Update on the shifter kart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hybrid

Reaction score
Don't know how I would feel about having a home made gas tank underneath my legs while flying around, got forbid you ever hit a rock and you blow your legs off after topping off! better put a guard underneath it.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
If it's like my twin then there shouldn't be any pulses from the crank case, one piston goes up while the other goes down. Some engines have both movie in sync, tho.

I'd check to make absolutely sure it's past the butterfly, because if it's not then you won't get any vacuum or pulses and it won't work.
Usually those pumps are great, but you have to prime them with fuel (AFAIK).

Yea mine has both pistons going up at the same time, cam timing is only difference between cylinders.

tyler, where do you get your pulse from? intake or crank?

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
Aslong as its between the intake valve and the carb butterfly your fine.

Well, she still aint pumpin...im making a new intake, and going with a single mikuni roundslide, hopefully this week, so i'll tap that for the pulse line when i do and see what happens.

If not ill have to wait on an electric fuel pump, preferably a low pressure one.

SpyGuy

Hooligan
Reaction score
Hey, Kappy ........ here's a thought. You could be creating vaccuum in the tank, and it's not sucking any fuel through the lines. Sometimes my pb's will do that, and will starve the engine out.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
The tank has a pretty good size vent, shouldn't be creating vacuum. Couldnt say for sure though.

I made my flange for my new intake manifold today, made the program on surfcam, cut it out on the CNC mill. Came out very nice, intake will be aluminum. Also finished cleaning my 34mm mikuni roundslide, got two of them off a friend for $10, one is shot (stripped pilot jet), both were really dirt, but this ones as good as new now.

newrider3

Reaction score
I'm still jealous of how well equipped your school is. All we have is a manual vertical mill with 10 year old shavings embedded in the knee. (no one had used it forever until a friend and I dug out a bit this year)

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
I'm still jealous of how well equipped your school is. All we have is a manual vertical mill with 10 year old shavings embedded in the knee. (no one had used it forever until a friend and I dug out a bit this year)

Yea, i'd say we are pretty fortunate. Even more fortunate is that im in a class full of lazy stoners, or just plain dumb people, so im basically the only one who ever uses the lathe or mill.

SpyGuy

Hooligan
Reaction score
Man, that's nice ..... good work on that.

If those other guys are too stupid or too stoned to do anything, guess that means you pretty much have free run of all the machinery. I know what that's like, being in a woodshop full of dopeheads (and I'm not just saying that about the ones smoking it, either).

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
Yea, i get a pretty free run of the shop, which is REALLY nice.

Just about finished the intake, im a pretty bad tig welder, but there solid. i think i'll do some radiator hose to mate it to the carb for now. Weather is pretty ****ty and i have no shop room so thats about it for a few days at least. Monday/tuesday i should be heading to mass to fix some stuff on my dads farm, and i'll be raiding a few cars for parts, hopefully i'll be able to find a few good master cylinders, starter motors (for reverse maybe?), some brake line, e-brake cable, and most likely more.

Cam

Nz Petrolhead
Reaction score
Hey the project looks awesome, have you got the fuel problem fixed? i was going through the posts and not one single person put down this idea,

Use a car fuel pump with a return line feeding back to the tank, so it doesn't flood?

Like a 3 way t joiner before the carburetor or something, make it so the t joiner is flow through, with the return off the side if you can understand that.
Advantages would be when it sucked for gas it would have a constant pumping supply, just make sure the tank has a good breather.

Hope that helps.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
Hey the project looks awesome, have you got the fuel problem fixed? i was going through the posts and not one single person put down this idea,

Use a car fuel pump with a return line feeding back to the tank, so it doesn't flood?

Like a 3 way t joiner before the carburetor or something, make it so the t joiner is flow through, with the return off the side if you can understand that.
Advantages would be when it sucked for gas it would have a constant pumping supply, just make sure the tank has a good breather.

Hope that helps.

Yea, i've thought about that, but i imagine i would have to remove the needle and floats for it to work properly, and that could complicate things. I may try my pulse pump again, when i tried it with dual carbs, it failed, but now with pulses from intake on both cylinders i think it may work better.

I also have one of those cam driven fuel pumps, but i have no effective way of hooking it up, running it off the axle would be a failure if i had to stop for more than a minute or two...i suppose i could run it off a small electric motor.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
Why would you have to remove the needle and float?

Have you tried using smaller line?

Cheers.

I was thinking the needle and float might add enough resistance to push nearly all the fuel back down the return line, never tried it tho so thats just me assuming.

Smaller line for what? the pulse pump what just not getting a strong enough pulse to pump anything, not sure why, i'll probably try it with the new carb setup today and see how it works.

Cam

Nz Petrolhead
Reaction score
I just thought that smaller line can make for better velocity, im not going to put a bet on it was just an idea,

when you syfin liquid if the pipe is too big its hard to start? and smaller pipe seems to work better? anyway... just an idea..

A car fuel pump is running between 7-10 psi it will have enough pressure, when the float is down the needle is usually open and when it fills up and the float rises it cuts off supply, correct? If not 7-10 psi will easily push fuel into the fuel bowl, and when it fills up the excess fuel will flow back down to the tank, hey its simple, cheap and worth a try i reckon!

Hope it helps, cam.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
I just thought that smaller line can make for better velocity, im not going to put a bet on it was just an idea,

when you syfin liquid if the pipe is too big its hard to start? and smaller pipe seems to work better? anyway... just an idea..

A car fuel pump is running between 7-10 psi it will have enough pressure, when the float is down the needle is usually open and when it fills up and the float rises it cuts off supply, correct? If not 7-10 psi will easily push fuel into the fuel bowl, and when it fills up the excess fuel will flow back down to the tank, hey its simple, cheap and worth a try i reckon!

Hope it helps, cam.

Hell, if an automotive fuel pump is less than 10 psi, i might not even need a return line, mikuni offers a variety of different float/needle setups for use with gravity feed, and different fuel pumps.

I'll figure something out when the time comes. lately i've just been working on some little stuff; modifying a car starter to use as reverse, minor carb tuning. I also bought a ds80 project for $20, so i've been working on that too.

Cam

Nz Petrolhead
Reaction score
Starter motor for reverse, using a flywheel/flex plate on the back axle then?

We had a mazda ute fuel pump running 8 psi to our mitsi van, it pushed so much fuel into the carb, that it made the cylinders oval - i just replaced the motor.

Most car motors have a push-rod diaphragm pump on the head, they do about 4 psi but hey if you can get a kit for your carb its all good then!

Cheers, Cam.

Status
Not open for further replies.