Why are electric kart tires small?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe_Oh

Reaction score
Just wondering why I see that most karts, both electric and gasoline powered, have such small diameter tires. Is it to keep the speed down? Is it to reduce build cost? Easier on the motor? Or simply tradition.

Thanx-

ryf

Reaction score
its because it requires less torque/power to spin a smaller wheel/tire, therefore less kinetic energy(or lack thereof) to overcome for acceleration.. to be blunt.. it uses less of the battery to get going if you use smaller tires in most cases. having less overall weight also means less energy used to fight gravity/wind resistance.

Joe_Oh

Reaction score
I'm going to use a 60 volt system with a max draw of 100amps. Whats the reccomended size to get the best speed and torque? I'd like to hit 70mph max, but then again, I'm a dreamer.

I'm thinking about going with 16" tires, with a wide-base for traction. I plan to use this street-legal kart for making short trips to the store or fast food place.

Gibles

Reaction score
I'm not sure what type of frame you're using but I'd go with the traditional sizes found on either the buggy style karts or the shifter style. You'll use up more of your batteries just to getting going and unless your commute has no stops, I don't see the point.

ryf

Reaction score
I'd go with trailer tires, smallest you can get(about 16" on the tire). if its on the road the tires must be dot approved

Status
Not open for further replies.