Ungoverned Predator 212cc doesn't go faster

Jaylon

Reaction score
Greetings!

I've got a Coleman CT200U Adult Mini bike and I have removed the governor completely from the engine and it's speed hasn't increased at all. I believe I did everything correctly, I'm getting top speed of 20mph from before I removed the governor and top speed of 20mph after I removed the governor. Does anybody know a reason why this could happen? I don't know if you'll need pictures of the bike but I've attached some below

Attachments

• PXL_20220413_234954642.jpg
    PXL_20220413_234954642.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 18
  • PXL_20220413_235006866.jpg
    PXL_20220413_235006866.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 19

Jaylon

Reaction score
Did you open up the engine? Is the carburetor opening up all the way? What is the gear ratio? Drive system?
Yes I opened the engine to remove the governor. I belive the carburetor is opening up all the way but I will look into that soon. Also I don't know how to check the gear ratio and I don't know what you mean by the drive system

Budget GoKart

Aka a kenbar
Reaction score
also if everything is properly done it might just have a throttle screw restricting it but i think it could be jetting, but i think your throttle linkage isnt right i dont think your getting full throttle

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
S-crook in throttle rod between throttle hand lever and carb looks a little janky, kinda "lazy S", could be affecting how far the throttle opens up. Does look like the throttle limiting screw is sufficiently backed out so as not to prevent movement. If it's getting opened up all the way, then you definitely should put in a bigger main jet, might as well increase low jet at the same time.
By the way, where's your throttle return spring? Please don't say it's only on the gas pedal, you need one at both ends of the cable.
Count the number of teeth on your axle sprocket and your CVT's output sprocket, that's the gear ratio, like maybe 60:12 (shorter way to say it is 5:1) in your driveline (which goes from the motor output shaft through the driver clutch, the belt, the driven clutch, the CVT output sprocket, the chain, through the axle sprocket).
Now about that CVT belt slipping in the pulleys................Go Kart Belts | Comet Torque Converter Belts | Go Kart Drive Belts (gokartsupply.com)

Jaylon

Reaction score
S-crook in throttle rod between throttle hand lever and carb looks a little janky, kinda "lazy S", could be affecting how far the throttle opens up. Does look like the throttle limiting screw is sufficiently backed out so as not to prevent movement. If it's getting opened up all the way, then you definitely should put in a bigger main jet, might as well increase low jet at the same time.
By the way, where's your throttle return spring? Please don't say it's only on the gas pedal, you need one at both ends of the cable.
Count the number of teeth on your axle sprocket and your CVT's output sprocket, that's the gear ratio, like maybe 60:12 (shorter way to say it is 5:1) in your driveline (which goes from the motor output shaft through the driver clutch, the belt, the driven clutch, the CVT output sprocket, the chain, through the axle sprocket).
Now about that CVT belt slipping in the pulleys................Go Kart Belts | Comet Torque Converter Belts | Go Kart Drive Belts (gokartsupply.com)
I appreciate the help. I'm going to look into all of this. The throttle does return just fine by the way so I'm not sure if adding a thorttle return spring would fix my speed problem. I also looked into it, me and my buddy did install a bigger carb jet a while back, I couldn't tell you the size but I believe we took it off an engine that had a stage 2 kit. Me and my buddy took a look and the throttle is opening all the way up when we pull the throttle lever.

Last edited:

Jaylon

Reaction score
also if everything is properly done it might just have a throttle screw restricting it but i think it could be jetting, but i think your throttle linkage isnt right i dont think your getting full throttle
The throttle screw is open as much as we can without it reasonably coming off, and the throttle opens fully. Maybe I'll look into getting a new jet or something.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
throttle is opening all the way up when we pull the throttle lever.
You don't pull the lever to make it go, you press the gas pedal. You have indeed eliminated a blockage to opening the throttle as being a problem at the engine, what about between there and your right foot?
Fits ALL160 / 212 cc , Clone Engines Race Filter Kit w/ Custom Jets | eBay
Know how to drop the carb bowl, reach up in there with a flathead screwdriver, change the jet? Put equalizer tube back in right side up, doesn't mean it came out that way, may be upside down right now. Also, proper venturi type filter adapter included in above kit, if yours has a flat face then it's wrong, use new one. Non-mangled filter speaks for itself.

Willie1

Reaction score
You don't pull the lever to make it go, you press the gas pedal. You have indeed eliminated a blockage to opening the throttle as being a problem at the engine, what about between there and your right foot?
Please explain where the gas pedal is on a MINI BIKE? :unsure: :sneaky: Yeah, probably nit-picking - all in good fun.
Anybody going to suggest removing the obviously damaged air filter, and see if that was the restriction? - sometimes when air filters get wet, they are done. I can actually see dirt built up between the air filter pleats.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Please explain where the gas pedal is on a MINI BIKE? :unsure: :sneaky: Yeah, probably nit-picking - all in good fun.
Anybody going to suggest removing the obviously damaged air filter, and see if that was the restriction? - sometimes when air filters get wet, they are done. I can actually see dirt built up between the air filter pleats.
If we have to explain to you where the gas pedal is on a mini-bike, you wouldn’t understand anyway. :stir::smiley_omg::roflol:
Just kidding! Good catch on the air filter though. But that filter is not paper. It is a cotton polyester fiber blend with oil on it. Like a generic K&N. Excellent at letting fine dust through to the engine a wrecking them!

Willie1

Reaction score
If we have to explain to you where the gas pedal is on a mini-bike, you wouldn’t understand anyway. :stir::smiley_omg::roflol:
Just kidding! Good catch on the air filter though. But that filter is not paper. It is a cotton polyester fiber blend with oil on it. Like a generic K&N. Excellent at letting fine dust through to the engine a wrecking them!
It's an easy check that is free, and sometimes we can overlook the easy stuff. I zoomed in on it and could actually see dirt/mud caked in the pleats. And that was on the back side of the filter - hard to say what the front or bottom looks like.
He didn't really give any history of the brand or model of the engine. Slim chance it has a 4K governed coil in it that it's hitting a rev limiter and that could also explain the speed plateau.

Sometimes it's the easy stuff we overlook or stumps us. A friend had a recurring no crank issue with her rider mower. She'd hop on it inside the garage and it wouldn't crank, so she'd push it outside and call me. A couple hrs later I went over, hopped on the mower, and it fired right up. I serviced the connectors and left. Next week - same thing. A little deeper testing. But wait - it get's better. Next mow - no start. She pushes it outside - an hour later I get a call it started up while outside. I told her the next time she went to mow - call me and I would watch her try to start it. Her - no start. Me - fired right up. I figured out that inside the garage the seat foam was cold and too firm for her cute 95lb butt to compress the seat and trigger the seat switch - a problem my 337lb gravy-and-biscuits butt didn't have. Apparently when she rolled it outside - the sun warmed the seat, softened the foam, and her weight could trip the switch. Annoying problem to diagnose, but I did get a delicious pecan pie out of the deal. :cool:

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
................honestly, my mind went blank and I drooled a little as soon as I got to the part about pecan pie. For a Southern boy, it's odd that I don't know anybody that can make it like Grandma did.

Willie1

Reaction score
................honestly, my mind went blank and I drooled a little as soon as I got to the part about pecan pie. For a Southern boy, it's odd that I don't know anybody that can make it like Grandma did.
My Mom grew up in rural West Virginia and was an excellent cook. Her brother was a very good hunter, and if it had fur, feet, or feathers it got eaten. SHe was the only one who could cook rhubarb pie - without loading it with strawberries, cherries, peaches, etc. - that I considered edible. It was always funny that when she'd share her recipes, people would always say that theirs didn't taste quite as well as hers. Probably didn't - she never shared the same recipe as she cooked for us. LOL

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
My buddy’s mom who just passed away was from Franklin Tennessee. Since I was about 8 I wanted to marry her. She is one of the best cooks next to my grandmother and my ex wife’s grandmother. His dad did not think I was funny when I’d ask her to marry me though. She could put dog poop on a hamburger bun and you’d swear it was the best you ever had!!!

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Y'all done made me stuck on ribnut pie. Can't duplicate Miss Leela's sweet pecan pie, but should point out for posterity that hers never had a hard baked-solid layer of pecans laid out on top. Most pecans all broken up and thoroughly mixed into the soft and mega-sweet filling, top edges of crust not burnt............... R.I.P. Miss Leela, but the Lord probably won't assign you that, will likely keep you busy making pie.
This is the simplest right-off-the-search-engine that best represents the bare simplicity of her pie.................
Pecan Pie - Recipe | Cooks.com