What gauge steel for the floor pan

Status
Not open for further replies.

raposak

2012 Build-Off Winner
Reaction score
I'm at the stage of my build where I'm going to be installing the floor pan. What gauge sheet metal should i be going for? I may actually try and get some aluminum diamond plate but if I can't i'll go with straight sheet metal.

Much appreciated.

Keith

r97

Measure twice cut once
Reaction score
Look over at minibuggy.net. IIRC it is common to use .095" thick 5052 or 6061 aluminum for the floor pan.

Not sure about how thick for steel, maybe 20 or 18 GA? Keep in mind if a rock scratches the paint on a steel floor pan it will rust unlike aluminum, of course you might not care.

raposak

2012 Build-Off Winner
Reaction score
Ok thanks. I was thinking 20 GA as well. Hopefully I can find some diamond plate that doesn't cost a small fortune.

qtband

Reaction score
My steel supplier always has small pieces of diamond plate for cheap. If you can get some scrap and cut it down, that will save you some $$$. Be sure to put a lot of rivets in the floor pan or it will rattle like crazy.

Leftythenub

Computer Dork
Reaction score
Ok thanks. I was thinking 20 GA as well. Hopefully I can find some diamond plate that doesn't cost a small fortune.

20ga is really thin. I used to be in the metal locker industry and we used 20ga for the body of the locker and 16 ga for the door. The bodies got dented and mangled very easily with little effort. I wouldn't use less than 16 if it were my kart.

Grimace

Mr. Furious
Reaction score
Last time I priced aluminum diamond plate, it was pretty high. Much cheaper to go with a sheet of 18 gauge steel. Our local supplier here priced a sheet 4' by 10' for 56 bucks. It was for another project, but a smaller piece should certainly be cheaper.

r97

Measure twice cut once
Reaction score
Thing with 16ga steel is that it is going to be HEAVY. Plain aluminum sheet is ideal (IMO diamond plate is expensive, and not worth it. A little too flashy, for me at least).

Status
Not open for further replies.