wanna use a vespa 150cc engine..can i???

Status
Not open for further replies.

f1guy_rockin

Reaction score
hey guys i hv this 150cc scooter lyin around and since the budget is real low....i wanna use tyhe entire scooter.....thinkin about directly usin all the parts like the entire gearbox and engine ........and i also wanna kno wer do i gt a simple single seater fra,me design...for free....like i said budgt is really low......and also wanna design my own exhaust coz it gives only 8hp...wanna gt it up 2 atleast 10hp

Jblankster

Reaction score
can we see pics of the engine? you can prolly use it for it :)

free frame.... look in peoples trash, free ones are hard to find. you can get a complete one for 600 from northern tool.

tylersmd1

Reaction score
hmm

i dont think youll gain 2hp from just an exhaust. i dont know much about small engines, but your gonna need more than ust an exhaust to acheive that.
maby check like junk yards, dump or sumttin like that. i found a pretty nice frame from the dump.

f1guy_rockin

Reaction score
hey guys....first of all....i live in india.....so junk yards are hard to find...meanin junk yardswhere u can find useful stuff.......second of all the engine still lurks in the scooter......its a lml vespa2 149.56cc engine producing about 8bhp at 5500rpm....aqny more details bout the engine still eludes me....i am myself tryin 2 get mo9re info about the engine.....

2or3wheels

Reaction score
Is it 2 stroke or 4? Why couldnt you just run the chain directly to the wheel your going to have on your kart or mini bike. I assume its chain or belt. 8Hp with the clutch on the vespa should be more than enough and if you put on a decient exhaust and big air cleaner you could gain 1 or 2 hp that quick and if its 2 stroke you can alwats get upgraded reeds and if it 4 stroke you can re seat the valves or rebuild the top end. There is a big difference between a rebuild engine compared to one that been well used.

tylersmd1

Reaction score
on

on my engine theres a plastic cover that covers the air filter. would it be bettter if i took this off.

Russ2251

AZUSA:Powered by LAWN-BOY
Reaction score
on my engine theres a plastic cover that covers the air filter. would it be bettter if i took this off.
Messing with original air filter is ALWAYS a bad idea. Nothing to be gained except a coked up combustion chamber, scored cylinder walls, premature valve train failure, pre-ignition, detonation (I've seen pistons turned to shrapnel because of this), stuck rings...name it. Been there, done that. Maybe worse for a 2 cycle. Why would you even consider this?

crazycart

RedNek Engineering
Reaction score
Ive run several engines with no air filter,they run fine if not better,but i recommend that you make/get a aftermarket filter,because debris can get sucked into the engine causing rings to break or chewed up pistons.

Jblankster

Reaction score
running no air filter is not recomended, but getting a high flow airfilter that will fit the carb is good.

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Why would the rings "stick" because of not running an air filter? Was it run in a sandstorm?

Russ2251

Reaction score
Why would the rings "stick" because of not running an air filter? Was it run in a sandstorm?
Need not be a "sandstorm" to cause stuck rings. Any ingested contaminants (dust) are superheated in combustion chamber and dispersed throughout engine internals. These hot and burned particles (or carbon) tend to stick to just about anything including cylinder head, piston crown and skirt, valves, ring lands and grooves, sparkplug electrodes. Engines will normally build up carbon, but if unfiltered will build up much faster.

crazycart

RedNek Engineering
Reaction score
Depends on the engine,on my go cart it it will not run an airfilter because it does not get enough air.And just like stated before,im not saying its good to run it without one,and its recommended that you get an aftermarket high flow filter.The stock air filters can be restricting robbing power.

f1guy_rockin

Reaction score
yup...its a 2 stroke engine......and yeah i wanted 2 kno shud i gt an expansion chamber or just run a straight pipe thru the exhaust port?

tylersmd1

Reaction score
this

this is wut im talking about.. look at these pics

Attachments

• jew 106.jpg
    jew 106.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 20
  • jew 107.jpg
    jew 107.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 13

Russ2251

Reaction score
yup...its a 2 stroke engine......and yeah i wanted 2 kno shud i gt an expansion chamber or just run a straight pipe thru the exhaust port?
Expansion chambers excel at increasing all around 2 cycle performance, but are not cheap. Look for a good used one if possible. Possibly off of a late model wrecked dirt bike that would be near your engine size. The next best thing for a 2 cycle engine would be a megaphone directly off the exhaust port. Be forwarned...this will sound like a chainsaw from Hell.
I hope you don't destroy scooter in process of converting this to a gokart, that is, anything you do should be reversible back to "original" condition. Getting big bucks for 2 cycle Vespa scooters in my neck of the woods. They look kind of goofy but are a ball to ride.
Vespa also had manufactured a car back around 1959 or '60. I had driven one once about 30+ years ago. Had a rear mounted air cooled 2 cylinder, 2 cycle engine with 400 cc's. Oddball looking engine compartment.

Status
Not open for further replies.