Wheel hubs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Ham

Reaction score
alright so I have a problem. I have some 145/70-6 wheels, and a 25mm axle. I have looked and I can't find anyone that sells a hub for these wheels and axle. The only hubs I have been able to find are for splined axles, like in the picture.:huh:
so might need to make my own, but I have no way of cutting a keyway into one if I do make it. I might be able to use a file:ack2:, but I'll be needing 3 or 4 hubs so thats probably not practical...
so does anyone know if such hubs exist?
thanks!
if not, I'll just have to make my own and hope for the best...I have done it before:thumbsup:

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 145_x70-6_wheel_80013_______.jpg
    145_x70-6_wheel_80013_______.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 2

anickode

Reaction score
Instead of cutting your own keyways in a tube, why not find a solid keyed shaft coupler? One should be long enough you can cut in half, and weld the halves to a piece of plate that's cut and drilled for your bolt pattern.

qtband

Reaction score
Buy a hub that fits the axle.
Cut off the flange that has the correct stud holes and weld it to the hub with the keyway. Done.
Here are 2 pics of hubs I did like that....only opposite. I needed the spline shaft.

Attachments

• hub 1.jpg
    hub 1.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 5
  • hub2.jpg
    hub2.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 2

David Ham

Reaction score
that would be another option, but the only wheel hubs I have been able to find are aluminium. I've contacted a machine shop and hopefully they be able to do it. if not, I guess I'll just have to use a file:(...

anickode

Reaction score
There are lots available online... I googled "25mm solid shaft coupler"

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/m...dnnHB4ylMUuUfrNuCi3GSQ5QzRL5HhosaAn4PEALw_wcB

Obviously shipping to Oz would be horrible, and metric anything in the US is automatically 4x the price, but there's got to be something like that available locally.

Any motor/pump supply houses in your area? Sometimes the trick is to just go in and ask.

David Ham

Reaction score
hmm yeah the nearest place is not far away but I just had another idea, I might be able to cast some hubs out of aluminium. Obviously they would have to be pretty beefy to make sure they don't break, but its probably worth a shot. And I can test them for strength before using them also.

David Ham

Reaction score

anickode

Reaction score
Maybe buy a set of 6" rims that has a more common bolt pattern?

When comparing it to multiple options that will all require machine shop work, it will be cheaper.

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score

No need to reinvent the wheel you know (ha-haa!). Just find better wheels if at all feasible.

David Ham

Reaction score
yeah, I should have gotten different wheels, but I also could have gotten hubs for $30 along with the other stuff, but I didn't think I would need them:mad2:
now the cheapest option is $60 for a pair... and wheels would be around that much each. Making a plate that bolts onto the hub and then the would be the easiest option, but I'll try casting them first, if that doesn't work I might buy the hubs...

Status
Not open for further replies.