welding tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrjulien1

Reaction score
i was hoping to start a thread on welding to help new welders learn a little to start them off on thier project feel free to post on any welding related topic

jrjulien1

Reaction score
mig welding

i use a mig welder for all my welding needs as it nis argueably one of the most versitile types of welders as u can weld almost all typed of metal with it so ill hive u some tips on how i do it when im welding i start off on a hight heat setting for steel and i arc the weld and pause for a second to let some metal pool up ans then i slowly start to move forward {i have the wire set on a slow speed} and push the pool of metal forward for around an inch and then i stop for a second and resume welding to help stop distortion of the metal but the most important thing about welding thin metal is that you dont burn through the metal
as this can severely weaken the metal and cause a weaker weld

hope this helps

buggyman

Reaction score
Great thread. I am a novice and my welds look pretty crappy but I just grind them down for aestetics.

Just a few tips from a novice:

If you are welding multiple pieces or one piece in many spots, begin by "tacking" the pieces. That is, spot weld in the places where you will be welding. This helps hold the pieces in the postions you want with minimal warping.

Bad looking (not structurally bad) welds can be cleaned up with a grinding wheel so that they look more pleasing to the eye.

If you are mig welding make sure your work is grounded with the grounding cable and that you have appropriate eye protection. Don't go blind being stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.