Yerf Dog 3203 light refurbishing

Gasteffens

Reaction score
So I figured I'd start to log some of the progress on our family's kart. It's an old Yerf Dog 3203 which we got for a fair price which included delivery. Though I don't think it was every in any traumatic accident or roll-over, as I get into it I have discovered the common parts of the frame which have shown their age. Fortunately "BMI Karts" still makes some of these and according to the reviews, are equal or better than original. We have bit the bullet and ordered new front A arms/spindles and the rear swing arm. I have some ideas to save on wear in the spindles which I'll share once I get them together. The biggest challenge now is making time to work on it; married, 2 kids (one brand new) and a full time job - at war with me in my 30s finally with a gokart I wanted in my high school days, ha!

Sorry if some of these pictures seem sporadic, but that's how it's been going so far. My plan is to get the new parts all painted in the next few weeks, then carefully box them for the time being and move into a R&R phase once we are done riding it for the season. I'll try to get some good progress pictures and side-by-side pictures of the replacements for any who are considering this path.

George

Attachments

Gasteffens

Reaction score
So I figured I'd start to log some of the progress on our family's kart. It's an old Yerf Dog 3203 which we got for a fair price which included delivery. Though I don't think it was every in any traumatic accident or roll-over, as I get into it I have discovered the common parts of the frame which have shown their age. Fortunately "BMI Karts" still makes some of these and according to the reviews, are equal or better than original. We have bit the bullet and ordered new front A arms/spindles and the rear swing arm. I have some ideas to save on wear in the spindles which I'll share once I get them together. The biggest challenge now is making time to work on it; married, 2 kids (one brand new) and a full time job - at war with me in my 30s finally with a gokart I wanted in my high school days, ha!

Sorry if some of these pictures seem sporadic, but that's how it's been going so far. My plan is to get the new parts all painted in the next few weeks, then carefully box them for the time being and move into a R&R phase once we are done riding it for the season. I'll try to get some good progress pictures and side-by-side pictures of the replacements for any who are considering this path.

George
The paint ready for action, and one picture of my little motivator and me! At least she has fun and doesn't see the work to be done like I do, LOL

Attachments

Gasteffens

Reaction score
Getting some of the new parts from BMI painted. Certainly recommend them as far as quality of metal and welds, we’ll see how they fit when I get there.

Attachments

Gasteffens

Reaction score
A kid's smile makes all the effort worth it. It's coming along good. :)
She’s one of my biggest motivators. I always wanted one of these to share with a kid who enjoys it, and she’s just that excited every time we bring it out. She is equally sad when it shuts off for any reason lol. She does give me little moments of focus with working on it which is fun too.

7thofa2nd

Reaction score
"For the kids" is my reason AND my excuse... as a kid, I always wanted one. Watching their eyes light up and the smile that follows. Love it. You are building memories she'll never forget.

Gasteffens

Reaction score
"For the kids" is my reason AND my excuse... as a kid, I always wanted one. Watching their eyes light up and the smile that follows. Love it. You are building memories she'll never forget.
I hope so! It’s a little nostalgic for me, my dad did this stuff with me, sometimes I can’t believe how time flies. We also have a 1 month old boy and I’ll be curious to see where his interests end up!

7thofa2nd

Reaction score
I hope so! It’s a little nostalgic for me, my dad did this stuff with me, sometimes I can’t believe how time flies. We also have a 1 month old boy and I’ll be curious to see where his interests end up!
He'll be interested in what you're interested in if you make that time quality time and build good memories together. My kids are now older with kids of their own, and they're always bringing up "rememeber when we... (fill in the blank)."

Gasteffens

Reaction score
He'll be interested in what you're interested in if you make that time quality time and build good memories together. My kids are now older with kids of their own, and they're always bringing up "rememeber when we... (fill in the blank)."
Oh boy, I do that with my dad all the time. I’ve learned more over the last few years what my parents were going through when I was little I’d never have known then. All I knew is my dad was always finding ways to spend time with me with whatever I was working on. I’m trying to do that too.

7thofa2nd

Reaction score
Oh boy, I do that with my dad all the time. I’ve learned more over the last few years what my parents were going through when I was little I’d never have known then. All I knew is my dad was always finding ways to spend time with me with whatever I was working on. I’m trying to do that too.
If you're trying, you'll succeed. Your children will remember... fondly.