What kind of welder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

the thnikkaman

Reaction score
I was looking around for a welder, and I noticed a lot of types (MIG,TIG, Oxy-acytalyne, etc.). I noticed pretty much all of you seem to use MIG welders but they are really expensive. I was leaning towards an Oxy-acytalyne because it is in my price range and It seems pretty versatile (welds, cuts, soldiers, brazes). I plan to use the welder to hopefully make a steel kart and I was just wondering if an Oxy-acyteline would get the job done. I have $200 on hand, but if you think a MIG welder is really worth it, i'm willing to save up. Thanks in advance for any replies.

mikeandike

Reaction score
if you're gonna buy a welder, mig is the eaisest to learn. ive never tried oxyacetelyne but i would get at least a stick welder because i think the oxyacetelyne needs more skill and practice

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll say this -- mig is simple as pie. you can get a non-gas equipped MIG (to be proper, when you don't use gas it's just a "wire-fed welder") for pretty cheap at home depot. dont' get an off-brand, though.

for oxy welding.... I've tried brazing with my oxy setup, and it was tough. big time tough. you'll probably spend as much learning to use it as you would just buying a wire-fed.

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
sure, you can get a "tombstone" lincoln 220 volt at home depot for around 200 bucks. It'll be more ugly than the mig, but it will be far cheaper. I spent around 700-800 gearing up my mig.

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
a mig is as simple as a hot glue gun. a stick you have to hold at the right distance. you can learn, it's not that hard.

Crabapple

Reaction score
Mig is much easier to learn than ARC

I think the difficulty goes some ting like this from easiest to hardest...

Mig
Arc
Oxy-Acyteline*
Tig*

'*' ones are interchangeable

mikeandike

Reaction score
for me (stickwelding), i tap the electrode on the metal quickly to get it started then hold it on an angle and i have never got it stuck (only when i was striking the arc have i got it stuck) If you can i would go for a mig welder but if its too expensive go for a stick welder.

Crabapple

Reaction score
If you can, put what your welding on some scrap metal, then ground teh scrap metal, so that your whole project is grounded.

Then start your arc on the scrap metal, and drag it over to the metal that you are welding on.

If you are having trouble starting the arc, then drag the stick along the scrap metal some what quickly until you get the arc. then while keeping the arc, move the stick over to where your metal is, and start welding.

Just remember to make sure that everything is grounded.

And good luck.

Also, don't go super cheap on the rods if you get a stick welder, because low quality rods will really mess up your welds, and you will get inclusions all over the weld.

In my welding class we were using really old rods, that were not well stored, and went bad. No one in The class could complete the a 'T' weld because of the bad electrodes.

Just make sure to take care of your electrodes (if your get a stick welder), and store them properly, or they may go bad.

robin

Reaction score
ive just got a arc welder ime geting better at it i have founf you can also use it to cut steel i do have troble starting the arc somtimes and i also fine that if i put the sticks in an oven for 10 mins at 150 i can weld much better with them

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
your sticks are absorbing moisture. they make moisture - proof storage things for them. probably would help.

Status
Not open for further replies.