Yerf Dog 3203 advice?

ONE-EYE

Reaction score
So I'm trying to bring a YERF DOG 3203 back to life and was wondering if anyone had any mounting issues with the predator 212 engine swap? I don't have a welder so I can't move or install a different mounting plate to the frame. Just wondering if it would line up with the axle sprocket really... also, any recommendations on a decent 30 series torque converter for a good price that'll work well? Thanks!

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
I think it will just bolt on. Might have to slide sprocket over some. Any cheap amazon or e-pay one will work. Just don’t use the belt that comes in the kit. Get a Genuine Comet belt. If you are smart you will go to Gokart Supply and research cvt systems. Could you get us some good pictures of the rear of the kart for us to know for sure?

ONE-EYE

Reaction score
It has the old tecumseh on it now (which I did get running with a new carb) but it's finicky and I have to keep the rpms up for it to run, which won't let the TAV disengage. Plus the jackshaft mount is messed up. I was thinking since the engine has to be pulled to get the jackshaft mount off and the price of a new mount and original converter is around $200...why not put a new motor and converter with the jackshaft mount built into the backplate on instead? It's a pain to change the oil anyway because the oil plug is directly behind that jackshaft mount.

Attachments

• 16322419764462285594673291713718.jpg
    16322419764462285594673291713718.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 9
  • 1632242071244406498491392774272.jpg
    1632242071244406498491392774272.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 8

ONE-EYE

Reaction score
I was also considering going ahead and getting an entirely new rear axle setup since the sprocket and brake drum are rusted pretty bad. Getting the tires off has been an issue too because the bolt that holds them on is larger than a 1-5/16 but smaller than a 1-1/2. It needs new tires anyway too so it might just make sense to get a new axle with everything that has to be moved and adjusted. So far almost every bolt I've pulled has been needing replaced due to rust or stripping.

Attachments

• 16322433522865145915847669825206.jpg
    16322433522865145915847669825206.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 8
  • 16322434972888629791293674433628.jpg
    16322434972888629791293674433628.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 8

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Here's the site Denny mentioned for research. Read all the beginning text about selecting and installing genuine Comet belts. Then scroll to the bottom and read that entire page of text about CVT's and belts, you'll be glad you did.
Comet Drive Belts | Comet Torque Converter Belts | Go Kart Belts (gokartsupply.com)
I've had good luck with these cheap ebay 30 series CVT's, but they do really benefit beyond that from a genuine Comet belt.
Go Kart Torque Converter Clutch Kit for 10T #40#41#420 and 3/4" 12T #35 2HP-7HP | eBay

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
In my experience the Comet belt will outlast the cheap aftermarket belts by about 10-1. I am a big fan of that type of jackshaft setup that is on that kart and would do what I needed to to keep it. But that is just me.

panchothedog

Reaction score
I have two yerf-dog karts, one of them the same model as yours. I put a clone engine (196cc but demention wise same as a predator) to get more power than I could ever get out of the Tecumseh. It was a pretty easy bolt on swap.Engine holes lined up perfectly. I stayed with the stock jack shaft and clutch and it works good. If you can save yours, do so. If it's only rust, some sandpaper, elbow grease and brake parts cleaner can do wonders. The reason I say to try to save it is that the driven clutch should be 7" where as any new converter you buy will be 6" . It doesn't sound like much but what it does is give you a lower starting gear ratio w/o sacrificing anything on top end speed. With the limited engine power we have available it makes a difference in acceleration and hill climbing ability. I have 4 karts, all with torque converter two with 6" and two with 7" so l have 1 st hand knowledge of this. If you have the stock clutches driver and 7" driven REGARDLESS of condition they are very easy to freshen up. There isn't very many parts to them and there's a ton of videos showing how to do it. I realize you might be new this stuff but it is all really pretty easy to figure out and you can find a kart video to walk you through most anything.

ONE-EYE

Reaction score
I have two yerf-dog karts, one of them the same model as yours. I put a clone engine (196cc but demention wise same as a predator) to get more power than I could ever get out of the Tecumseh. It was a pretty easy bolt on swap.Engine holes lined up perfectly. I stayed with the stock jack shaft and clutch and it works good. If you can save yours, do so. If it's only rust, some sandpaper, elbow grease and brake parts cleaner can do wonders. The reason I say to try to save it is that the driven clutch should be 7" where as any new converter you buy will be 6" . It doesn't sound like much but what it does is give you a lower starting gear ratio w/o sacrificing anything on top end speed. With the limited engine power we have available it makes a difference in acceleration and hill climbing ability. I have 4 karts, all with torque converter two with 6" and two with 7" so l have 1 st hand knowledge of this. If you have the stock clutches driver and 7" driven REGARDLESS of condition they are very easy to freshen up. There isn't very many parts to them and there's a ton of videos showing how to do it. I realize you might be new this stuff but it is all really pretty easy to figure out and you can find a kart video to walk you through most anything.
Well I believe the mount is shot. I tried to fix it with new bearings and no go. Not sure exactly why but I pulled it. I figured it was worth it just to get a new TAV. Is it possible to go with the clone engine and new TAV and then just buy the 7" driven later to go on it? I realize I would need a new belt too but honestly...I'm ready to see this thing ride again. We've been working on it all summer and we've only road it one lap around the house. Hopefully we'll be able to have some actual fun sometime this fall before winter...my goal anyway.

panchothedog

Reaction score
The 7" driven is something that you can buy separately but you will have to modify the stock belt guard as it will more than likely be sized to fit over a 6" clutch . I put a clone engine on mine because I had it just laying around.
Nnothing wrong at all with a predator, I own two of them. I have teenage grandsons and they all want the karts go fast. Speed parts for the Tecumseh are almost non existent and for both the clone and the predator are redaily available, many interchangeable so buy whatever you can make the best deal on. If you have a 7" clutch that came with the kart no reason you can't use it with a new torque converter.

ONE-EYE

Reaction score
The 7" driven is something that you can buy separately but you will have to modify the stock belt guard as it will more than likely be sized to fit over a 6" clutch . I put a clone engine on mine because I had it just laying around.
Nnothing wrong at all with a predator, I own two of them. I have teenage grandsons and they all want the karts go fast. Speed parts for the Tecumseh are almost non existent and for both the clone and the predator are redaily available, many interchangeable so buy whatever you can make the best deal on. If you have a 7" clutch that came with the kart no reason you can't use it with a new torque converter.
Thanks for the help/advice. Knowing I can mount another engine without having to weld and grind is a relief. Now I just have to figure out a new axle setup and hopefully we'll be ready to roll. I really appreciate it. I'll try to post some pics when it's done.