Using Zinc coated bolts as dowels to repair cut frame?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bmr4Karts

Reaction score
I'm new to welding and was thinking of using these bolts to fix my cut frame. I'll cut the heads off and use the bolt as a dowel. I'll also cut small slits in each side of the frame tubing and weld the bolt directly to that frame.

Attached are pictures of my frame as it currently sits.

Attachments

• cut frame.jpg
    cut frame.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Cur frame 2.JPG
    Cur frame 2.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 5

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
DON'T WELD ZINC PLATED STUFF!!
Zinc fumes are highly toxic and can be fatal!
Please go to the hardware store and get some unplated stuff.

mckutzy

Reaction score
Clearly you havent welded enough galv in your life...
Galv isnt deadly to weld... its not good to weld...Hence MFF

Most welders get a bit of fumes already, those bolts are fine, they're not hot dip... that's a bigger thing as there wont be as much fumes...

If you can prep the bolts....take off as much plate as you can by mechanical or chemical means... a sandblaster or even a grinder with a wire wheel...

Having a good ventilated space is about the best place.. so outside is a good idea...

I welded a bunch of stuff galvanized. A good example.... a F-up from a customer missed the couture of the ground when sizing his new gate I built.... Boss comes back and say we need to add extentions to the bottom.... after it got to site and after galv.... All hot dip, and being the bottom of the gate... it was the heaviest deposit of the zinc... they were 20ft long and 1' extentions, both parts galv.... lots of welding... one of the only times I was aloud to take a longer break as I was the only one able to do the job...

It smokes heavily, smells, and tastes bad... drink some milk... and wear a mask with a good amount of ventilation...
But it wont kill you as you strike an arc.... only prolong exposure with out proper ventilation will..

JT- you need to stop and put down the phone/keyboard..... try researching a few things before you spout off knowing about it...

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
WHOAWHOAWHOA!
Take a lookie at what the DIY Go Karts website says in welding tips:

"Welding Zinc Plated and Galvanized Material

If you didn't already know that welding on zinc is incredibly dangerous, you do now. Breathing the vapors can make you very sick, or end your life. This doesn't mean that you can't weld the material, but it does mean that you need to be very careful."

Yes, I already knew it was possible to weld galvanized/zinc plated material, but it's a very good idea to get some unplated stuff for a beginner welder.
So give me a break. :mad:

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
yeah well..
Mac you are clearly right...

But in this case
I'm new to welding .....

I'm with JT here, in just skipping plated stuff.

Stick welders are the better tool for beginners many say for good reason,
but wire welders are more common these days I'd say.

We don't know what welder he got..
but chances are it's a cheap wire welder
(HF 90A kinda deal)
And with that outside welding is unlikely going to happen really well.

And indoor welding safety with galvanized stuff.. I mean yeah...
it's far easier to get unplated bolts, right?

Just to be on the safe side until well enough trained on the arc inducer.

'sid

supermanotorious

Winchmaster 5000
Reaction score
When I weld galv I use flux core and keep a fan on the work to expel the fumes as quickly as possible

---------- Post added at 01:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:25 PM ----------

but back on topic, rather than bolts, I'd go to your local steel supply and find some 3/4" OD tube to bridge the 2 halves of the frame

Bmr4Karts

Reaction score
When I weld galv I use flux core and keep a fan on the work to expel the fumes as quickly as possible

---------- Post added at 01:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:25 PM ----------

but back on topic, rather than bolts, I'd go to your local steel supply and find some 3/4" OD tube to bridge the 2 halves of the frame

I went with solid 3/4" rod. The tubing I had access to was too thin.

BigWes

Reaction score
I hate I missed this when it was going on live. I wouldn't get into the welding debate with different platings just know that as an aircraft mechanic I work around all sorts of different platings and I personally choose not to weld any unless it is an absolute must and then I'll be wearing a breathing apparatus specific to what I'm working with.

On welding certain materials...be aware that bolts are hardened for certain strengths. All bets are off when you heat things up with a welder. Some people don't care what they use for a filler metal. I'd rather use a piece of generic welding steel. I know I'm gonna basically gonna end up with the same thing I started out with. I know bolts. I know they do weird stuff once they get hot. I don't trust them at that point. Anyway, call it a biased opinion if you want. Laugh and carry on if you think I am being stupid. Have fun, be safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.