Want to buy - Manco Dingo 285

Status
Not open for further replies.

Espeefan

Reaction score
I figured I'd give this a try. I would really like to find a Manco Dingo 285 for sale, but I can't travel too far. I'm located in Wisconsin and can head a little ways into Illinois, Minnesota, and Michigan. Maybe even a little into Iowa, but if you have one for sale or are thinking about selling one, please let me know. It's kind of a long shot, but worth a try. I'd prefer it be in good working condition. If it doesn't have an engine, that would be alright, but everything must be a in good shape otherwise. Mods, I hope this post is okay. Technically not a for sale ad.

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
...I'd prefer it be in good working condition....but everything must be a in good shape otherwise....

Where's the fun in that? I buy all my stuff in junkyard condition only and prefer the previous owners all be derelict, scud-bottom vagrants. :p

Espeefan

Reaction score
LOL. My first go kart was a basket case. It's fun to bring them back to life, but I've found the better the condition they are in to begin with, the less it costs me to fix them up. Often times you can get a running kart for less then the price of all the new parts the basket cases need.

That said, my budget is flexible. It depends greatly on the condition of the kart. Let me know what you've got guys. Thanks.

Espeefan

Reaction score
Bob, thanks for the tips. That Manco Dingo on Craigslist is not a Dingo 285, which is what I'm after. I believe it's a Dingo 286 (maybe)? The Dingo 285 does not have a full roll cage. Only a hoop that runs up the back of the seat and over the engine. Just something about that chassis that I find very appealing, visually. Yes, I know I can remove the upper part of the cage on a Dingo 286, but there are minor and subtle differences between a 285 and 286, once the cage is removed.

A Honda Oddessy is a cool kart, but I'm also not a 2 stroke fan.

Attachments

• IMG_0784.JPG
    IMG_0784.JPG
    195.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0785.JPG
    IMG_0785.JPG
    216.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0786.JPG
    IMG_0786.JPG
    196.2 KB · Views: 10

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
Bob, thanks for the tips. That Manco Dingo on Craigslist is not a Dingo 285, which is what I'm after. I believe it's a Dingo 286 (maybe)? The Dingo 285 does not have a full roll cage. Only a hoop that runs up the back of the seat and over the engine. ..

Sorry, but that is incorrect!

the 285 and the 286 are identical when talking about the same year(apart from the engine)

the 285-00 to 285-04 as you said had no brushguard.
the later models (285-16 and up to 285B and following)
ALL had a brushguard (what you called roll cage.. it's not!)
and the rear bar and overhead bar redesigned (the two behind the seat)
the actual chassis is identical amongst all of them.

So if you search just 285 that does include true 285's with brush guard, like a 285-182 for example.

'sid

Espeefan

Reaction score
Awesome Sid. I appreciate the information. I was never able to find a cut and dried answer in my searches. Up until now I was just guessing.

Hellion

Reaction score
If you should lay your hands on one, a single seat Dingo of course, you should ditch the roll cage/brush guard (and any superfluous metal tubing) anyway because it's gay!

Lots of unnecessary dead weight.

I recently sold my full roll cage for my Dingo for $50!

Espeefan

Reaction score
Okay guys, so I feel a bit confused. Apologies for asking this, but is there (was there in later years) any difference in a Dingo 285 and 286 wheelbase? In one of my other threads, someone mentioned the 286 having a 6" longer wheelbase and a 40 series converter, vs. a 285.

Is a 285 Dingo large enough to fit an adult? I would probably want to throw a ten horse engine and a 40 series converter on a 285 anyway. Looking to build a faster more nibble little machine. Maybe bigger tires and a sprocket change.

My other thread that mentioned the 286 being 6" longer.
http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=37688

Hellion

Reaction score
The 285/286 Dingo is the same kart.

You don't seem to understand. Manco made all their go karts *adult sized*. They're not really "kids' toys" as some seem to think. Young adults maybe, but the whole go kart and mini bike scheme was begun by/invented by adults. They're on the small side to make them fun and nimble.

Now there is a larger frame Manco Inc. used to build the larger Dingo. This one also typically included a trailer hitch and it is easy to see it intended as ATV or a vehicle that could do double duty as a ranch or farm machine.

The model number of the larger Dingo is 390 and is usually identified by the trailer hitch, a narrow steering wheel hoop/brace, non suspended front end (no springs on the spindles) and front steering arms braced with 3-hole brackets... They often appear to have the hand brake as well.

One photo is a comparison of the larger and smaller Manco frames used for Dingoes and a few of the larger Dingo.

Attachments

• Large Dingo 4.jpg
    Large Dingo 4.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Large Dingo 3.jpg
    Large Dingo 3.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Large Dingo 2.jpg
    Large Dingo 2.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Large Dingo 1.jpg
    Large Dingo 1.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 16
  • Dingo & Am Express.jpeg
    Dingo & Am Express.jpeg
    195.5 KB · Views: 22
  • Manco-Dingo-Off-Road-Buggy-Go-Kart.jpg
    Manco-Dingo-Off-Road-Buggy-Go-Kart.jpg
    478.8 KB · Views: 18
  • Manco-Dingo-Off-Road-Buggy-Go-Kart-_57.jpg
    Manco-Dingo-Off-Road-Buggy-Go-Kart-_57.jpg
    443.8 KB · Views: 24
  • Manco-Dingo-Off-Road-Buggy-Go-Kart-_58.jpg
    Manco-Dingo-Off-Road-Buggy-Go-Kart-_58.jpg
    461.3 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Espeefan

Reaction score
Thanks again for the info and for your patience! I don't want to make anyone feel like I'm beating a dead horse. I just wanted to be sure the karts were the same size. There are some nicer examples I've seen come into the market place and one in particular is nice and clean. I'd likely go for that one over a rough one.

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
I like the look of the Dingo, just not a huge fan of the big tires' functionality in general. Makes gearing more complicated. Need jackshafts and stuff. What are they 22"??????

Anything over 16", and I'd want at least 390/420cc engine with a 40series TC anyway (on anything).

Hellion

Reaction score
I like the look of the Dingo, just not a huge fan of the big tires' functionality in general. Makes gearing more complicated. Need jackshafts and stuff. What are they 22"??????

Anything over 16", and I'd want at least 390/420cc engine with a 40series TC anyway (on anything).

I think they paired the engines rather well according to frame size. For instance:

Manco Dingo 10GL 390U "EZ RIDER 2"
Manco Dingo 12GL 392E "BANDIT 2"
Manco Dingo 6SE 286B "BANDIT 2"
Manco Dingo 5GL 285B "EZ RIDER 2"

The first number denotes engine size, so that's a 10 HP, 12, 6 and 5 HP.

The rear tires of the big ones were about 22", you're right.

These Dingo frames are more fun, IMHO, reconfigured as street or dirt track racers since they have no suspension (and need none IMO). So the large balloon tires in the rear should be tossed aside....until the snow falls...:cool:

EDIT: I modified post #14 to ID the larger Dingo as the 390 series. Thank you for your attention in this matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.