Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > All Other Parts

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 05-23-2009, 03:52 PM
Kaptain Krunch's Avatar
Kaptain Krunch Kaptain Krunch is offline
Pro Junk Collector
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: vermont
Posts: 4,635
Thanks: 71
Thanked 339 Times in 311 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotore View Post
since i have no use for this one i have now it's missing a bushing and a sleeve i hit the gear with a hammer (since i was bored and not a scratch

The gears are not the weekness of the peerless gearbox's, its the bushings and thin cast aluminum cases that break the most.
  #42  
Old 05-23-2009, 04:00 PM
Rotore Rotore is offline
Teh SPIK
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Caguas, Puerto Rico
Posts: 1,663
Thanks: 23
Thanked 25 Times in 24 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptain Krunch View Post
The gears are not the weekness of the peerless gearbox's, its the bushings and thin cast aluminum cases that break the most.
yeah ive been reading about htat on heymow. But IDK it depends on what i find a the junkyard tomorrow since i couldnt go today...

BTW On the off chance that i find a horizontal engine... and i'll be using a live axle. what would be a better combo 15T-40T or 10T-60T? (looking for some torque since i cant afford a torque converter at this time)
  #43  
Old 05-23-2009, 04:43 PM
EagleTalons's Avatar
EagleTalons EagleTalons is offline
Master JB Welder
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Forsyth, Montana
Posts: 1,100
Thanks: 21
Thanked 48 Times in 48 Posts
Default

10T 60T is most torque.
The Following User Says Thank You to EagleTalons For This Useful Post:
Rotore (05-23-2009)
  #44  
Old 05-23-2009, 05:14 PM
Rotore Rotore is offline
Teh SPIK
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Caguas, Puerto Rico
Posts: 1,663
Thanks: 23
Thanked 25 Times in 24 Posts
Default

thanks eagle. i wonder if i could rund that setup with the gearbox/transmission?
  #45  
Old 05-23-2009, 06:40 PM
Kaptain Krunch's Avatar
Kaptain Krunch Kaptain Krunch is offline
Pro Junk Collector
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: vermont
Posts: 4,635
Thanks: 71
Thanked 339 Times in 311 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotore View Post
thanks eagle. i wonder if i could rund that setup with the gearbox/transmission?
If you ran a 6:1 ratio (10 to 60 tooth) after the gearbox 7:1 that would be a 42:1 ratio, definitely not what you want unless your making a rock crawler.
  #46  
Old 05-23-2009, 07:15 PM
EagleTalons's Avatar
EagleTalons EagleTalons is offline
Master JB Welder
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Forsyth, Montana
Posts: 1,100
Thanks: 21
Thanked 48 Times in 48 Posts
Default

Just put some really big tires on it. :p
  #47  
Old 05-23-2009, 07:21 PM
Kaptain Krunch's Avatar
Kaptain Krunch Kaptain Krunch is offline
Pro Junk Collector
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: vermont
Posts: 4,635
Thanks: 71
Thanked 339 Times in 311 Posts
Default

100" tires and you could go a whopping 25mph!
  #48  
Old 05-23-2009, 07:56 PM
Rotore Rotore is offline
Teh SPIK
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Caguas, Puerto Rico
Posts: 1,663
Thanks: 23
Thanked 25 Times in 24 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptain Krunch View Post
If you ran a 6:1 ratio (10 to 60 tooth) after the gearbox 7:1 that would be a 42:1 ratio, definitely not what you want unless your making a rock crawler.
ok then what kind of ratio would i be lookin for?
  #49  
Old 05-23-2009, 07:58 PM
Kaptain Krunch's Avatar
Kaptain Krunch Kaptain Krunch is offline
Pro Junk Collector
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: vermont
Posts: 4,635
Thanks: 71
Thanked 339 Times in 311 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotore View Post
ok then what kind of ratio would i be lookin for?
Depends on tire size, engine size and what you want for a top speed. Check out the speed calc here, play with different numbers and find what you like.

http://www.diygokarts.com/speed-calculator.html

To get you gear ratio divide your axle sprocket by engine sprocket (example, 60t on axle 10t on engine=6:1) Same with pulleys, say you have a 3" pulley on the engine and 6" on the transmission you get a 2:1 ratio. If you have more than one reduction, such as 2:1 from engine to transmission, then 7:1 in transmission, then another 6:1 from transmission to tires you simply multiply 2x7x6=84
and since 1x1x1 is 1 then its 84:1.

(i feel like a math teacher...)
  #50  
Old 05-23-2009, 08:11 PM
Rotore Rotore is offline
Teh SPIK
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Caguas, Puerto Rico
Posts: 1,663
Thanks: 23
Thanked 25 Times in 24 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptain Krunch View Post
Depends on tire size, engine size and what you want for a top speed. Check out the speed calc here, play with different numbers and find what you like.

http://www.diygokarts.com/speed-calculator.html

To get you gear ratio divide your axle sprocket by engine sprocket (example, 60t on axle 10t on engine=6:1) Same with pulleys, say you have a 3" pulley on the engine and 6" on the transmission you get a 2:1 ratio. If you have more than one reduction, such as 2:1 from engine to transmission, then 7:1 in transmission, then another 6:1 from transmission to tires you simply multiply 2x7x6=84
and since 1x1x1 is 1 then its 84:1.

(i feel like a math teacher...)
I've been playing with it and it keeps coming up with some car numbers.

most recent 64mph lol

put imma esperiment with a 4"pulley on the engine, a 2" pulley on the gearbox and go from there.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:46 AM.