DIY Go Kart Forum

DIY Go Kart Forum (https://www.diygokarts.com/vb/index.php)
-   Crazy Craigslist Finds (https://www.diygokarts.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Found this yesterday. (https://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=37688)

Espeefan 09-16-2017 02:07 PM

Found this yesterday.
 
Saw this one posted yesterday, and I'm interested in it. I've been having a hard time finding a Dingo 285 anywhere near me. This one is about an hour and a half away. Comes with the stock engine, and it has a brand new Ironton 420cc engine. The guy wants $700 though, but is open to dealing. What do you guys think. I'm thinking it's not worth that much. I've seen really nice Dingo 285s selling for around $400. I know where there are a couple for $500 and $600, in much better condition, but much further from home.

Espeefan 09-16-2017 02:12 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Forgot the pics! D'oh.

anickode 09-16-2017 02:21 PM

Well there's bound to bit of a price increase if it's got a brand new $300 engine on it but $700 still sounds a bit steep.

Espeefan 09-16-2017 02:31 PM

I was able to get him down to $500. It's hard to say what condition it is really in. I'd have to see it in person. I've seen some nicer than this one sell for $400 on Craigslist, but they were gone before I could get there, or they were just to far away!

anickode 09-16-2017 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Espeefan (Post 481045)
I was able to get him down to $500. It's hard to say what condition it is really in. I'd have to see it in person. I've seen some nicer than this one sell for $400 on Craigslist, but they were gone before I could get there, or they were just to far away!

I would say 200 for a dingo roller that appears in decent condition is pretty reasonable. $300 for a brand new motor, which you would have spent anyway. Plus it's got a complete torque converter on it; something that is usually missing from a rolling chassis.

Denny 09-16-2017 09:09 PM

That's a 286, originally it had a 8hp briggs on it. I had one it is a great kart. I still miss mine. $500.00 seems like a good deal with both engines. :wai:


Denny

bob58o 09-16-2017 09:46 PM

$500 seems like a deal to me. A 420cc engine and a TC to fit would cost a good amount of coin if you had to purchase them and then install a jackshaft. If you look at it that way, the roller is pretty cheap.

I'm digging all the Lake Michigan States in this thread. I wonder if all the crazy people living on the coasts know they are just a buffer zone protecting the important states???

:oops: did I type that out loud???

Espeefan 09-16-2017 10:30 PM

A 286, you say? This go kart stuff is pretty new to me. I didn't realize there was a 286, without a full cage. Nice. The seller did mention an 8hp engine that was originally on the kart. Now it makes sense how he fit the 420cc without needing a 40 series torque converter. I was really curious about that.
Now then, is the chassis a little different than a 285? It seems to have a few extra bends in the tubes that run up from the nose to the seat that I haven't noticed before on a legit 285. Is the wheelbase the same? I've been trying to find a 285 that I can do an engine swap on. I have a 10hp Briggs in the garage, looking for a home. Are the Ironton engines any good? Seems they are a knock off made in China, like a Predator.

Hellion 09-17-2017 01:54 PM

Check the Ironton Engine thread. The word of a fellow DIY member that says they're good and Predator performance parts bolt right in is fine by me. This is the 200cc(?) Ironton engine we are discussing, btw.

Someone else will know maybe, but there's basically two kinds of single-seat Dingoes of the kind one sees in your photos; the 285/286 Dingo which is I guess a smaller frame based on the American Express chassis, and a larger model that has a bigger frame, beefier strengthening gussets (with lightening holes) on the front spindle arms, a few other features to beefen up the chassis and usually a trailer hitch of all things. The latter model is obviously intended as a quasi-service vehicle meant for some light ranch or farm duty and sort of marketed to adults.

I don't recall the model number of this larger specimen. https://www.rumsoakedfist.org/images...es/shrug_n.gif

$700? That seller is high on drugs.
$500? Still high.

$300 is the most I'd pay for that pile of junk. Lovable junk but still junk. Now if it was a pristine "cream puff", ridden once and stored for 20 years... maybe a little more cash but not much.

Denny 09-17-2017 08:01 PM

286 is 6" or so longer, 40 series cvt, 8hp, bigger rear tires 11x22x8 and a top speed from the factory of 42 mph. Way more fun than the 285. Also about a $300.00 price difference when new.


Denny

Kansaskart 09-17-2017 08:19 PM

$500 isn't bad, it's what it's worth. It's not a steal. I just bought a great looking dingo with a brand new 420cc predator and new rear tires for $400. Now that's nice. It's already sold for $400. But somehow ended up with a swapped 212 and different rear tires lol. But those deals don't come around often. Your going to spend more than $500 building one, buying a kart then going out and buying a 420. If you like it, don't have others in the area and plan on keeping it then buy it.

Espeefan 09-18-2017 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denny (Post 481145)
286 is 6" or so longer, 40 series cvt, 8hp, bigger rear tires 11x22x8 and a top speed from the factory of 42 mph. Way more fun than the 285. Also about a $300.00 price difference when new.


Denny

Thanks for the information! It sounds like a 286 is more for me than a 285. I just like the lines of the chassis and it's simplicity. Bigger tires, a 40 series torque converter, and higher top speed sounds good to me!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellion (Post 481117)
Check the Ironton Engine thread. The word of a fellow DIY member that says they're good and Predator performance parts bolt right in is fine by me. This is the 200cc(?) Ironton engine we are discussing, btw.

Someone else will know maybe, but there's basically two kinds of single-seat Dingoes of the kind one sees in your photos; the 285/286 Dingo which is I guess a smaller frame based on the American Express chassis, and a larger model that has a bigger frame, beefier strengthening gussets (with lightening holes) on the front spindle arms, a few other features to beefen up the chassis and usually a trailer hitch of all things. The latter model is obviously intended as a quasi-service vehicle meant for some light ranch or farm duty and sort of marketed to adults.

I don't recall the model number of this larger specimen. https://www.rumsoakedfist.org/images...es/shrug_n.gif

$700? That seller is high on drugs.
$500? Still high.

$300 is the most I'd pay for that pile of junk. Lovable junk but still junk. Now if it was a pristine "cream puff", ridden once and stored for 20 years... maybe a little more cash but not much.

Thanks for the info and input. I usually check craigslist every day for something decent, close-ish to home, and a good deal. I'm okay spending the money for something nice, but in my mind, it needs to be practically pristine for $500 or more. I figure if this Dingo in question is still available 2 weekends from now, maybe I'll take a look at it. I know good deals are out there, and I know it's not cheap to fix a basket case up too. I learned that lesson.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.