that will flow almost anything that could come through the door. The classes of Stock cars that these guys race have such tight engine rules that if your not flow checking your engine parts you won't be able to keep up. There rules don't allow them any porting. Instead of using a flow bench to check your porting results, these guys do it for selective parts picking. They will have a couple sets of heads and will be looking for the better castings. Samething with the carburetors. They are allow only a Holley 4412 500cfm carburetor. If you buy one off the shelf (around $450) most likely you won't keep up. Carb builder's sell race prepped and flowed carbs for $800-$1000. You can take 5 of these carbs and only about 3 out of 5 will actually flow what they should. Most flow less and about maybe 1 out of 100 will flow better then rated. So knowing if you have a good casting is the only way to even begin to build a carb. So in conclusion I can see quite a bit of opportunity to make some side cash and is the reason why I want to build one that I know will be easy to operate, consistent,accurate, and able to do what ever comes through the door. Now I just need to get it done!
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 08-09-2020, 03:34 PM
TheInspiredFool's Avatar
TheInspiredFool TheInspiredFool is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 99
Thanks: 14
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpd66 View Post
Exactly, that is why I want a flow bench that will flow almost anything that could come through the door. The classes of Stock cars that these guys race have such tight engine rules that if your not flow checking your engine parts you won't be able to keep up. There rules don't allow them any porting. Instead of using a flow bench to check your porting results, these guys do it for selective parts picking. They will have a couple sets of heads and will be looking for the better castings. Samething with the carburetors. They are allow only a Holley 4412 500cfm carburetor. If you buy one off the shelf (around $450) most likely you won't keep up. Carb builder's sell race prepped and flowed carbs for $800-$1000. You can take 5 of these carbs and only about 3 out of 5 will actually flow what they should. Most flow less and about maybe 1 out of 100 will flow better then rated. So knowing if you have a good casting is the only way to even begin to build a carb. So in conclusion I can see quite a bit of opportunity to make some side cash and is the reason why I want to build one that I know will be easy to operate, consistent,accurate, and able to do what ever comes through the door. Now I just need to get it done!

Ahh, gotchya. A 500cfm carb is quite the orface to flow steadily and would need to be quite accurate. Well that sounds fun. Them guys sure do spend the money for those magical carbs.


It's kinda sad that if you buy a brand new carb that is used for a class that you won't be competitive in a sanctioned race where the tight rules are there so that it's supposed easy for anyone to be competitive. It seems like it's the same thing as what they are trying to avoid... the people with more money to buy all of the special expensive parts gets a huge advantage and the competitiveness is ruined for the one's who can't afford it.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 08-09-2020, 05:22 PM
vpd66 vpd66 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 108
Thanks: 2
Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInspiredFool View Post
Ahh, gotchya. A 500cfm carb is quite the orface to flow steadily and would need to be quite accurate. Well that sounds fun. Them guys sure do spend the money for those magical carbs.


It's kinda sad that if you buy a brand new carb that is used for a class that you won't be competitive in a sanctioned race where the tight rules are there so that it's supposed easy for anyone to be competitive. It seems like it's the same thing as what they are trying to avoid... the people with more money to buy all of the special expensive parts gets a huge advantage and the competitiveness is ruined for the one's who can't afford it.
Your 100% correct! Every time they make a rule on something to try to slow them down or lower the cost it ends up backfiring and the racers spend more time and money to beat the rules. Years ago they had a class with no motor rule other then it had to be factory cast iron parts and one carburetor. The racers spent less money and most of the time guys would have to much motor for the size tire they were on.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 08-09-2020, 07:04 PM
TheInspiredFool's Avatar
TheInspiredFool TheInspiredFool is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 99
Thanks: 14
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpd66 View Post
Your 100% correct! Every time they make a rule on something to try to slow them down or lower the cost it ends up backfiring and the racers spend more time and money to beat the rules. Years ago they had a class with no motor rule other then it had to be factory cast iron parts and one carburetor. The racers spent less money and most of the time guys would have to much motor for the size tire they were on.

Exactly. It's easier for the poor folk to set-up a car to be competitive when it's easy to have too much power. When the engine is the biggest piece you can gain an advantage it gets expensive. With handling and putting the power down to get traction is key it seems that the little guys can be more competitive with less money if they have enough brains. I guess it depends on the track(s) that you race but it seems like there is more money spent with tighter engine rules.



My dad was involved with competitive competition for a big portion of my life and he made a career out of working on other people's equipment to make them more competitive so atleast there is money to be made from the guys willing to dump as much money as it takes to gain as much of an advantage as possible! Lol
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:52 AM.