What kind of seat belts you guys using?

Cartinfun

Reaction score
Title says it all pretty much. I was thinking about getting some four point harnesses because I plan on the kids driving it. Am I going overboard? Is a regular old lap belt enough?
Anyone require their kids to wear helmets so they don't smash their heads against the roll cage?
I used to ride four wheelers back in the day and we ALWAYS had to wear helmets. I'm a little ATGATT.

panchothedog

Reaction score
A helmet always. You can't buy your brain back for $90. Does your kart have a
roll cage? If it doesn't you want them coming out of the kart should it go over.
If it has a cage them definitively belts to keep them in the kart PROTECTED by the cage. Two of mine have 3 point belts ( lap and across one shoulder ) much like a modern car. The other two have lap and two shoulder harnesses. I feel better about the harnesses. They cost a bit more BUT.
In many trips with teenage Grandkids driving hard we have only one tipover, and it was in a kart with only the 3 point belts. Not even a scratch. But the side
of his helmet was scuffed up pretty good from hitting the dirt. Made that helmet
worth every penny.

Cartinfun

Reaction score
A helmet always. You can't buy your brain back for $90. Does your kart have a
roll cage? If it doesn't you want them coming out of the kart should it go over.
If it has a cage them definitively belts to keep them in the kart PROTECTED by the cage. Two of mine have 3 point belts ( lap and across one shoulder ) much like a modern car. The other two have lap and two shoulder harnesses. I feel better about the harnesses. They cost a bit more BUT.
In many trips with teenage Grandkids driving hard we have only one tipover, and it was in a kart with only the 3 point belts. Not even a scratch. But the side
of his helmet was scuffed up pretty good from hitting the dirt. Made that helmet
worth every penny.
Cool, that's exactly what I was thinking, especially on the helmets. Looking around on Amazon the four point harnesses are twice as much or more than normal car like three point seatbelts. But, all the four point harnesses get like 4.5 or 5 star reviews and the three point seatbelts are getting 3 stars. Thinking I will err on the side of safety and product satisfaction and get the four point (possible overkill) harnesses.

Oh, I'm working on two go karts, one has a roll cage and the other someone cut the roll cage off. They said the person who did it got tired of getting in and out through the roll cage and it was easier to step in without it. That makes no sense because they could have unbolted it. Plus, in my mind, its like buying a new car and cutting the seatbelts out as opposed to just not using them. Anyway I might have it welded back together.

panchothedog

Reaction score
That sounds crazy, cutting off the roll cage as compared to unbolting it. I have never seen one that wasn't attached with bolts. I understand why it's said that if it doesn't have a cage you don't want to be strapped in. Sure doesn't sound like fun to COME OUT of the kart while it is rolling over. Weather it's kids or grandkids, their safety is in OUR hands. Hard to justify that with saving $10 or
$20 somewhere.

Master Hack

Reaction score
Yes! Use bolts! Nails don’t work very well.
I use these from jegs. The chinese crap works ok until some dirt gets in the latch and ya cant get kid out, or it wont latch. A coupla extra bux is worth it! Yeah its over kill, but whats yer kid worth?

Last edited:

Cartinfun

Reaction score
Yes! Use bolts! Nails don’t work very well.
I use these from jegs. The chinese crap works ok until some dirt gets in the latch and ya cant get kid out, or it wont latch. A coupla extra bux is worth it! Yeah its over kill, but whats yer kid worth?
I might get this one for the kart I'm thinking about putting the 301 or 420 in. Thanks for the suggestion about Jegs.