Will this motor work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

roadie114

Reaction score
How fast would a go kart go with this motor mounted? It's 48v 1200W. Anyproblems using this? It's described for chain-driven scooters. Thx!!

wingnut

Reaction score
May I ask where you found that motor and how much it's going to cost? I've looked at similar motors on ebay but the largest of that style that I've seen is 1000watts and the controller was a little on the pricey side.

What I'd really like to do is run a golf cart motor like this guy did:

http://neurotikart.com/

There's one ebay retailer selling used golf cart motors for $80. The controller will run over $100. The biggest problem is that golf cart motors have an open face on the output side and no bearing. You have to machine a custom faceplate to hold the bearing and the output shaft. His web site has lots of detail though. A definate 'must read' if you're entertaining an electric cart.

roadie114

Reaction score
www.electricscooterparts.com

Scroll to the bottom of the motors page, they have quite a few 36 and 48 volt models available for under $200. They even have a 36 volt battery, but not sure if that could replace 3 12v or if it would work.

roadie114

Reaction score
May I ask where you found that motor and how much it's going to cost? I've looked at similar motors on ebay but the largest of that style that I've seen is 1000watts and the controller was a little on the pricey side.

What I'd really like to do is run a golf cart motor like this guy did:

http://neurotikart.com/

There's one ebay retailer selling used golf cart motors for $80. The controller will run over $100. The biggest problem is that golf cart motors have an open face on the output side and no bearing. You have to machine a custom faceplate to hold the bearing and the output shaft. His web site has lots of detail though. A definate 'must read' if you're entertaining an electric cart.

That's the kart I would love to build, but at a lower cost. I just received a 52cc Scooterx Power Kart for my daughter, but adults can ride it too. If/when the engine dies I'll convert it to electric I think. It's really solid, not too expensive for what you get and how fast it goes. Here's the link for it:

www.scooterx.biz/go-karts/52cc-powerkart.htm

The video shows a 4 year old riding it, my daughter is 5. Pretty cool design from what I've seen so far.

oscaryu1

Reaction score
With those tiny wheels, I doubt disc brakes do much good :p

And a quite old design... I saw the same thing in the X-Mas of 05'... When I myself was trying to locate up a good bargin on a go kart.

roadie114

Reaction score
With those tiny wheels, I doubt disc brakes do much good :p

And a quite old design... I saw the same thing in the X-Mas of 05'... When I myself was trying to locate up a good bargin on a go kart.

Actually, it works great. Alot of stopping power.

my_mini_bike

Reaction score
I have a wimpy 24v 200W motor on an E-Scooter that was given to my by a friend and it can haul all of my 170 pound ***:roflol:
And with a bit of a push-pff to get it going, it can do a good... i would say 15km/h on a slight slope. Not to bad.

With 1200W engine that thing would have a bit of grunt.
And like jerry said, it will really scoot!

koolaidman3

Reaction score
im pretty new to this, but 1200w is only only 1.6 hp, probably a little lower because electric motor are not 100% efficient.
That etek mentioned above somewhere is 6-15hp- so im not really impressed, good price though.

Status
Not open for further replies.