Toggle switch help?

Reaction score
I’m wanting to wire up a toggle switch, but I’m not 100% how it works, do I connect the switch independently to the battery and then wire it into what I’m using it for, or do I just wire it directly into what I’m using it for? (Ignition switch) the ignition wires aren’t grounding red/black like they should and I can’t get power at all unless I manually touch the red and black wires together, would like to do a toggle switch instead to make it easier

TNThomas

Reaction score
Im no pro, but eseentially a toggle switch (or any switch) simply opens and closes your circuit. Basically like wires touch, or they dont. Aka current can flow, or not. It depends on what your doing, but most likely you want it "in-line" switch. Basically you are letting current flow, or not when you flip it. Dont 100% trust wire colors, electricity doesnt care about what color wire its flowing down. Consider wiring in a fuse holder as well. That way you don't fry electronics if something gets overloaded.

Plenty of info online, but two good trains of thought are to think of electricity like water, it needs to flow somewhere. It will find the bath of least resistance (most easily conductice to electricity). Also, be sure to cover any exposed metal on any connections with heat shrink/electrical tape(heatvshrink is better). Exposed wire conbections floppinh around is what shorts you connection, and can blow you fuse.

Im a beginner at electrical, but a few cheap hand tools can be had for less than 10$ per at HF

Last tool is for stripping your sheathing off of wire, and for crimping your connection fittings on.

TNThomas

Reaction score
I mainly use my multi meter to identify positive and negative wires, along with voltage. Super helpful as ypu can see how many volts your batter has, and if its charging.

Reaction score
I appreciate you bro, I’m probably gonna invest in that multimeter, I bought one last week but it’s all digital and difficult for no reason. Also the stripper I completely forgot existed and definitely will be getting lol I’ve been using a small knife inside of a multi tool and it’s been aggravating at best. I’ve just gotta figure out how to wire it up so I’m not messing up anything else in the process, apparently it’s a simple concept but me being me nothing can just be easy

TNThomas

Reaction score
I appreciate you bro, I’m probably gonna invest in that multimeter, I bought one last week but it’s all digital and difficult for no reason. Also the stripper I completely forgot existed and definitely will be getting lol I’ve been using a small knife inside of a multi tool and it’s been aggravating at best. I’ve just gotta figure out how to wire it up so I’m not messing up anything else in the process, apparently it’s a simple concept but me being me nothing can just be easy
Yea, knives can work, its just a little neater with the stripper, and less likelt to cut wires.
No worries! Those digital multi-meters definitely have some important uses, but they are beyond what I have needed so far for fixing cars/doing home remodels. Just set your center dial to the top left at the "20" mark, and you will be good to go for automotive work. I forget what all the other ones are, and I read somewhere to put it on the 20, and that works for me. I believe its just adjusting the sensitivity so you don't fry the internals.

From my understanding, you can think of an electrical system like a big circuit/circle/route. You can add new electrical devices to that route via tieing into the wiring. You need to make sure you are using the correct voltage for whatever device/crap you are adding. Aka 110v vs 220v (house), 6v (old motorcycles), 12v most cars, and 24v (some military/aircraft). Kill the power, cut your line, strip your wires of your circuit, strip your wires for whatever you are adding, and connect the positive side to the positive line, and negative to the negative (hence the multimeter). Make sure you don't have any "naked" metal as electricity can jump from there to other objects (hence short circuit/ground fault arc (GFCI)). It depends on what you are wiring in, but often times your colors/polarity don't matter for what you are adding. Light bulbs for example will light up regardless of what direction their current is running as they simply heat up a little electrode that gets bright, super simpel. But some mechanical tools/devices need to be wired in a specific direction so that the current rotates/operates a device in a specific direction. This is the case if you turn something on, and it runs directly opposite to what you want. But you can also fry some items if you hook them up backwards (ask how I know), hence the need for fuses as a fail-safe (also ask how I know, haha). Regardless, the wire in your circuit is what actually has electricity flowing through it. More wire, less electricity per unity of wire, this can be problematic if you have super long stands of wire in a circuit (super long extension cords on a small generator for example). Current flows through the wire, and whatever device you have simply changes some of that electrical energy to either mechanical energy, potential energy, electromagnetic (aka light), or others. What is left simply flows back into the line, and back into the circuit. You can see this if you mess around with a volt meter. Put your positive and negative on your car battery while its off. Have a friend start the car. While the alternator is running, your voltage will drop drastically.

You should check out "Electrical T-connections", those are cool fittings (I just found out about them), as they create a branch off of your main line. If your electrical component fails, your main line is still good as its still connected to the main circuit, aka the electricity, can still "flow". But, if you wire everything up "in-line" If something fails, everything else after it won't operate as the electricity can flow through whatever device you have connected. This sometimes happens in houses. If a wall outlet dies/something internal gets fried, everything after it on its branch, won't work. Find the broken item closest to your main circuit/run, swap it out, and everything else after it will work. Now that I am thinking about it, whatever lights you are running should "T" off of whatever line you are tieing into. Your switch is just opening and closing the connections of the device you are running. It should go: Main power wires from your cart, Fuse, Switch, Lights/electrical device. You could just run a line off of the battery as well. Downside of tieing into too small of a line is that you might need a bigger current to supply your device than whatever line you are tieing into. In that case you could run a line off of your battery. In a house this is the same as having a dedicated circuit for different areas of your house.

Last edited:

Thepartsguy

Reaction score
Toggle switches for cavemen... take a battery out of your tv remote. Now the red wire gets touched to the - end of the battery. the green wire gets touched to the + of the battery. The motor will run clockwise. reverse polarity touching the red to + and the green to - and the motor will run counter clockwise. it does not care about reverse polarity. now both wires are touching the battery and the motor is running. Cut the green wire in the middle. The motor stops. the Switch gets wired into the cut wire. the motor is not running? Flip the switch.

Attachments

• 92AD7B9A-A9F4-4D38-91EB-0FCF1A4F5519.jpeg
    92AD7B9A-A9F4-4D38-91EB-0FCF1A4F5519.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
Reaction score
Toggle switches for cavemen... take a battery out of your tv remote. Now the red wire gets touched to the - end of the battery. the green wire gets touched to the + of the battery. The motor will run clockwise. reverse polarity touching the red to + and the green to - and the motor will run counter clockwise. it does not care about reverse polarity. now both wires are touching the battery and the motor is running. Cut the green wire in the middle. The motor stops. the Switch gets wired into the cut wire. the motor is not running? Flip the switch.
And is the wiring important or can I get any copper wire and tie it in? As in I don’t need to find wire specifically for “+” or “-“ do I? Cause I’m gonna need a little more

Thepartsguy

Reaction score
And is the wiring important or can I get any copper wire and tie it in? As in I don’t need to find wire specifically for “+” or “-“ do I? Cause I’m gonna need a little more
I wired up the cj with all red and just about any but connector I could find laying around in the shed. I wouldn’t put to much thought into it.
D8745252-5F2E-408A-8733-8C7F0142628D.jpeg71CFB0EC-5F82-4730-BEE9-A685FA5CCB97.jpeg

Thepartsguy

Reaction score
Everything I can think of that is 12v auto related is motors. just a switch powering a 12v motor for windshield wipers. 12v motor on a switch rolls the windows down. 12v motor on a switch starts your car. Hot and ground. The old explorer had a patts security system. The ignition switch went bad. We hooked a wire from battery positive to the same post the ignition switch powered with the ignition switch wire. Then flipped the switch to run the starter with the key in the on position. we also had to turn on the fuel pump switch or it wouldn’t start. The fuel pump switch was the dome light switch.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Everything I can think of that is 12v auto related is motors. just a switch powering a 12v motor for windshield wipers. 12v motor on a switch rolls the windows down. 12v motor on a switch starts your car. Hot and ground. The old explorer had a patts security system. The ignition switch went bad. We hooked a wire from battery positive to the same post the ignition switch powered with the ignition switch wire. Then flipped the switch to run the starter with the key in the on position. we also had to turn on the fuel pump switch or it wouldn’t start. The fuel pump switch was the dome light switch.
Okay so run it independently from the battery to the ignition wires? I’ve just heard that you can mess up the electrical system if you start just touching wires together and if it’s this hard to get power to the lights and electric start I can’t imagine messing it up more lmao

Thepartsguy

Reaction score
Okay so run it independently from the battery to the ignition wires? I’ve just heard that you can mess up the electrical system if you start just touching wires together and if it’s this hard to get power to the lights and electric start I can’t imagine messing it up more lmao
Do not touch any wires or do anything yet I’m still not sure of what you have or your trying to do. You don’t need a switch to power an ignition switch. The ignition switch will have a dedicated labeled prong for constant battery power. You can turn a starter motor over easy with a switch. A toggle switch or even cooler dash mounted push button is common in cars. It’s only 12v signal to the solenoid to dump power to the starter. what exactly do you need to power?

Reaction score
Do not touch any wires or do anything yet I’m still not sure of what you have or your trying to do. You don’t need a switch to power an ignition switch. The ignition switch will have a dedicated labeled prong for constant battery power. You can turn a starter motor over easy with a switch. A toggle switch or even cooler dash mounted push button is common in cars. It’s only 12v signal to the solenoid to dump power to the starter. what exactly do you need to power?
I’m wanting to put a toggle switch where the key switch is, because right now the wires aren’t working on the key switch (I’ve tried 2 separate brand new switches) so I clipped the wires on one of the new ignition switches plugged in the connector to the harness, and then touched red to black and sure enough I had power (not enough to start it I gotta charge the battery) so I figured instead of pulling the switch apart and re wiring it, I could just plug in a toggle switch instead so the power will feed through to lights/electric start on the switch instead of with a key. My original thinking was “plug the wires into the toggle switch (red/black on one prong and white/black and green on the other) and it’ll solve it” but after watching videos I’ve learned that wouldn’t work. So my thing is do I run a whole new wire from the pos terminal on battery up to the toggle switch and then loop it into the harness or what? I don’t necessarily care to have the kill switch working I just would like to get it where I don’t have to keep messing with the keys

unrelated but would you know if that connector I have my hand on is for the engine remote kill box?

Attachments

• 81976A2C-A390-447C-9836-7272AEB0C69B.jpeg
    81976A2C-A390-447C-9836-7272AEB0C69B.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4
  • 2B18ACC8-DE4A-4176-9910-F98A90D0FAD0.jpeg
    2B18ACC8-DE4A-4176-9910-F98A90D0FAD0.jpeg
    559.7 KB · Views: 4
  • D472AA59-8FE8-489A-A74C-92671E070810.png
    D472AA59-8FE8-489A-A74C-92671E070810.png
    11.7 MB · Views: 4

Thepartsguy

Reaction score
Is it the predator you just posted about? there are loads of easy to follow diagrams available but to add another one... the big post off your starter goes to the solenoid with a nice thick cable. The other side goes to the battery positive. and the middle small wire is 12v signal from the S labeled post on the ignition switch. If you don’t have a switch wire it up according to the diagram and use a screwdriver to make contact with the starter cable side post and the middle small post. If your ignition is not labeled and you need an easy universal switch gram an ignition switch from a b80 wheelhorse tractor. C8002A19-0EC2-4015-BF11-EF82DDCF5C6E.jpeg40AE5B60-1C84-4A90-B116-FD86AB9633DC.jpeg4124DE85-7A5F-46D8-B6A6-C26A179A36D8.jpeg

Thepartsguy

Reaction score
is there any labels on the back of the ignition switch. they are usually labeled and can help out a lot. They will be small letters beside each ignition switch post on the back of the switch. they tell you what each post does. post a picture of there there.

Thepartsguy

Reaction score
Hmm you can run 4 or 5 toggles to a panel. and make a dash like racecars have. your battery is grounded through the negitive cable and the positive should go to the starter.. that’s that the battery is ready for a toggle switch. Take a red wire and one end goes to positive of the battery other end goes to one post on the toggle switch. the toggle switch only has one post left to connect a wire. off that one post left of the toggle switch connect a wire. Connect the other end of that wire to the green wire of the small dc motor I showed you a picture. now run the red wire to the ground of the battery and turn the switch on. The motor will spin. But you have a big dc starter so you need a solanoid. you cannot wire the starter like I just told you. the switch will absolutely blow under the current.

Reaction score
First of all let me say thank you for the patience bro you really are helping me, just like to be extra sure. I will definitely take pictures of it when I get off work, and no this is for a 125cc atv, I know this is a kart forum but I figured the concept would be the same for either/or at least the wiring part

Thepartsguy

Reaction score
First of all let me say thank you for the patience bro you really are helping me, just like to be extra sure. I will definitely take pictures of it when I get off work, and no this is for a 125cc atv, I know this is a kart forum but I figured the concept would be the same for either/or at least the wiring part
It might have a weird solenoid deal that I have never messed with then actually. I know my neighbors wolverine has a weird setup no one can figure out.