Yerf Dog 3203 live axle flange bearing removal

dimlight85

Reaction score
I know I know..they get rusted on and so on. I have gotten everything on the axle loose; bearings, brake rotor, sprocket, snap rings etc. How do I get the bearing out of the flanges or back in for that matter? Also, I have the bearings loose on the axle (slide back and forth about an inch) but there seems to be a small ridge I can’t get it over to slide it off. I’m assuming I can sand that ridge down enough to get it off but don’t want to damage the axle.

Any links to getting the bearings in and out?

Brianator

Gettin' er done!
Reaction score
File the ridges down with a bastard file most of the way then finish it off by sanding, clean up the rest of the shaft (that you can) with emery cloth and that should take care of that part. Take your time, only remove how much you need to and you should be good. A little oil always helps too.

Can't help you with the bearing removal as it's not in front of me and I'm new to the karting world, I'm extremely mechanically inclined but won't offer you advice I'm unsure of. Be patient, someone with alot of knowledge on the subject is probably not far away (so to speak).

dimlight85

Reaction score
I don’t know why I can’t find any videos or otherwise of someone removing/replacing this or something like it. Maybe I’m not using the correct words when searching.

Attachments

• ACBCC277-367D-4CE3-9167-D7BD15DB049D.jpg
    ACBCC277-367D-4CE3-9167-D7BD15DB049D.jpg
    311.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 4A1F4202-3EEE-4B4A-9FA3-EA15BD7EAC95.jpg
    4A1F4202-3EEE-4B4A-9FA3-EA15BD7EAC95.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 7A0C7BB1-637E-43E4-9F9C-8585B8A4B3D6.jpg
    7A0C7BB1-637E-43E4-9F9C-8585B8A4B3D6.jpg
    397.6 KB · Views: 14

Brianator

Gettin' er done!
Reaction score
There may be (and probably is) a indent under that set screw also, when they're cranked too tight it can make it tough to remove but a dremel bit like this can help level it off. If your still having a tough time after all that you'll have no choice but to beat it off with a BFH and a wrench large enough to fit over the shaft (stand it beside but against the carrier and hit it).

Attachments

• dremel-rotary-tool-bits-454-64_1000.jpg
    dremel-rotary-tool-bits-454-64_1000.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 2

anickode

Reaction score
The bearings have a spherical outer race, and are sandwiched between the two halves of the flange. Just tap a flathead screwdriver between the two pieces of the flange to pop them apart.

anickode

Reaction score
I thought that was the case. I didn’t want to bend them too much in the process but I’m sure they’ll be fine.

You can always pound them back flat if they bend. It's just sheet metal, and they're dirt cheap to replace if you ruin them altogether.

dimlight85

Reaction score
I got everything off last night with some 80 grit and a little help from my friend PB. After I sanded the rust and a couple high spots down, they slid right off. There was a ridge all the way around right where the edge of the bearing race sat but now it’s smooth and my new bearings slide on and off easy enough.

The bigger chore was the sprocket and key. It took some coercing but I finally got the sprocket loose. The axle is in good shape with just some rust pitting here and there. Also, the new bearings I got don’t allow the snap ring on one side of one of them as they are a hair wider than the previous but when I was looking to purchase on BMI or OMB or GPS; one of them said that would be the case.

Gasteffens

Reaction score
I don’t think this thread is too old to post in; do you have any after photos of your work?

I’m replacing my 3203 rear swing arm and as I removed the rear axle, no bolts appeared to be in the right spots or correct directions, someone was in here before and threw it together all kiddy wampum. I’ll be in a similar boat because I need to loosen everything on the axle so I can re center it as well. Thanks!

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Just want to toss in for everyone a tidbit on getting things off of axles. I personally wouldn't have a lot of faith in the condition of any bearing that had been violently beaten on to remove it, or the mill flatness of a sprocket, etc. you get the idea. Therefore the item would get thrown away after removal no matter what, I wouldn't baby it. Cut out all my steel materials for jobs with a 4.5" angle grinder using cheap .0625" metal cutoff wheels. Using same for carefully slicing through a bearing, lock collar, hub, or whatever in 2 places so it falls right off can happen start/end in bare minutes, and no sweat dripping off me. Even if it accidentally digs a little scratch into an axle for example, no harm done. Unlike the ragged gouging to an axle that can occur when violently trying to do it the hard way.