What should I have in pedal power kart?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMCdesign

Master Apprentice
Reaction score
My teachers seemed pretty happy with my class performance and advised me to build a kart and they also said that they would support me. I have thought to build a small and light pedal car and then upgrade to electrics. They also told me to spend a lot of time at the drawing board. So my question is- What should I do to design a lightweight kart? What should be the design?

OzFab

Reaction score
the decision rests with you.

:D

To start off, you need to think ahead (obviously but, I'm talking past the electric upgrade); it's much easier to do an upgrade like that if the original design allows for it so, make provisions for everything you'll need to run electric & work backwards; if you don't intend for pedal power to be permanent, make it easy to remove the pedal mechanism after the conversion or incorporate it into the end design.

Apart from that, the most important part is finding a shape you're happy with; you'll know it when you see it...

DMCdesign

Master Apprentice
Reaction score
Got that. I am looking for the perfect gear combination. What type of gear system should it have? closed, hub or derrailieur? this frame design suits me-

trq46.jpg

danssoslow

Reaction score
It appears to be a jackshaft with two chains going to the rear wheel. Seems like a waste of parts and maybe a bit of energy loss, for no gain at all. If the axle is firmly mounted, I don't see how a single chain could cause any bias that might cuase the rear wheel to wander off its axis.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
:huh: That makes two of us...

And there's a perfectly simple explanation for that ;)

That picture doesn't make any sense :D
or it's the lousiest drawing of a gear concept I've ever seen,
missing all the gearing parts and showing just the unimportant layout info.
In that case... ask the originator of that image to explain;
or keep your eyes open for a more obvious picture.

'sid

DMCdesign

Master Apprentice
Reaction score
After a month of searching, I couldn't find a good gear layout. (I'm crashed, embarrassed, defeated and a lot of things). It seems it is time to ask for help here.

EDIT: Oh, BTW, can an exhaust fan motor even move a kart? I have one that I may use............

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
After a month of searching, I couldn't find a good gear layout. (I'm crashed, embarrassed, defeated and a lot of things). It seems it is time to ask for help here.

EDIT: Oh, BTW, can an exhaust fan motor even move a kart? I have one that I may use............

I suppose it depends on how strong the exhaust fan motor is

Oxymoron

Newbesque builder.
Reaction score
Generally, no. Exhaust fans are meant to push/pull air, with very little load. You'd want a DC motor designed to carry a load. I'd look on craigslist for used eScooters/electric wheelchairs/mini bikes, etc.. and use it as a donor for parts. Or, you can throw one of these on it.... it won't be a race kart, but it should move you along easily with the right gearing.

For gearing, have you read this?
http://www.diygokarts.com/speed-calculator.html

Oxymoron

Newbesque builder.
Reaction score
Sounds like too much trouble to me, but I have no problem watching someone else build it :p :D

Status
Not open for further replies.