• OFF TOPIC fun forum - NO politics - NO religion - NO jerks. It's not complicated. Thanks!

What's on the grill?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy H

Reaction score
First time grilling for me this year. Beer Brats, Kingsford Competition charcoal, chunks of Applewood, and a little Sweet Baby Rays.

Oh, and plenty of alcoholic, or non (we don't discriminate here) beverages for all.

Attachments

• PSX_20180422_164720.jpg
    PSX_20180422_164720.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6

anickode

Reaction score
First time grilling this year? Shoot, I've burned 2 tanks of propane (yes, yes, I know) since January 1. The snow helps keep the beer cold.

I did burgers for lunch today. 1.5lb of 85% lean beef, one egg, a dash of bread crumbs, and my proprietary blend of seasonings. Knead it all together, divide into 6 patties. Grill to medium, add a piece of deli sliced sharp cheddar and let it melt. Patties will be medium well by the time the cheese is melted.

They're always a hit when I make em.

Randy H

Reaction score
First time grilling this year? Shoot, I've burned 2 tanks of propane (yes, yes, I know) since January 1. The snow helps keep the beer cold.

I did burgers for lunch today. 1.5lb of 85% lean beef, one egg, a dash of bread crumbs, and my proprietary blend of seasonings. Knead it all together, divide into 6 patties. Grill to medium, add a piece of deli sliced sharp cheddar and let it melt. Patties will be medium well by the time the cheese is melted.

They're always a hit when I make em.

Nothing wrong with propane (and accessories). Lol. Oh, the smell of wood and charcoal though, Giggity, Giggity!!

Your burgers sound good!

anickode

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with propane (and accessories). Lol. Oh, the smell of wood and charcoal though, Giggity, Giggity!!

Your burgers sound good!

Truth is I prefer cooking with charcoal, but when it comes down to it, propane is more convenient, which means I grill a whole lot more often.

Nosandwich

The REAL Poboy
Reaction score
I tell ya what, as a salesman for Strickland Propane, I can tell ya propane is much better than charcoal.

As a non- Hank Hill real life person, I prefer all wood.

Randy H

Reaction score
I tell ya what, as a salesman for Strickland Propane, I can tell ya propane is much better than charcoal.

As a non- Hank Hill real life person, I prefer all wood.

All wood for maximum flavor. Especially for beef and larger cuts of pork. I guess there are many variables. I know I've made some horrible tasting chicken before. Lol. Maybe just poor choice of wood, and believe it or not, possibly excessive alcohol consumption. :cheers2:

Texan

Senor Member
Reaction score
Did a brisket overnight, put in at 8pm last night, took out at noon today. Used mostly oak and threw in a couple chunks of mesquite to smoke it low and slow. Nice smoke ring and juicy bark. No special occasion, just got it for a good deal, and weather was great. I'll be eating this for the next few days. :thumbsup:

20180422_190306.jpg

anickode

Reaction score
Did a brisket overnight, put in at 8pm last night, took out at noon today. Used mostly oak and threw in a couple chunks of mesquite to smoke it low and slow. Nice smoke ring and juicy bark. No special occasion, just got it for a good deal, and weather was great. I'll be eating this for the next few days. :thumbsup:

View attachment 96681

I would expect nothing less from a Texan with "Texan" as a username. :thumbsup::2guns:

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know if it is just how America is portrayed, but it always looks like all you guys ever cook on a barbecue is burgers and wieners for hotdogs. Those are the absolute last things that we would ever throw on a fire here in South Africa. We are all about the meat :D Lamb chops, boerewors, kebabs, etc etc

Oh, and here is a nice website for you guys to try out. You can make your own Braai Pie. It's the bomb!!
http://hungryhubbys.blogspot.co.za/2014/11/south-arican-braai-pie.html

Attachments

• Guide-to-Braai-Meat-3.jpg
    Guide-to-Braai-Meat-3.jpg
    307.6 KB · Views: 4
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 48
  • sabraai5.jpg
    sabraai5.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 3
  • South-African-braai.jpg
    South-African-braai.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 48

anickode

Reaction score
I don't know if it is just how America is portrayed, but it always looks like all you guys ever cook on a barbecue is burgers and wieners for hotdogs. Those are the absolute last things that we would ever throw on a fire here in South Africa. We are all about the meat :D Lamb chops, boerewors, kebabs, etc etc

Oh, and here is a nice website for you guys to try out. You can make your own Braai Pie. It's the bomb!!

Well, you sort of have to differentiate between barbecue and grilling here in the US. Big difference. Grilling a fast, hot, and convenient (which is why I concede to propane for grilling), whereas barbecue is slow, cooler, smoky, and amazing, and cannot be done over anything but wood.

I do grill a lot of burgers, steaks, chicken breast, pork chops, kebab, etc, but any bigger cuts of meat get BBQ'd for sure.

My uncle and aunt were in Middelburg about 9 months ago. They told me about the barbecues in SA. I felt like a starry-eyed kid listening to "the night before Christmas" for the first time. :smiley_omg: LOL.

Sort of puts even Texas barbecue to shame.

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, you sort of have to differentiate between barbecue and grilling here in the US. Big difference. Grilling a fast, hot, and convenient (which is why I concede to propane for grilling), whereas barbecue is slow, cooler, smoky, and amazing, and cannot be done over anything but wood.

I do grill a lot of burgers, steaks, chicken breast, pork chops, kebab, etc, but any bigger cuts of meat get BBQ'd for sure.

My uncle and aunt were in Middelburg about 9 months ago. They told me about the barbecues in SA. I felt like a starry-eyed kid listening to "the night before Christmas" for the first time. :smiley_omg: LOL.

Sort of puts even Texas barbecue to shame.

:D :D :D :funnypost:

If anyone here barbecues burgers and wieners, they will get strange look :D :wai:

We don't do the "slower" barbecue like you guys do, where you smoke meats with different types of wood etc. (like the brisket you did). I think I would enjoy that

Randy H

Reaction score

I would like to try that. One of the ingredients is unobtainable around my house though. I'll just have to wing it. Lol.

INGREDIENTS

2 rolls puff pastry, defrosted
15ml sunflower oil
1 onion, finely diced
1 packet salami
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
½ cup chutney or sweet chilli sauce
1 cup leftover steak, diced
1 egg, lightly whisked

supermanotorious

Winchmaster 5000
Reaction score
steaks for us last night, something about grilling in your backyard at sunset with national forest as your surroundings, amazing

on a loosely related note, I have a friend who built his own smoker from the ground up and it is simply a thing of beauty, it is massive, and I mean massive as he is almost 7' tall and with his permission, I'll upload pics of his build in the section of our forum

supermanotorious

Winchmaster 5000
Reaction score
I don't understand how those can be classified as smokers, the food is cooked over the heat of the coals as opposed to only by the heat in the smoke

Status
Not open for further replies.