what size tires are these?

Status
Not open for further replies.

taotao110d

SPP_MN
Reaction score
Hey guys, Ive had this picture saved on my computer for quite a while, and finally picked up my dream frame, the Manco American Express to copy this picture, but have no idea what size/width the wheels and tires are on this go kart, and hoping you pro's can help me figure it out.

My other kart (Carter Bros 1215 live axle single seater) has 4.10/3.50-5 slicks on it, which measure about 10.75" tall and 3.5" wide, on a 5" wheel. So I know I want about 11" tall, at minimum 4" wide or a little wider, and either a 5 or 6 inch diameter wheel. I feel like the wheels and tires on the blue kart in the picture are the exact setup I want to run, but cant figure out what size tires or wheel diameter width is being used to achieve the look that I like.

anyone able to help based on just this picture?

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 111

taotao110d

SPP_MN
Reaction score
Yeah I've seen that. I just feel like the "new" american express reproduction uses bigger tires than the blue one posted since the frame is a little larger.

Kinda hoping that kart belongs to someone here. I really like the look of the front wheel/tire combo.

65ShelbyClone

Reaction score
Hey guys, Ive had this picture saved on my computer for quite a whileI feel like the wheels and tires on the blue kart in the picture are the exact setup I want to run, but cant figure out what size tires or wheel diameter width is being used to achieve the look that I like.

anyone able to help based on just this picture?

This is just an educated guess on my part, but it looks like the front rims are 6" diameter while the rears are 5". Width on the front is probably 5-6" and width on the rears look like 6-7".

Rear tire diameter is typically 11" while the fronts are 10".

anderkart

Reaction score
I agree with 65shelby, that blue kart has 6" diameter rims on the front, and 5" diameter on the back...

The rear tires on the blue kart appear to be 7.1/11.0-5 racing slicks, on 7" wide rims.

The front tires on that blue kart appear to be 11 x 5.00-6 racing slicks on 5-1/2" wide rims. That guy probably went with 6" diameter rims on the front to achieve an additional 1/2" of ground clearance, because all of the commonly available front racing slick tires for 5" diameter rims are only around 10" tall.

If you decided to use 5" diameter rims on the front of your kart, the closest (commonly available) equivalent racing slick, tire size would be 4.5/10.0-5. And you could instal those tires on 5" diameter rims that were anywhere between 4" to 6" wide. (narrower rims give the tire slightly more height, wider rims less...)

taotao110d

SPP_MN
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I did a test mock up with some old tires I had laying around, and it definitely seems like the rear needs a larger diameter tire. So 10" tall front 11" tall rear makes sense to me.

But what if I wanted to use 6" diameter wheels front and rear, and keep the 10" tall front tire and 11" tall rear tire? I'm kind of thinking I might want 6" wide wheels front and rear with something like 5" wide tires "stretched" onto 6" wide wheels on the front and 6" wide tires "square" on 6" wide wheels. Is this possible while keeping rear tires about 1" tall diameter than the front tires?

If front and rear tires are the same height or diameter, the frame will be leaning back towards the rear pretty hard. I think I could deal with the slight lean if the rear tires are about 1" taller than the fronts. But I'm. Really leaning towards 6" diameter wheels front and rear. And thinking 6" wide wheels front and rear, with 5" wide 10" tall front tires and 6" wide 11" tall rear tires would give me the "look" and tire contact I am looking for (blue AmEx kart above).
But, this is my first time messing with "race kart" tires, so I could def use some veteran help.

taotao110d

SPP_MN
Reaction score
My frame appears to be the 225-12/22 linked above with sprung front spindle and rear disc brake.
and 4.10/3.50-4 front tires and 4.10/3.50-5 rear tires which are right about 10" tall front inflated and 11" tall rear inflated. I just want 3 lug racing wheels that are wider, with wider round shoulder racing tires, while keeping the 10" tall front 11" tall rear tire diameter.

65ShelbyClone

Reaction score
You might have to go with either a 10.5/11.5 or 11/12" combo. I'm not finding any 10" tall tires for a 6" rim.

taotao110d

SPP_MN
Reaction score
Id consider that if it worked and looked about right.

Are thse tires really the height they advertise?

My only experience with go kart tires are 4.10/3.50-4, 4.10/3.50-5 and once I put some 11x4.00-5 tires on the same wheels as the 4.10/3.50-5 tires, and they were def not 11" tall. They were even smaller diameter than the 4.10/3.50-5 which are a little under 11" tall, which is making picking tire sizes even harder for me.

65ShelbyClone

Reaction score
Tire sizes aren't an exact science, even with more "serious" applications like automobiles.

I have a race kart with 10" front and 11" rear tires that I can get some measurements off of tomorrow if it will help.

taotao110d

SPP_MN
Reaction score
Any other educated guesses on the wheel/tire setup on this blue kart?
Now I'm kind of thinking about using 6" up front and 5" in the rear or maybe 5" all around instead of 6" all around. Its really hard to decide without buying a bunch to try to find the sizes I like lol

Karttekk

Reaction score
Maybe go to a kart track, a kart dealer or go look at a few near you on Craigslist to see what other karts are running, that way you can get a close up and take some measurements. Guessing what "might" be a good fit may not be the best method for resolving your issue.

Thanks

KartFab

Reaction score
Any other educated guesses on the wheel/tire setup on this blue kart?
Now I'm kind of thinking about using 6" up front and 5" in the rear or maybe 5" all around instead of 6" all around. Its really hard to decide without buying a bunch to try to find the sizes I like lol

just buy some wheels, and SEND IT!!!!!:auto::auto::auto::auto:

I happen to like my 6" rims in the front, 8" in the back with 15x6-6 front tires, turf savers, and knobby 18" rear tires, just sayin.

Some people even put 22" in the rears and it looks good.

Its all preference here, so just go with what you want, and if you dont know what you want, call up a place that sells stuff, and they would be happy to sell you what they got.

Attachments

• IMG_3120.jpg
    IMG_3120.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 2

anderkart

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I did a test mock up with some old tires I had laying around, and it definitely seems like the rear needs a larger diameter tire. So 10" tall front 11" tall rear makes sense to me.

But what if I wanted to use 6" diameter wheels front and rear, and keep the 10" tall front tire and 11" tall rear tire? I'm kind of thinking I might want 6" wide wheels front and rear with something like 5" wide tires "stretched" onto 6" wide wheels on the front and 6" wide tires "square" on 6" wide wheels. Is this possible while keeping rear tires about 1" tall diameter than the front tires?

If front and rear tires are the same height or diameter, the frame will be leaning back towards the rear pretty hard. I think I could deal with the slight lean if the rear tires are about 1" taller than the fronts. But I'm. Really leaning towards 6" diameter wheels front and rear. And thinking 6" wide wheels front and rear, with 5" wide 10" tall front tires and 6" wide 11" tall rear tires would give me the "look" and tire contact I am looking for (blue AmEx kart above).
But, this is my first time messing with "race kart" tires, so I could def use some veteran help.

None of the racekart tire companies make those exact sizes, but they come close to achieving your goal.

With 6" diameter rims, the closest size of race kart tires you'll find would be:
10.5x450-6 on the front.
11.5x600-6 on the rear.

Or with 5" diameter rims:
4.5/10.0-5 on the front.
And 6.0/11.0-5 on the rear.

You could instal either of those 450 front tires on 5-1/2" or 6" wide rims, but it's always difficult to inflate/set the bead on tires that are narrower than the rim... You could try using 1 or 2 ratcheting tiedown straps tightened around the tire to help squeeze the sidewalls outward when inflating/setting the bead. Or most all racekart shops use a tire band tool like this pic:

Attachments

• TS-6720.jpg
    TS-6720.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 0
Status
Not open for further replies.