• OFF TOPIC fun forum - NO politics - NO religion - NO jerks. It's not complicated. Thanks!

Toying with an idea for 2020 build off

Smerft85

Reaction score
I've got a crazy idea, and maybe someone should talk me out of it. I'm sure most know the scrap rod I did for 2019, and I'm wanting to build a rat/chopper dirt trike to kinda pair to the scrap rod. That's not the part I may need talked out of.

I have a nearly complete 93 suzuki vs800 v-twin parts bike to fix up my 98, and i have no real need for the engine. I do like the idea of a true v-twin to give it a classic chopper look, but had something like a Lifan 125 or 250 v-twin in mind. I know the reliability of the suzuki personally, never even seen the Lifan engines in person.

Should I go crazy and run the 800cc? It's a shaft drive and other than making it fit in a glorified mini bike, making the shaft drive control two wheels instead of just one should be the biggest task involved.

Smerft85

Reaction score
I've got a Springer front end, 21" front wheel with disk brake and mechanical speedometer, along with the steering tube from the frame. I'd probably find a dirt bike tire to fit the wheel, but that front end has been lingering in my mind too. Also have a bobber style spring seat that's never been sat upon that's likely to find it's way into the build.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
tbh.. if you got a Suzuki V-Twin.. laying around,
I cannot see why you would want to buy a cheap chinese V Twin instead?

No need to tell you what kind of engine the Suzuki is, obviously...
and while I agree that you might have a bit too much power for a backyard fun trike,
and also a bit of a size and weight dilemma that's going along with it....
as with all Suzuki bikes I've ever touched..
you can ride it as tame as a 125cc scooter if you want..

If you were to sell the enigne, and instead buy a chinese 250 or so..
what amount of money would you actually loose?
how much power would you loose and how much torque and reliability..
and ease of finding spare parts for maintenance and repair.. and (should I continue with that list?)

So the only thing that speaks against it is size (dimension and weight) really.
if you care enough about that to NOT use the Suzuki is up to you to decide only.

Btw...I recently saw the 125cc V Twin Hyosung Aquila in person
(125cc are getting a bit of a thing around here currently)
and it's not exactly a pocket bike size engine either...
I think they made it look huge to convey the big bike look a bit better
to me that doesn't look smaller than say a virago 535 really (without seeing them side by side that is)

'sid

Smerft85

Reaction score
Thank you sid, I was hoping for your input. Without seeing the Chinese twin in person I had no idea they are still pretty bulky so I was really only thinking the little guys because they look smaller in pictures, good to know they arent.

You are absolutely right, if I already have to over-size things I might as well make it rotten with the 800 and have something that might make me less afraid of the scrap rod. I haven't heard the 800 run yet, the wiring was butchered on the bike. With as few miles as the bikes O.D. claimed are on the bike I'm sure it will run, hopefully without much more than carb rebuild or replacement on both of them.

I guess the remaining question, would it qualify for the build off since I'm using a lot of street bike parts but trying to scale down in size? Frame, rear end and several other parts would require fabrication, I've never seen a trike vs800 so it would likely be a one of a kind.

Smerft85

Reaction score
I agree and go with a 1976 big wheel look....so when your sitting on it, size wise you look to be a scrawny little 7 year old :wai:

That is right along the lines I was thinking, worlds heaviest bigwheel! I'm at 6' so I'd have to make it pretty beefy to look like a kid on it, but I bet the neighbors would just love me with that 800 twin roaring. They already hate when I get the bike out, but at least I'm not working graves anymore, 3 a.m. on a straight piped bike didn't make any friends for me.

Smerft85

Reaction score
20200307_185331.jpg

Maybe this would be more fitting, build my own mini springer, I'd have to do a custom header, probably a Jack shaft and I could still save all the parts for my bike.

That frame if any one is wondering is from a "safety first" brand chopper powerwheels type toy, I was shocked to see a steel chopper based frame under all that plastic!

Kartorbust

Reaction score
Greg from RBG did a rat trike recently, but I'm not a huge fan of how much rake he did for the forks. It kind of cool, but seemed kind of out of place. A shaft drive trike would cool, not sure where one would source a differential for it (automotive maybe???). Something off road would be insane, like a huge version of the Dune Cycle. You'll never be short on power, that's for sure.

Joe-405

Enjoying New Projects
Reaction score
I built a big wheel look a like here for a build off with a kz750 twin. It was fun. But make sure your rake is right or else it will be hard to turn or will have a death wobble.

It was the “insani-t” thread under build logs.

Smerft85

Reaction score
I built a big wheel look a like here for a build off with a kz750 twin. It was fun. But make sure your rake is right or else it will be hard to turn or will have a death wobble.

It was the “insani-t” thread under build logs.

Pretty similar idea from a basic standpoint, I want to do a bobber/chopper trike, so with the rake it may not turn worth a turd, but it's just for cruising back and forth to a buddies house down the road, scrap rod doesn't turn well either so they should be a match made in heaven. That trike of yours looks like a blast!