When the chain. Doesn't. Stay. On.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultralight01

Senior Yet Young Member
Reaction score
So, I've fixed my Birel. Kart's great, engine's great, brand new sprocket and clutch. But the chain won't stay on.

I've tightened the axle, tightenedthe sprocket, moved the clutch and locked it down with a lock washer and loctite, made sure the alignment was correct...

Yet after 30 seconds of driving the chain always falls off. Several times it was because A: my master link wasn't correct B: the chain was bent from being thrown or C: my alignment was off.

Now everything is perfect but it's not working.

My chain is from NAPA. could this be the problem? It seems to bend easily.
Any recommendations for a quality chain? And I have pics, I'll post those and maybe get a suggestion.

Thanks. :censored::mad:

mckutzy

Reaction score
You definitely need a new chain. There is one link broken right at the master link.....

As for the derailment, Is it perfectly aligned with the clutch? as in used a straight edge to check.

After installing did you do a free wheel spin with out power? I do this ever time I have to dismount the chain. I spin the wheel and see if something needs to be corrected somehow.

And of course its the axle bent by some means?.... maybe check with a straight edge...

ultralight01

Senior Yet Young Member
Reaction score
Is the axle bent... Hmm. Didn't think of that, but it slid into the bearings easily. I'll double check the alignment with a straight edge...

Yes I did do a free wheel spin. And I saw the smushed link...

This is difficult :/

mckutzy

Reaction score
It may have a wow to it , and that wouldn't be enough for the bearing to not move....
The bend maybe in the middle where no bearings are, but enough that the sprocket will move enough to derail the chain.... it only needs about one sprocket width away to come off...

ultralight01

Senior Yet Young Member
Reaction score
I'd like to try everything else before I replace the axle, because that would be a pain in the but and my wallet.
That said, this axle isn't too bad. http://www.fastech-racing.com/swift-axle-40x1040mm.html

I've spent $450 on the kart, $300 for the engine and $100 for parts. I'm wondering if I should just trade/sell this one or if it's worth it to keep spending money? Might not sell for much if you can't drive it.

mckutzy

Reaction score
Well you need a new chain......get that...
Jack it up, spin the wheel... is it bent.... the sprocket or the axle.... should be able to tell off hand by eye....
Then check alignment again (its better when you have the new chain but it wont totally matter).

DeathMachine

Reaction score
I cannot judge it by the info provided on the web page.

-note- I work for a company that builds industrial machinery, we use quite a bit of chain.
The hardware store variety is good for low speed, low torque jobs like a hand crank adjustment. We use o-ringed high strength chain like what I linked for our powered applications.

Has anyone used the RLV Extreme chain ultralight01 linked? Is it good?

DeathMachine

Reaction score
Too bad you live in a galaxy far far away from Michigan, I get the 'leftover' chain free from work, usually just long enough for a go kart, but too short for our application.

DeathMachine

Reaction score
I would pay you to ship it to me if it was #35!
If it's truly some good bulletproof go kart applicable chain.

Let me see if we have any short lengths of the o ring chain. Should be able to fit enough for a go kart in a small flat rate box.

Update> The bean counters have attacked! All our smaller chain is now from Thailand, I have no idea how strong it is. I will see if I have any of the 'good stuff' at home.

ultralight01

Senior Yet Young Member
Reaction score
Oh! Thanks for the picture.
The nuts holding the sprocket on are bent up giving the illusion of an angle, but the carrier and sprocket are flat and spin perfectly without wobble.

However, something could have happened, I'll make sure.

That chain got thrown under the kart when it came off. So that link and a bunch of stuff just got torn up.

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
I was expecting one of those photos where it's difficult to tell what's wrong, but that chain of yours speaks volumes of error. I'm surprised you've lived with it this long as that's one of the worst chains I've ever seen. Yeah it's your chain, for one.

Sorry, Obi Wan. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.