What's the right angle for my front wheels?

Reaction score
OK, so the title pretty much says it. I've attached a couple pictures so you can see what I'm working with. The rig I cut it off of had the whole thing tilted so the shocks and casters were at like a 45 degree angle, so there was roughly a 2-mile turning radius. Is straight up and down the best angle, or should I tilt it back like 10 degrees, or 30 degrees? Does anyone have a tutorial I just somehow couldn't manage to find?

Attachments

• IMG_20201216_213037[1].jpg
    IMG_20201216_213037[1].jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20201216_213044[1].jpg
    IMG_20201216_213044[1].jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:

jamyers

Reaction score
The angle you care about is Caster, the rearward leaning of the steering 'kingpin' - the actual bolt the steering pivots around. The angle of the shocks will only affect the amount of travel and 'bounciness'

Reaction score
Position of the shocks has bupkus to do with steering geometry.
Yes I know, the shocks were a reference point. The entire thing was 45 deg. backwards.

The angle you care about is Caster, the rearward leaning of the steering 'kingpin' - the actual bolt the steering pivots around. The angle of the shocks will only affect the amount of travel and 'bounciness'
So what's the right caster angle? How can I find out?

jamyers

Reaction score
Most karts are around 7 degrees Caster (top of the kingpin to the rear of the kart)

If it's twitchy at speed, you need more caster (each side needs to be same). If the steering is too heavy, you've got too much

Last edited by a moderator: