Velocity Stacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
Anyone ever made one? I'm looking to make one for my shifter, but i have no idea how to calculator the taper, length, dia, etc. I did a little searching on google and found NOTHING. I have access to a lathe and all, so i'd like to do it fairly accurately, and tune it for lower rpm.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
ha lath=a narrow thin strip of wood used as backing for plaster :roflol::roflol:

I have heard that these can be awkward to make and the machineing on the lathe sounds like it would take time. I take it that you would make from aluminum?

Typo, got it haha.

Could make something like that on the lathe in just an hour or two, depending on how long it takes to get the auto feed settings right, it should be simple if i know the right taper, just shifting a few gears to get it cutting right, maybe sharpening a cutter.

KieranM

Doin It!!
Reaction score
Theres noting like a sharp cutter on a good lathe. The one i use has one of the worst parting off tools i have ever seen and im not allowed change it. But the facing off one makes up for that, and the auto feeds are a must. i have used it and most people are like holy **** the lathe is moving by its self,

I guess in the taper side of it its really your own opion. Once its not too big/small

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
Yea, maybe ill just try one out that tapers from the size of the carb intake, to the size of my airfilter (which is too big by about 4mm). We'll see, i can also check in with our student assistant, who is a ****ing genius, he might know.

Why cant you change the tool on your lathe? that must be a pain.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
heres some info. Do a search on there theres probrobly more. You might be in over your head. I know i am just scanning over it lol
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/pors...7528-can-someone-explain-velocity-stacks.html

Read the whole thing, not insainely complicated but still no formula, just basically said, longer = low end shorter = high end. So i guess ill just make a long velocity stack, that tapers from about 1 3/4 down to whatever the mouth of the carb is.

Status
Not open for further replies.