Tomberlin Crossfire 150R

DaVinci

Reaction score
I picked this up last weekend for my son and I to mess around on and to give us a project to do together. He has been wanting a go kart for awhile now and i was actually surprised how big it is and it runs pretty well, but does sputter a bit at full throttle. I've never really heard of the company, but was wonder if there is any performance upgrades for these or things I could do, add or change to get more power out of it ? Any info would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance, B

image0 (17).jpeg

panchothedog

Reaction score
I have a Tomberlin Firefox 620. I believe mine is over than yours, and come with a more conventional style engine. The engine was made by Mitsubishi and somewhat resembled a predator or Honda clone. I threw the engine away and put a predator on it. The brand never was very popular but ours seems very well made and the front end seems quite robust. Is your engine a GY 6 style?
That is a lay down style, more like a small motorcycle engine as compared to a
stand up predator style or what I call a conventional engine. If you are not sure
a picture of the back of the kart would help.

DaVinci

Reaction score
Yeah, I believe its the lay down style. Could it still be swapped out for a more conventional stand up engine? I've owned quite a few four wheelers, dirt bikes and so on, but yeah, this setup is new to me for sure haha

image0 (9).png

panchothedog

Reaction score
Still not a good clear shot of the engine, but from what I can see, and your remarks it probably is. That type of engine ( of which I know very little about )
is called a GY 6. I know that they have a bit of a following and there might be
some performance parts available. Probably not to the extent of the predator engines. But I don't know that for sure. If you were to Google GY 6 go kart engines I'm sure you would get some leads. It certainly could be converted to a
conventional style engine. It would involve some cutting and then welding in a mounting plate.

panchothedog

Reaction score
Don't know what happened, my tablet froze up. Then you still need to go out and buy a engine and torque converter. The fact that your kart is currently running it makes a hard argument for not doing the conversion. Many of the karts of your style have electrical problems and don't run. You should do a little research and see what find out about your engine. Hopefully someone who is more knowledgeable on that style engine will chime in. There are many on here.

DaVinci

Reaction score
I had some time to mess with it today and get a few more pics. Looks like its a 2008. image3 (1).jpeg

Attachments

• image5.jpeg
    image5.jpeg
    86.3 KB · Views: 10
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    74.5 KB · Views: 10

DaVinci

Reaction score
I don't even see a spark plug lol I noticed one of the front lights are out, hopefully it just needs a bulb. Def an odd engine setup....

panchothedog

Reaction score
In your 3rd picture I can see the plug wire sandwiched up against the back of the seat.

Karttekk

Reaction score
I sold a buggy with a GY6 engine to a local guy, he called & said it was fine until he tried climbing a hill. I changed the axle sprocket to a 39 tooth and modified the chain to fit, he was okay afterward.

Karttekk

Reaction score

panchothedog

Reaction score
DaVinci , Karttekk knows a lot about the engine that is in your kart. You should respond to him if you want to try to improve the performance of your kart.

DaVinci

Reaction score
If these buggies are dialed in right, they can see up to 50 MPH. Make sure the seat belts are up to snuff, those machines fly.
Sorry for such a long delay. Just had it out today, I noticed that the right side front and rear tires were flat, but filled them up and were fine all day. Probably a slow leak and I'm guessing they are the original tires. I'll def check out them videos ! Other then that, it fired right up, but starts to spit and spudder once you go past half throttle or so. Not sure if that would be a governor or just not getting enough fuel. Thanks so much for the info!!

Karttekk

Reaction score
I don't think the governor would make it pop back like that. Sounds like a lean fuel condition or a fouled plug letting unburned fuel hit the exhaust system and burn there. Change the plug, change the fuel filter and adjust the valves to start. Check the coil boot for cracks. These cheap carbs are good to have around as spares or test carbs. Make sure there's no water in the fuel.

DaVinci

Reaction score
I don't think the governor would make it pop back like that. Sounds like a lean fuel condition or a fouled plug letting unburned fuel hit the exhaust system and burn there. Change the plug, change the fuel filter and adjust the valves to start. Check the coil boot for cracks. These cheap carbs are good to have around as spares or test carbs. Make sure there's no water in the fuel.

Thanks so much for all your help! I have time this weekend to mess with it a bit.

DaVinci

Reaction score
I replaced the spark plug, but it only made a slight difference and its still bogging down once I go past half throttle or so. I ordered a new fuel filter & Air filter, basically the same thing as the one you linked to above. I didn't realize that one you linked, also came with a 128 main jet, so I'm going to have to order set of them separately. With there being a slow leak in one of the rear and one of the front tires, I'm just going to have to get a new set of tires for it as well. Should I just stick with the stock size tires that are on it now? Or could I go a size or so smaller on the rear? The parts are supposed to be here on Friday, so I'll see if replacing the filters and cleaning the carb does the trick. Thanks, B

panchothedog

Reaction score
From your picture of the kart it looks like your tires still have a lot of rubber on
them. You can put a new inner tube in them for about 1/3 the price of a new tire. It will hold air just fine. I have done this with almost questionable tires and
no problems with a lot of use on them.