[Updated 12/27/2020] Milwaukee M18 and an converted alternator

Reaction score
I'm working on my first build. I have an alternator from an old Dodge or Chrysler, I'm not sure (I got it for free from a friend) that was converted to run as a DC brushless motor. I have a hall effect throttle, 3x Milwaukee M18 batteries for 54V nominal, and a buck converter for the commutator.

[Update 12/27/2020]
So after that test, I've started some body work, but I've gotten the electronics figured out. Here's what I've got:

Last edited:

EpsilonZero

...still cheaper than a boat!
Reaction score
Did you get the go-kart part yet? I'm sure we all want to see what this motor conversion can do.

Reaction score
I keep an eye out on case I see one for a good price, but what I have right now is a complete front end and rear end of a kid's ATV. If I don't find a good pre-built I'll build the main body and weld on the pieces I have.

ShadowNightmares

Reaction score
Hey, nice to meet someone else that will use a converted alternator.
I would sincerely recommend you to check out these videos and think about installing hall sensors on your alternator
(from YT/Enrengineering)
(from YT/Electrojuanyu)
(from YT/Austiwawa)
Sensored BLDC motors can offer more torque at low speeds, and will help to avoid "cogging" while it tries to synchronize.

Reaction score
I'm very strongly considering that now. It looks simple and easy enough, and I actually have hall sensors laying around from a 5-pack I bought so I could measure its RPM. The only thing is that mine aren't latching, so I'm not sure if they'll work. I'll have to do a little more research.